What's new

`China doesn't want carrier competition with India'

Neuro

BANNED
Reaction score
China does not want to "engage in a carrier competition with the US or its Asian neighbours like India", a state-run Chinese daily said Thursday.

An article in the Op-Ed section of the Global Times said: "...China has neither the desire nor the strength to engage in a carrier competition with the US or its Asian neighbors like India."

"China won't initiate a war, bully neighbors with which it has territorial disputes, and claim maritime hegemony. This is a cliched speculation held by those obsessed with the Cold War mentality, no matter how China explains its intentions," it said.

The Chinese daily said the country's first aircraft carrier, originally the Ukrainian Varyag, set off for its 10th sea trial Monday and it has been followed closely by overseas observers.

"Among external interpretations there are largely two tendencies: One sees the carrier as another symbol of China's muscle-stretching strategy and thus hypes the increasing `China threat', whereas the other disparages the Varyag as a `paper tiger' and a carrier `in name only'," it said.

"It's hard to tell how long it will take before Western observers can rationally view China's carrier development as a natural, necessary step in the country's military build-up, just as with their own navies," the daily added.

Calling the Varyag an important milestone in China's rise, the article stressed that "China doesn't want to stir up more concerns and worries among its neighbors. This is also why the nation keeps a low-profile and is cautious about publicizing every single move related to its carrier development".

Stating that carrier development helps China to gain a strategic and political advantage in the increasingly complex regional dynamics, it said: "This is a pragmatic choice as the whole of Asia is entering the era of carrier development."

The daily went on to say that China has been seeking more deterrent ability to secure its development environment.

"Its defensive policy won't change no matter whether it enters the carrier era or not," it assured.

India plans to operate at least two aircraft carriers at any given time. Its Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) is under construction at the public sector Cochin Shipyard in the southern Indian state of Kerala. India also plans to build another, larger IAC that will weigh about 65,000 tonnes and is likely to be called INS Vishal.

`China doesn't want carrier competition with India'

I understand the fact that they (China) don't wanna compete with the USA, however I'm sure that they can defeat India in a industrial production thus Beating them in the Carriers arms race.

Never Trust Chinese By their words Trust them by their Actions -- an old saying

As long as they stay in Pacific ocean region and don't try to enter Indian Ocean region.

I understand the fact that they (China) don't wanna compete with the USA, however I'm sure that they can defeat India in a industrial production thus Beating them in the Carriers arms race.

1. India can not build any carrier without foreign assistance.
2. Indian aircraft carrier(s) is/are perfect proof that their military is not meant for defence, but for 'showing off'. What do they need to defend with aircraft carriers? While the list of problems engulfing their 800 million+ poor is too long to list, they want to show off to the world by procuring aircraft carriers from abroad, nuclear submarines, and ICBM all with Russian/foreign assistance after spending hundreds of billions over decades.

2. Indian aircraft carrier(s) is/are perfect proof that their military is not meant for defence, but for 'showing off'. What do they need to defend with aircraft carriers? While the list of problems engulfing their 800 million+ poor is too long to list, they want to show off to the world by procuring aircraft carriers from abroad, nuclear submarines, and ICBM all with Russian/foreign assistance after spending hundreds of billions over decades.

Is there anything, Aircraft carrier should be used for offensive purpose only?? what Thailand does with that??

you summarized well :enjoy:

:blah: :blah:

Is there anything, Aircraft carrier should be used for offensive purpose only?? what Thailand does with that??

It sits in the dock most of the time due to lack of funds. Thailand's aircraft carrier is the closest to Indian decades old aircraft carrier in terms of capabilities. Both are decades old, and serve no useful purpose.

I believe the most we need is 4 CVBG to protect our seaward sovereignty, merchant fleets and ensure the safety our citizens aboard. No competitions, no fanfares.

I think you will need none...Peace can do better job for ex-- your navy can ensure indian security in their region...
and ours in indian ocean for chinese ships..

I think you will need none...Peace can do better job for ex-- your navy can ensure indian security in their region...
and ours in indian ocean for chinese ships..

World oceans are enormous and not all countries are peaceful. A big country needs a naval reach to deter those countries that have evil intents. Diplomacy work better when you can back them up with some kind of coercions.

World oceans are enormous and not all countries are peaceful. A big country needs a naval reach to deter those countries that have evil intents. Diplomacy work better when you can back them up with some kind of coercions.

i agreed but i was talking about south asia ...
There shud not be any reason for hate b/w 2.5 billion people..

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"

Back
Top Bottom