What's new

China Dominates the World TOP500 Supercomputers

As technology advances every day, so it will not be a surprise in the future when other countries builds a super computer faster than China's. However, what is important now is that China have the technology and capacities to produce its own super computer with its own chips and knowledge; all thanks to Muercia's banning of intel chips to china.

As technology advances every day, so it will not be a surprise in the future when other countries builds a super computer faster than China's. However, what is important now is that China have the technology and capacities to produce its own super computer with its own chips and knowledge; all thanks to Muercia's banning of intel chips to china.

When other try produced faster computer than China. China will continue to advance and act faster than rivals. Nobody can beat China in supercomputer in next 20 years. :enjoy:
Our commitment to supercomputer is unrival.

When other try produced faster computer than China. China will continue to advance and act faster than rivals. Nobody can beat China in supercomputer in next 20 years. :enjoy:
Our commitment to supercomputer is unrival.

It is true that China is developing and advancing fast but who knows what will happens in 20 years time? Surely nobody would have thought China would have developed to this stage 20 years ago. And so, other countries might be able to do the same. However, even if other countries start to develop fast, it doesn't belittles what China have accomplished and will accomplish in the future. It is good for humanity as a whole if we all develop and build for a better future.

Supercomputers can accelerate machine learning progress and enable a world with machine intelligence
July 10, 2016

The Sunway TiahuLight machine is the fastest supercomputer in the world running on the 10 million-core with a peak of 125 petaflops.

The TaihuLight supercomputer is being harnessed for some interesting work on deep neural networks. What is fascinating here is that currently, the inference side of such workloads can scale to many processors, but the training side is often scale-limited hardware and software-wise.

Fu described an ongoing project on the Sunway TaihuLight machine to develop an open source deep neural network library and make the appropriate architectural optimization for both high performance and efficiency on both the training and inference parts of deep learning workloads. “Based on this architecture, we can provide support for both single and double precision as well as fixed point,” he explains. The real challenge, he says, is to understand why most existing neural network libraries cannot benefit much from running at large scale and looking at the basic elements there to get better training results over a very large number of cores.

Above are some noteworthy preliminary performance results for convolutional layers for double-precision. The efficiency isn’t outstanding (around 30%A) but Fu says they’re working on the library to bolster it and get equal or better performance than the GPU—the standard thus far for training.

Andrew Ng, Chief Scientist at Baidu’s Silicon Valley Lab and well-known AI guru, noted during his keynote at ISC16, training a speech recognition like the one at Baidu takes around 10 exaflops of compute for the entire cycle across 4 terabytes of data. That kind of scale of compute and data management is only found in HPC, and this is, as Ng said to the audience, “where machine learning could really use HPC’s help”.

Training deep neural networks is very computationally intensive: training one of Baidu's models takes tens of exaflops of work, and so HPC techniques are key to creating these models.

The faster we train our networks, the more iteration we can make on our datasets and models, and the more iterations we make, the more we advance our machine learning. This means that HPC translates into machine learning progress, which is why we have adopted the HPC point of view. Machine learning should embrace HPC. These methods will make researchers more efficient and help accelerate the progress of our whole field.

AI has made tremendous progress, and Ng is optimistic about building a better society that is embedded up and down with machine intelligence. But AI today is still very limited. Almost all the economic and social value of deep learning is through “supervised learning,” which is limited by the amount of suitably formatted (i.e., labeled) data. Looking ahead, there are many other types of AI beyond supervised learning that Ng finds exciting, such as unsupervised learning (where we have a lot more data available, because the data does not need to be labeled). There’s a lot of excitement about these other forms of learning in our group and others.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/07/supercomputers-can-accelerate-machine.html

The fast, stunning rise of China's supercomputer ecosystem which can translate into innovation leads in aircraft, cars, medicine, energy and military systems
July 22, 2016

chinasuperrise.jpg

China's supercomputer accomplishment is far more significant than one computer coming in first. Other countries have done it in the past with what’s called “stunt” machines ― fast and powerful, but unable to apply it to anything. The stunning news here is that China created a High Performance Computing (HPC) “ecosystem” in an amazingly short period of time.

Another important part of the Sunway TaihuLight announcement is that for the first time, the Chinese – built a 100 percent indigenous supercomputer. In an ironic twist, our scientists are trying to learn the recipe of the secret-sauce to the Chinese processor. China’s ecosystem also created the hardware and the middleware required to operate the computer.

Maintaining leadership in high performance computing is a national and economic security imperative. As history has shown, HPC translates into innovations in aircraft, automobiles, oil and gas, biomedical, nuclear energy and military systems.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/07/the-fast-stunning-rise-of-chinas.html

Last edited:
The fast, stunning rise of China's supercomputer ecosystem which can translate into innovation leads in aircraft, cars, medicine, energy and military systems

July 22, 2016
china, energy, future, supercomputers, united states

China's supercomputer accomplishment is far more significant than one computer coming in first. Other countries have done it in the past with what’s called “stunt” machines ― fast and powerful, but unable to apply it to anything. The stunning news here is that China created a High Performance Computing (HPC) “ecosystem” in an amazingly short period of time.

