What's new

China Companies Rank Lowest in Survey of Transparency Reporting

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
China Companies Rank Lowest in Survey of Transparency Reporting - Bloomberg

Chinese companies ranked the lowest in a survey of public reporting practices in emerging markets, underscoring concern that the government’s anti-corruption campaign may not take root in the corporate sector.
The 33 Chinese multinationals surveyed averaged a score of 2 out of 10 points in Berlin-based Transparency International’s “Transparency in Corporate Reporting” survey, released today. Chery Automobile Co., the closely held carmaker based in Wuhu, China, joined one other company among the 100 surveyed with a score of zero across the three categories measured.
The report draws attention to a Chinese business environment that’s ripe for corruption because of minimal public-reporting requirements. Leaders of the ruling Communist Party have warned that corruption threatens their grip on power and have announced anti-graft investigations of a number of officials in recent months.
“Results show that companies from China lag behind in every dimension,” Transparency International said in the report. “Considering their growing influence in markets around the world, this poor performance is of concern.”
Companies from India fared the best, with Tata Communications Ltd. (TCOM) leading the list with a score of 7.1. Tata Global Beverages Ltd. (TGBL) and Tata Steel Ltd. (TATA) were second and third. Lenovo Group Ltd. was the highest ranking Chinese company at 19.
Angela Lee, a Beijing-based spokeswoman for Lenovo, didn’t immediately reply to an e-mailed request for comment.
The study measured three categories: reporting on anti-corruption programs, organizational transparency and country-by-country reporting of revenue, expenses and tax payments.
Government Connections
Transparency International urged emerging-market companies to disclose their anti-corruption measures and government connections. It said 60 percent of those surveyed didn’t disclose information about political contributions.
Indian companies performed well thanks to laws that require them to publish key financial information about their subsidiaries, the report said. Seventy Five of the companies surveyed were from BRICS nations -- Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
Eight of the 10 lowest ranking companies on the list were Chinese, including China National Chemical Corp. and China Shipbuilding Industry Corp. Along with Chery, Mexico’s Controladora Mabe SA scored zero points.
“With the notable exception of the Indian companies, most emerging market companies in the sample are still a very long way from disclosing financial data across all countries of operations,” the report said.

8 out 10 lowest were Chinese firms....says a lot about Chinese quality.

Good to know that Indian companies fared well.

May be the companies are forced to stop being transparent by CCP dictators. What else it could be

I wonder why foreign investment in China dwarfs that of India, when the latter is more 'transparent'. Is it because foreign investors trust India's transparency as much as they do India's official rape statistics?

You had made a very good point but u ruined it with the comment on rape statistic.

It's called killing two birds with one stone :laugh:

Well his comment was more like killing the stone with another stone. Because he made such a valid point but ended up posting about rape. Which will now ruin the discussion.

What has rape to do with corporate transparency?

Well his comment was more like killing the stone with another stone. Because he made such a valid point but ended up posting about rape. Which will now ruin the discussion.

What has rape to do with corporate transparency?

Not rape per se, but rape statistic. Government transparency.

Not rape per se, but rape statistic. Government transparency.

I think you already know that the press in India is very vocal about the happenings in the society. The numbers given by the government are official i.e. depends on the police complaints launched by the victims.

The government numbers are small because very few victims go public about it or file a complaint. So much said i myself do know the ground realities and i can assure you things are very transparent the media is free so much so that they write what ever they want and cover any story of their choice.

The rape incidents are sad and i myself feel so ashamed because of such acts but we are a developing society so things will change for the positive with education. Lets just leave the rape topic it just encourages trolling.

8 out 10 lowest were Chinese firms....says a lot about Chinese quality.

Good to know that Indian companies fared well.

did you even read the article? This BS survey has nothing to do with quality genius. quality and Indians do not belong in the same sentence.

Back
Top Bottom