What's new

China and Europe stand out on world map of atheism

It's the lunar 7th month now. Do mainland Chinese 'celebrate' the festival? I know the Chinese in Malaysia, HK and Taiwan celebrate the festival too so I assumed it was a common Chinese cultural festival. But I was surprised that many mainland Chinese tourists were curious about the festivities when they visited Singapore during this period.

Singapore:

Taiwan:

This one together with some cultural events that were determined as too superstitious and don’t add value to the advancement of the nation has been removed in mainland China. Naturally it is a bit controversial. Personally I am all for it. To be fair, it has always been controversial when any changes to the traditions, which cover a wide range of things in China, were proposed, particularly in the imperial era when conservatism was dominant.

By the way in the recent years some of these removed cultural events have resurged in the society, taking advantage of current celebration of traditional culture.

East Asia is the least religious region in the world while South Asia is the most.
And you can see the development difference between the two

This one together with some cultural events that were determined as too superstitious and don’t add value to the advancement of the nation has been removed in mainland China. Naturally it is a bit controversial. Personally I am all for it. To be fair, it has always been controversial when any changes to the traditions, which cover a wide range of things in China, were proposed, particularly in the imperial era when conservatism was dominant.

By the way in the recent years some of these removed cultural events have resurged in the society, taking advantage of current celebration of traditional culture.
People who believe in July 7th has been tricked by Emperor Zhu for 600 years

I am also for the retention of traditional festivals. They have historical value, culturally informed and became folkloric rather than religious.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom