What's new

China bans burqa in Xinjiang city with largest Muslim population

The_Showstopper

Reaction score
Country
India
China bans burqa in Xinjiang city with largest Muslim population
Jan 14, 2015 16:12 IST

• The burqa ban was "considered and approved" by the Urumqi parliament's Standing Committee on Wednesday, the official news website of the Xinjiang government said.

It is scheduled to come into force after review by the Xinjiang parliament's Standing Committee before it is formally announced, the website Tianshan.net, reported.

Xinjiang, home to the Uighur people who speak a Turkic language, has been beset for years by violence that the government blames on Islamist militants or separatists.

James Leibold, an expert on China's ethnic policy from Melbourne's La Trobe University, said the ban on the veils or burqa would make them "more popular as a symbol of resistance and assertion of ethno-national identity".

"The Party has drawn a one-to-one link between these styles of head, face and body covering and religious extremist thought and violence," said Leibold, who is researching anti-veiling practices in Xinjiang.

"It's a very crude and counterproductive way of trying to deal with the problem of terrorism."

Exiles and many rights groups say the real cause of the unrest is China's heavy-handed policies, including curbs on Islam and the culture and language of the Uighurs.

Last month, Xinjiang said it has banned the practice of religion in government buildings and people will be prohibited from wearing or forcing others to wear clothes or logos associated with religious extremism, in a package of regulations aimed at combating separatism.

In August, Karamay, a northwestern city in Xinjiang, banned people with head scarves, burqas and long beards from boarding buses.
China bans burqa in Xinjiang city with largest Muslim population - Firstpost

No wonder Hinduwadis these days have started respecting China a lot.

The fact remains that China is persecuting our muslims brothers & sisters in xinxiang. It would be a shame & hypocritical if any muslim tries to defend it. Worse its officially communist state. But it supposedly allowed religious freedom after deng xiaoping took over and ended the "cultural revolution" experiment. xinxiang muslims r severly persecuted from practicing islam even in their private lives. Chinese flag on the wall of the mosque, banning people from fasting, preventing young muslims from going to the mosque etc. When it becomes almost impossible to practice islam in a non-muslim land , it actually becomes obligatory on muslims (those who r able to) to migrate to more tolerant society , preferably muslims lands. Will turkey/PAK allow persecuted Uighur refugees in their country or will some of them (minority) consider uighurs lesser human in their western defined nation-state narrative. I know many in my country considered persecuted rohingyas such when that maggot witch Hasina shut down the door on their face.

Having said all that why doesn't china just leave uighur muslims alone? U r already a majority in xinxiang. Muslims don't harbor any ambition to kick chinese out of there so u definitely r not paranoid. How abt u chinese stand by your declared principle of religious freedom and not persecute religious groups? It won't do u any harm, improve your standing and image in resource rich muslims world and eliminate your fear of extremism. By persecuting muslims u r making china a breeding ground for extremism.

Btw its amusing to see hindutvadi bigots cheering the chinese on. China seem to have made good friends out of hindutvadi bigots.

Last edited:
I am not sure about the others, but I am a big fan of China and the way it conducts and presents its nationalism on top of all religious nuts..Good job..China..
Will never happen in India though.

The fact remains that China is persecuting our muslims brothers & sisters in xinxiang. It would be a shame & hypocritical if any muslim tries to defend it. Worse its officially communist state. But it supposedly allowed religious freedom after deng xiaoping took over and ended the "cultural revolution" experiment. xinxiang muslims r severly persecuted from practicing islam even in their private lives. Chinese flag on the wall of the mosque, banning people from fasting, preventing young muslims from going to the mosque etc. When it becomes almost impossible to practice islam in a non-muslim land , it actually becomes obligatory on muslims (those who r able to) to migrate to more tolerant society , preferably muslims lands. Will turkey/PAK allow persecuted Uighur refugees in their country or will some of them (minority) consider uighurs lesser human in their western defined nation-state narrative. I know many in my country considered persecuted rohingyas such when that maggot witch Hasina shut down the door on their face.

Having said all that why doesn't china just leave uighur muslims alone? U r already a majority in xinxiang. Muslims don't harbor any ambition to kick chinese out of there so u definitely r not paranoid. How abt u chinese respecting the declared values u stand by and not persecute religious groups? It won't do u any harm, improve your standing and image in resource rich muslims world and eliminate your fear of extremism. By persecuting muslims u r making china a breeding ground for extremism.

Btw its amusing to see hindutvadi bigots cheering the chinese on. China seem to have made good friends out of hindutvadi bigots.

Of course...when India haters have a bad day...I enjoy a lot...and again..this is week end too..

Will never happen in India though.

I know...and that is the sad part...and because Indian always think religion more important than nationality, so China will always ahead of India....This is an unfortunate fact...

Having said all that why doesn't china just leave uighur muslims alone? U r already a majority in xinxiang. Muslims don't harbor any ambition to kick chinese out of there so u definitely r not paranoid. How abt u chinese stand by your declared principle of religious freedom and not persecute religious groups? It won't do u any harm, improve your standing and image in resource rich muslims world and eliminate your fear of extremism. By persecuting muslims u r making china a breeding ground for extremism.

China is a secular nation that doesn't want to get involved in religious BS and having learnt lessons from all over world regarding muslims, they have decided to crack down on the virus that tries to drag the world back to the medieval age. World is not built to respect you.

Respect values of liberty and freedom ....why ban on burqa???

Of course...when India haters have a bad day...I enjoy a lot...and again..this is week end too..

I know...and that is the sad part...and because Indian always think religion more important than nationality, so China will always ahead of India....This is an unfortunate fact...

India one of the forces that keep India together It's the religion. So religion is naturally a driving force for its gov as this is needed for its existence. Otherwise, India can split into many countries with the old princely state boundaries.

India one of the forces that keep India together It's the religion. So religion is naturally a driving force for its gov as this is needed for its existence. Otherwise, India can split into many countries with the old princely state boundaries.
Which religion do you follow

RSS/Bajrang Dal/RAW somehow convinced CPC to impose ban on Burqa to oppress Muslims. This is to break the taller-higher relationship. That's the only possible explanation I can come up with.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom