What's new

China does not kneel before the US: it knows that without its market the western chip industry will suffer

SK Hynix sees H2 memory chip rebound; outlook helps shares brush off record loss | SaltWire

By Joyce Lee and Heekyong Yang SEOUL (Reuters) -South Korea's SK Hynix Inc on Wednesday said production cuts by memory chip makers will improve market ...
www.saltwire.com
www.saltwire.com
probably because all the other manufacturers are in anticipation of Micron soon going out of business :haha:

China accounts for at least one third of the global chip market, saying China won't affect foreign chip manufacturers is indeed BS.

Chips is not something you change everyday.

probably because all the other manufacturers are in anticipation of Micron soon going out of business :haha:
Remember when you guys were touting YMTC X-Stacking...???

YMTC could abandon 3D NAND flash market by 2024​

TrendForce points out that without the support of the key equipment providers, YMTC is now facing a huge technical obstacle in the development of its latest 3D NAND Flash technology known as Xtacking 3.0. In particular, raising yield rate for the 128L and 232L processes is going to be extremely challenging for the Chinese memory manufacturer.
TrendForce has also observed that NAND Flash buyers outside of China now harbor significant reservations about adopting YMTC’s technology. A US-based smartphone brand has hold off on procuring mobile storage solutions from YMTC. At the same time, PC OEMs that were previously going to qualify YMTC’s client SSDs have temporarily halted the customer sampling and adoption process. Based on the latest investigation, TrendForce believes that YMTC will likely be limited to operating only within Mainland China in the future. Moreover, since the Chinese memory manufacturer is being seriously hindered in its efforts to advance towards higher-layer 3D NAND technologies, it will eventually lose out on opportunities to gain more market share via capacity expansion activities.​

A few months ago, I called X-Stacking as innovative BUT logistically problematic. How about the probability that those manufacturing issues affected per wafer yield? Basically, for each complete X-stack die there must be two wafer lines, that is the logistical problem.

- There must be two extractions, one for the memory die and one for the controller die.

- There must be two bondings, one for the memory to the controller, THEN one for mated pair at the package step.

- There must be two product trackings, one for which memory die is functional, and one for which controller die is functional, and if there is a mismatch after the first bonding, the entire pair must be scrapped.

And that is just a short list. Were there enough problems post bondings that gave customers pause at adopting YMTC's new NAND process? Most likely there were. The industry has grown to expect %95 yield as standard. If I buy a batch of 100 for testing and found 15 failures, that is a batch fail even if the other 85 works perfectly. I cannot afford to install batches of 85 into my products, be it a washing machine or a car.

Granted, the operative word here is 'could', not 'will', that YMTC to exit the NAND market in 2024. But once those customers signed contracts with alternatives, that is at least two yrs wait for YMTC to even TRY to entice some of them back again.

Micron going out of business? :lol:

There is a difference here. There is no loss to China being behind US in space. China's space program is essentially a state enterprise, so was US early space program. No public competition. Semicon is not the same. The longer the Chinese semicon industry remains technology and manufacturing behind the rest, eventually the Chinese semicon industry will have to become SOE to survive where the State will force Chinese companies to use Chinese semicon products.

Decoupling from China will not be easy for the rest of the semicon industry, but it is happening. No amount of supposedly 'good' news out of China you guys post will stop that progress. You guys do not know what you are talking about and mislead the readers, but that is to be expected with propagandists. Do you deny the details I gave, details that none of you know because none of you are in the business?
And with competition US is producing inferior systems like that one-dimensional starship which had to be blown up recently shortly after takeoff. It pales in comparison to the robust capability and reusability of the Space Shuttle which was developed 50 years ago by the gov't.

And with competition US is producing inferior systems like that one-dimensional starship which had to be blown up recently shortly after takeoff. It pales in comparison to the robust capability and reusability of the Space Shuttle which was developed 50 years ago by the gov't.
You are correct. US space programs, government and civilian, are the worst. Even behind Pakistan.

Remember when you guys were touting YMTC X-Stacking...???

YMTC could abandon 3D NAND flash market by 2024​

TrendForce points out that without the support of the key equipment providers, YMTC is now facing a huge technical obstacle in the development of its latest 3D NAND Flash technology known as Xtacking 3.0. In particular, raising yield rate for the 128L and 232L processes is going to be extremely challenging for the Chinese memory manufacturer.
TrendForce has also observed that NAND Flash buyers outside of China now harbor significant reservations about adopting YMTC’s technology. A US-based smartphone brand has hold off on procuring mobile storage solutions from YMTC. At the same time, PC OEMs that were previously going to qualify YMTC’s client SSDs have temporarily halted the customer sampling and adoption process. Based on the latest investigation, TrendForce believes that YMTC will likely be limited to operating only within Mainland China in the future. Moreover, since the Chinese memory manufacturer is being seriously hindered in its efforts to advance towards higher-layer 3D NAND technologies, it will eventually lose out on opportunities to gain more market share via capacity expansion activities.​

A few months ago, I called X-Stacking as innovative BUT logistically problematic. How about the probability that those manufacturing issues affected per wafer yield? Basically, for each complete X-stack die there must be two wafer lines, that is the logistical problem.

