What's new

China Executes Two Former Vice-Mayors For Bribery

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China Executes Two Former Vice-Mayors For Bribery
BEIJING, July 19 (Reuters) - China executed two former vice-mayors from two booming eastern cities for taking millions of dollars in bribes, the Supreme Court and state media said on Tuesday, as the government strives to show it is being tough on graft.

Xu Maiyong, the former vice-mayor of Hangzhou, and Jiang Renjie, the former vice-mayor of Suzhou, were executed in the morning, the court said in a brief statement on its website (?????????????).

"Xu used his official power to interfere with project contracts and to help companies and people obtain land, promotions and tax breaks," the official Xinhua news agency said.

He received 145 million yuan ($22.4 million) in bribes and embezzled another 53.59 million yuan from a state-owned property development firm, it added.

Jiang took bribes, including more than 108 million yuan in cash, from property developers, and was convicted of bribery, embezzlement and abuse of power, Xinhua said.

China's ruling Communist Party has repeatedly vowed to stamp out official corruption, a key source of public discontent as the rapidly growing economy gives senior officials opportunities to use their power for private gain.

China sacked Shanghai's powerful Communist Party boss in 2007 and the Railways Minister earlier this year.

Critics say the fight against graft is hampered by the lack of an independent judiciary, rather than one which answers firstly to the Party, and by officials not being held accountable to an electorate or by an independent media, which is also tightly controlled.

Good work - Breach of public trust must accrue the heaviest penalty possible

Pretext?

Sure that's what you wanted to say??

Investigated, tried in a court of law, found guilty of the crimes they were accused of and sentenced

The difference here is that ALL ARE EQUAL UNDER THE LAW -- it applies to all.

Think about it.

Equality before the law -- Can Shariah ever be that?

Didn't count on you to waste my time - I'm disappointed.

Think about it.

Equality before the law -- Can Shariah ever be that?

I'd reply to you if you had read the translation of Quran but since you have not, I'll let you bask in your ignorance.

execution for bribery!!! It looks cruel.... life imprisonment would have taught them the lesson!! the guys don't exist now so the lesson is for others!! anyways its china and their laws!!!...sigh

execution for bribery!!! It looks cruel.... life imprisonment would have taught them the lesson!! the guys don't exist now so the lesson is for others!! anyways its china and their laws!!!...sigh

I don't think it is cruel. I want same kind of laws here in Pakistan. Cruel or inhumane I don't care. Just execute all the thugs.

:rofl:
what use for them learnt the lesson but cannot do anything but end up in jail wasting food for a life time?
it's way better to use them to warn others dont play foul otherwise go to the hell like what they did.
well having said the above, corrupted officals of course dont agree with that.

India should implant this law, I hear Indian politicians and india is the most corrupt in the world Indian politicians will sell their mothers for Money. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom