cirr

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
NEWS - NATIONAL | 2014-05-12

China develops Namibia - Pohamba

Adam Hartman

IT WAS all praise for China by President Hifikepunye Pohamba at the start-up of Swakop Uranium’s N$20 billion Husab Uranium Mine, and the groundbreaking ceremony of the N$3 billion Namport container terminal last week.

China has the majority 90% stake in Swakop Uranium’s Husab through Taurus Minerals Limited, which is owned by China General Nuclear Power Company.

China is also the main contractor for the N$3 billion container terminal through its China Harbour Engineering Company, which is a subsidiary of China Communications Construction Company (a Fortune 500 company).

Both events last week were described as historic; being the biggest investment by China into Africa, and also the biggest infrastructural development in Namibia to be carried out by the Chinese.

Pohamba was also full of praise for China for its role in training and arming Namibian freedom fighters to “defeat the racist South African apartheid regime” that paved the way for Namibia’s independence.

He said that China helped Namibia with “vast assistance” when former President Sam Nujoma approached the Chinese government in 1963 to assist in the struggle against South Africa.

“I think I am going to be misinterpreted by the press. The Chinese were requested by Sam Nujoma to come and train the Namibian freedom fighters. At that time I was given the charge for some activities. The Chinese also gave us a lot of guns. They gave us a lot of guns that we used to fight the racist apartheid occupiers of our country. The weapons you gave us were effective. We used them effectively. Because of the effectiveness of the weapons, when we had them, we feared no SA racist because we knew that having them in our hands we can defend ourselves, and indeed we did defend ourselves,” said Pohamba at the commissioning of the Husab mine. “

Pohamba further praised the Chinese for their hard work and the quality of their work.

He said that Namibians use all their time watching the clock to see when it was time to go home.

“The Namibian workers will blame the Chinese, saying the Chinese are no good because the Chinese work extra hours,” said Pohamba.:coffee::hitwall::enjoy:

http://www.namibian.com.na/indexx.php?id=12708&page_type=story_detail&category_id=1

Pohamba commissions uranium mine

Posted by: APA Posted date : May 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm UTC 88 views In: business

Namibian President Hifikepunye Pohamba on Thursday commissioned the multi-billion-dollar Swakop Uranium’s Husab Mine that is expected to make the southern African country the second largest uranium mine in the world after Kazakhstan:enjoy:. Pohamba said the mine was one of the largest construction projects ever undertaken in Namibia as well as one of the largest single investments by a Chinese company in Africa to date.

The mine, located in Erongo region, is projected to have annual production of 15 million pounds of uranium oxide, which is more than total current production of the uranium output in the southern African state.

Production is expected start in the last half of 2015, with more than 2,000 jobs created at the mine whose projected lifespan is 20 years.

The construction of the mine by Taurus Mineral Limited, a joint venture of China Guangdong Nuclear Power Group and China Africa Development, started in November 2012.

The Chinese own 90 percent of the mine while Epangelo Mining Company, wholly owned by the Namibian government, owns 10 percent.

The investors have so far spent over US$669 million into the development of the mine while total capital expenditure is expected to exceed US$2 billion.

Pohamba commissions uranium mine - business - News - StarAfrica.com

Back
Top Bottom