What's new

China 2.0: MEGA Cities, SMART Cities

Thank you @AndrewJin for your high quality thread as usual... this info will teach me to know Chongqing better :p: (never visit this municipality, just airport transit to Lhasa few years ago)
btw you have set a certain high standard for creating some particular topic in PDF :pdf:

I wonder if the HQ videos are available in the Baidu Cloud, will try to look there for this significant series. Last time when I dug there I got the last three matches of 中国女排 at Rio 1080i HDTV CCTV5 TS files, each >10 gigs :cheesy: and CCTV9's Roof of the World EP1-6 about the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, an awesome series.

Grab those youtube vids and make a good playlist (10 vids)... seems you'd uploaded these vids (1-7) there by your own :-) "Jin V"

One rationale to establish Chongqing Municipality was to provide Chengdu and Chongqing equal chance, otherwise, there would be 2 equally huge metropolises (Chongqing and Chengdu) within one province. As the Chinese saying goes, one mountain cannot accommodate 2 tigers. Ever since Chongqing was no longer administered by Sichuan Province, both Chengdu and Chongqing have developed at an unprecedented speed without internal power struggle within one province.

Chongqing

Chengdu
Good explanation! Yes, today both are immense cities... and I think both are the anchor cities of the land routes to western regions in OBOR Initiative.

It's a 3D transport network which even include elevator and lifts as public transport methods.

View attachment 379328 View attachment 379331 View attachment 379330 View attachment 379329
Just to make sure... are these CGIs or real pics? Planning or already built?

1997-2017
20 years of establishment as an independent municipality

Chongqing became the spearhead of China's effort to develop its western regions and to coordinate the resettlement of residents from the reservoir areas of the Three Gorges Dam project. Its first official ceremony took place on the 18 June 1997.

To pay tribute to the 20th anniversary, Chongqing TV prepared a video in 2016 about the scenery and development districts and counties within the municipality (as big as a province), finally launched during 2017 Spring Festival after the tragic crash of the helicopter into the mountains claiming 2 pilots and 2 cameramen.

0-9:40 The main city (Chongqing Proper), the traditional Chongqing
9:45-35:20 Outer districts and counties outside the main city
35:20-end Chongqing main city at night

It's sad to learn that the creation of these monumental series did cost four lives in the process. The eventual aired release --and I hope the series will be aired widely through various networks incl. possibly the CGTN Documentary / CGTN channel (formerly CCTV [Eng]) / CCTV 4 中文国际 some time later-- should serve as a good remembrance of the fallen crews. RIP!

Last edited:
Thank you @AndrewJin for your high quality thread as usual... this info will teach me to know Chongqing better :p: (never visit this municipality, just airport transit to Lhasa few years ago)
btw you have set a certain high standard for creating some particular topic in PDF :pdf:

I wonder if the HQ videos are available in the Baidu Cloud, will try to look there for this significant series. Last time when I dug there I got the last three matches of 中国女排 at Rio 1080i HDTV CCTV5 TS files, each >10 gigs :cheesy: and CCTV9's Roof of the World EP1-6 about the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, an awesome series.

Grab those youtube vids and make a good playlist (10 vids)... seems you'd uploaded these vids (1-7) there by your own :-) "Jin V"

Good explanation! Yes, today both are immense cities... and I think both are the anchor cities of the land routes to western regions in OBOR Initiative.

It's sad to learn that the creation of these monumental series did cost four lives in the process. The eventual aired release --and I hope the series will be aired widely through various networks incl. possibly the CGTN Documentary / CGTN channel (formerly CCTV [Eng]) / CCTV 4 中文国际 some time later-- should serve as a good remembrance of the fallen crews. RIP!
Sorry, that's not me. I have never uploaded videos in ANY website.
I'll reply you later!

All my accounts are related to Pika, this is not me.
I am very lazy, I never upload or download.

All pics are real, i can personally confirm from my own travel experiences to Chongqing.
轻轨列车驶出牛角沱车站.jpg

Last edited:
Chongqing City in 1990s
Chongqing City 1990s.jpg

Chongqing City in 2016
Chongqing City 2016.jpg

Chongqing City 2016 3.jpg

Chongqing City 2016 4.jpg

Love China Speed of Developments :smitten:

Chongqing City is one of my favourite city in Western China, beside Xian City of course.
Chongqing is Pearl in the West of China.

by the way, any update news about this Huge Project Construction in Chongqing City, brother? @AndrewJin @Shotgunner51
Chongqing City Future.jpg

Chongqing City in 1990s
View attachment 381832

Chongqing City in 2016
View attachment 381834
View attachment 381835
View attachment 381836

Love China Speed of Developments :smitten:

Chongqing City is one of my favourite city in Western China, beside Xian City of course.
Chongqing is Pearl in the West of China.

by the way, any update news about this Huge Project Construction in Chongqing City, brother? @AndrewJin @Shotgunner51
View attachment 381839
Last time when I was there boarding a ferry, there was a huge construction site there.
I am more concerned about their HSRs and HSR station construction....
Chongqing is extremely left behind in this area.
No 350km/h HSR yet, only 200-250km/h lines.

Only by building more transportation infra can these beautiful national parks in Chongqing be better accessible to Chinese tourists.

奉节天坑.jpeg
屏幕快照 2016-11-28 11.21.23.jpg
长寿湖.jpg

1113581610_14181331455951n.jpg
武隆天生三桥.jpg

All in Chongqing....

