What's new

China-backed HK Airlines may cancel A380 order - report

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong Airlines Ltd has threatened to cancel an aircraft order with Airbus due to growing tensions between China and the European Union over the bloc's emissions trading scheme, a local newspaper reported on Thursday.

The Hong Kong-based regional carrier, which is backed by China's fourth-largest carrier Hainan Airlines Co Ltd <600221.SS>, said it was under pressure to cancel its order for 10 Airbus A380 aircraft with a list value of $3.8 billion, the South China Morning Post said.

"We cannot do something which is against our country's interests," the newspaper quoted airline President Yang Jianhong as saying.

Good. :tup:

The EU is trying to tax the rest of the world, to pay for their own economic incompetence. But we'll get the money back one way or another.

--------------------

BBC News - Countries rally against EU carbon tax on airlines

Delegates from 26 countries opposed to a new EU carbon tax on airlines are meeting in Moscow to consider possible retaliation, amid fears of a trade war.

China, India, Russia and the US are among the countries opposed to the EU fee, which took effect on 1 January.

Critics say the EU has no right to impose taxes on flights to or from destinations outside Europe.

Sometimes I wonder if EU is really playing realpolitik. When it does things as cynical as regime change in Libya, I tend to think so. But then it promotes these dumb hippie policies that manage to piss off everyone: China, Russia, India and the USA.

This is really a joke, I suggest that EU charge each individual customer for Co2 emission, and double that for those who fart.

The world outside Europe are against its emission fee scheme. I hope Europe will finally understand the consequence.

I kinda agree with the emission tax if they changed 2 points about it
  • make the tax only count for flying above the EU, not for the whole trip
  • make sure the money goes to ecological goals, now it's obviously just used to cover up debt

a380 and 777-300er r the best planes ever made!!!

Back
Top Bottom