Another important part of the Sunway TaihuLight announcement is that for the first time, the Chinese – built a 100 percent indigenous supercomputer. In an ironic twist, our scientists are trying to learn the recipe of the secret-sauce to the Chinese processor. China’s ecosystem also created the hardware and the middleware required to operate the computer.

Maintaining leadership in high performance computing is a national and economic security imperative. As history has shown, HPC translates into innovations in aircraft, automobiles, oil and gas, biomedical, nuclear energy and military systems.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/07/the-fast-stunning-rise-of-chinas.html

US rise to 298 before the GFC in 2008.
After that, it started going downhill since the GFC.

In the final analysis, money talks bullsh*t walks.
If you don't have the money, you just won't have the supercomputers.

GFC was the turning point in everything. It seems there is a world before GFC and world after it.

:yahoo: That is very impressive I must say.

Just imagine 20 years ago, China has no got a single system in the list.

Today it is 168. :cheers:

I wonder how many systems China will have in the list says by 2010 or 2030 and thanks to USA, all of them will be using China's indigenous designed and made microprocessors.

:yahoo: That is very impressive I must say.

Just imagine 20 years ago, China has no got a single system in the list.

Today it is 168. :cheers:

I wonder how many systems China will have in the list says by 2010 or 2030 and thanks to USA, all of them will be using China's indigenous designed and made microprocessors.

This is just the beginning. There is such a huge need for these and next generation super computers.
We must be grateful to sanctions!

Turning crisis into opportunities in Chinese style.

But let us not get ahead of ourselves...we have a long way to go...this is just the start of second phase of development.

This is just the beginning. There is such a huge need for these and next generation super computers.
We must be grateful to sanctions!

Turning crisis into opportunities in Chinese style.

But let us not get ahead of ourselves...we have a long way to go...this is just the start of second phase of development.

In fact I am one of those who believe China in its revival should NOT be FEAR and it can and will play a great role in turning Asia into a Modern Cosmopolitan Societies with many cultural diversity.

The OBOR is a testimony to what I am saying. Rebuilding historical Asian and European Trade ties where every nations benefit.

In fact I am one of those who believe China in its revival should NOT be FEAR and it can and will play a great role in turning Asia into a Modern Cosmopolitan Societies with many cultural diversity.

The OBOR is a testimony to what I am saying. Rebuilding historical Asian and European Trade ties where every nations benefit.

I could have not said it better myself. For Harmony under the Heavens, peace and development is the only way forward. Every time China develops or creates a breakthrough it is a breakthrough for entire Asia and too some extent for Africa.

Peace and development is the key.

My sense is that the cycle of an old age of decay and suffering is nearing an end. A new cycle is beginning. The Tao is returning, my friends. The Tao is returning...

US rise to 298 before the GFC in 2008.
After that, it started going downhill since the GFC.

In the final analysis, money talks bullsh*t walks.
If you don't have the money, you just won't have the supercomputers.

GFC was the turning point in everything. It seems there is a world before GFC and world after it.
In 2008, US and the rest of the world has GFC.

But in 2008, China has a very significant event, the Beijing Olympics.

The difference is like between heaven and earth.

Enough said!

I could have not said it better myself. For Harmony under the Heavens, peace and development is the only way forward. Every time China develops or creates a breakthrough it is a breakthrough for entire Asia and too some extent for Africa.

Peace and development is the key.

My sense is that the cycle of an old age of decay and suffering is nearing an end. A new cycle is beginning. The Tao is returning, my friends. The Tao is returning...
I can't help but notice that US style of politics is "I win you lose".

Luckily for the rest of us, China's style is "I win, you win".

Those countries along the OBOR (Belt and Road Initiative) are the lucky countries.

They even have the AIIB and Silk Road Fund to lend a hand.

In 2008, US and the rest of the world has GFC.

But in 2008, China has a very significant event, the Beijing Olympics.

The difference is like between heaven and earth.

Enough said!

I can't help but notice that US style of politics is "I win you lose".

Luckily for the rest of us, China's style is "I win, you win".

Those countries along the OBOR (Belt and Road Initiative) are the lucky countries.

They even have the AIIB and Silk Road Fund to lend a hand.

The Chinese Way... is aligned with the Tao. And the Tao flows where is harmony.

Win-win and co-development is the only way forward for humanity.

The cycle of oppression, exploitation and war needs to end.

For last 500 years.. civilisations have been destroyed and exploitation has been the rule and norm. Peace must find its way now.

The Chinese Civilisation offers a way forward to humanity. However, first Asia needs to find peace and co-development.

The best way forward for Asia to join the only truly free country in Asia i.e. China. Join hands and eliminate poverty and backwardness. There must be a community of prosperity in Asia, only then there will be Harmony under the Heavens.

Thank you for your insightful observations.

Back
Top Bottom