- There must be two extractions, one for the memory die and one for the controller die.

- There must be two bondings, one for the memory to the controller, THEN one for mated pair at the package step.

- There must be two product trackings, one for which memory die is functional, and one for which controller die is functional, and if there is a mismatch after the first bonding, the entire pair must be scrapped.

And that is just a short list. Were there enough problems post bondings that gave customers pause at adopting YMTC's new NAND process? Most likely there were. The industry has grown to expect %95 yield as standard. If I buy a batch of 100 for testing and found 15 failures, that is a batch fail even if the other 85 works perfectly. I cannot afford to install batches of 85 into my products, be it a washing machine or a car.

Granted, the operative word here is 'could', not 'will', that YMTC to exit the NAND market in 2024. But once those customers signed contracts with alternatives, that is at least two yrs wait for YMTC to even TRY to entice some of them back again.

Micron going out of business? :lol:
X-Stacking has been out for years, its products have seen most extensive use in data centers and time proven in harsh environments like crypto mining, and you are doubting its basic logic now?? lol stfu gambit no one cares about what you think, the tech used to be award winning before trade war started and somehow it's 'questionable tech' now after China and US became enemies, huh? you should wonder why.

v2-234adbe522687677065f48c75651c7d1_r.jpg

As for Micron, China could use its dominant position in supply chain to exclude all Micron chips from every device or component assembled in China, teaching the Americans a lesson on how proper sanctions should be done :haha:

nfQ18j-cgo2K1bT1kSgs-7p.jpg

X-Stacking has been out for years, its products have seen most extensive use in data centers and time proven in harsh environments like crypto mining, and you are doubting its basic logic now?? lol stfu gambit no one cares about what you think, the tech used to be award winning before trade war started and somehow it's 'questionable tech' now after China and US became enemies, huh? you should wonder why.
Post 20 was not for you but for the silent readers out there, as if YOU can even visualize what I posted in the first place. I never said the X-Stacking was junk. But I was on the Intel-Micron 3DXP project and even though 3DXP was more innovative for memory in general than X-Stacking in NAND, 3DXP failed to take traction on the market despite winning multiple awards. Basic logic? WTF does that mean coming from you? You and your pals just do the usual shit by throwing out complex sounding words trying desperately to salvage face for your arguments. :lol:

Post 20 was not for you but for the silent readers out there, as if YOU can even visualize what I posted in the first place. I never said the X-Stacking was junk. But I was on the Intel-Micron 3DXP project and even though 3DXP was more innovative for memory in general than X-Stacking in NAND, 3DXP failed to take traction on the market despite winning multiple awards. Basic logic? WTF does that mean coming from you? You and your pals just do the usual shit by throwing out complex sounding words trying desperately to salvage face for your arguments. :lol:
Optane is such a scam now that you have mentioned it

Optane is such a scam now that you have mentioned it
If so, then same for YMTC X-Stacking. Probably X-Stacking more so. Optane failed in the market mainly because of price. Intel failed to optimize the technology's manufacturing methods to make it price attractive. But according to NAND customers, it looks like X-Stacking is not as good an alternative as YMTC claimed.

That report is from 2022

Below is a report from 2023
China’s YMTC set for chip comeback despite US export controls Memory-chip maker to rely on local equipment suppliers for 2024 manufacturing plans

I read the US fab start-ups are having difficulty finding qualified engineers, even infastructure are short 300,000 workers.
Do you dispute my assertion that it could take up to two yrs for products from a new process change to pass engineering quals and acceptance by customers and/or potential customers, and that using tools from unknown Chinese toolmakers qualify as a process change? Let us see what YOU know about the semicon industry.

Do you dispute my assertion that it could take up to two yrs for products from a new process change to pass engineering quals and acceptance by customers and/or potential customers, and that using tools from unknown Chinese toolmakers qualify as a process change? Let us see what YOU know about the semicon industry.
I'm pointing out your trendforce speculation from 2022 is redundant. YMTC already has 128L Xtacking 3.0 for sale. Selling outside of the mainland too!
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/acer-predator-gm7-1-tb/

Back
Top Bottom