Metro projects in Chongqing
11 lines start or continue construction in 2017
300km in total

213km in operation by Dec. 2016

74 ★轨道交通环线工程 市轨道集团 2014—2020 续建 全长50.8公里。 工程施工。
75 ★轨道交通四号线一期工程 市轨道集团 2014—2018 续建 全长15.6公里。 工程施工。
76 ★轨道交通五号线一期工程 市轨道集团 2014—2020 续建 全长39.7公里。 工程施工。
77 ★轨道交通六号线支线二期工程 市轨道集团 2016—2020 续建 全长14公里。 土建施工。
78 ★轨道交通九号线一期工程 待定 2016—2020 续建 全长32.3公里。 土建施工。
79 ★轨道交通九号线二期工程 市城乡建委 2017—2021 新开工 全长8.2公里。 开工建设。
80 ★轨道交通十号线一期工程 市轨道集团 2014—2018 续建 全长34.3公里。 工程施工。
81 ★轨道交通十号线二期工程 市轨道集团 2017—2020 新开工 全长10公里。 土建施工。
82 ★轨道延长线跳磴至江津段项目 重庆交通开投集团 2015—2019 续建 全长50.1公里。 土建施工。
83 ★轨道交通尖顶坡至璧山段项目 璧山区城市建设投资有限公司 2014—2018 续建 全长5.6公里。 工程施工。
84 ★轨道延长线璧山至铜梁段项目 市铁路集团 2017—2020 新开工 全长34公里。 开工建设。

Chongqing metro 2020 (模糊版).png

Thanks @AndrewJin for your clarifications, the pics are so cool that they seem unreal :-) btw you provide so many high quality stuffs (esp. the pictorial ones) that they're choking their beholders. Some other time I'll share some with others through other medium. Many outsiders will never truly have ideas that China is that beautiful and has been developing as such.

ChongqingBombing.jpg

Chongqing ww2

Chongqing 2017 is built over the ashes of tragedy.

How times change yet the resilience of the Chinese people remain the same.

Yes, many Chinese cities were in ruins after WW2.
But the spirit of a city remains forever.

View attachment 382050
And Chongqing was in particular famous for its central stage role at one occasion as the temporary center of administration during the War of Resistance Against The Japanese whereas the city was bombed relentlessly for some duration (many days) by a fleet of Japanese bombers and turned into ruins! I watched the several related documentaries on few occasions.

Last edited:
Beijing to keep permanent population under 23 million
(People's Daily Online) 16:37, March 28, 2017

FOREIGN201703281659000489006360408.jpg

(file photo)

The Beijing Municipal Commission of Urban Planning (BMCUP) announced on March 28 that it has finished compiling the city’s overall plan from 2016 to 2030. Public opinion on the draft will be solicited from March 29 to April 27.

According to the draft, Beijing's permanent residents will number fewer than 23 million by 2020, and that number will be maintained in the long term. The Beijing government will also work to optimize the population structure, improve population quality and actively respond to the aging problem.

The draft states that by 2030, the city’s forest coverage rate will be above 45 percent and the green commuting ratio will be above 80 percent. Urban rail lines are also scheduled to expand to 1,000 kilometers by that time.

In terms of air quality, the city’s annual average concentration of fine particulate matter PM 2.5 will be around 56 micrograms per cubicmeter in 2020, and will meet the national standard of 35 micrograms per cubic meter by 2030.

Good that the Beijing government has a comprehensive plan for the city, including pollution.

China builds a mega-city larger than Britain with over 100 million people
  • Nation combines its capital with nearby cities to form a 'megatropolis'
  • The region would cover 83,403 square miles and have 100 million people
  • Rail network has been planned to realise a 'one-hour commute zone'
  • Another mega-city is forming in southern China with 64 million residents
By Tracy You For Mailonline

PUBLISHED: 17:14 BST, 28 March 2017 | UPDATED: 17:35 BST, 28 March 2017

A mega-city is set to appear in China, which would be home to around one-tenth of the country's population.

More than 100 million residents would be living within the 'megatropolis', which is larger than Britain, or some 137 times the size of London.

The authority plans to build an extensive network of high-speed railways and motorways to make sure that by 2020, residents of the humongous Jing-Jin-Ji urbanised region would spend less than an hour on their commutes.

Mega City 3.jpg

A massive urbanised region is forming around the Chinese capital city of Beijing

Mega City 4.jpg

The mega-city, 137 times the size of London, is set to consolidate Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei

Situated in the north-east part of China on the coast of Bohai Sea, the planned mega-city is set to consolidate some of China's most populous urban areas.

It's set to include Beijing and Tianjin, with 20 million and 13 million residents respectively, as well as Hebei, the province that surrounds them and has 74.2 million residents.

It's also about 137 times the size of Greater London, which occupies 607 square miles (1,572 square kilometres).

Other major cities in Jing-Jin-Ji region include Shijiazhuang, the provincial capital of Hebei with around 10 million people, Chengde, the summer retreat of ancient emperors and Qinghuangdao, the eastern end of the Great Wall of China.

Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei are known as Jing, Jin and Ji in short.

Vast resources have been poured into the mega-city.

Last year, more than 340 billion yuan (£40 billion) was invested in Jing-Jin-Ji's five pillar industries, namely education, health, transport, ecology and human resources, reported China's Economic Information Daily.

By 2020, eight new intercity railways would be completed; and by 2050, a further 16 would appear on the map.

In November, the Chinese government approved some 250 billion yuan (£29 billion) for the region to build 700 miles (91,126 kilometres) of railways within three years, according to an article on NBC News.

Mega City 6.jpg

Jing-Jin-Ji would cover a whopping 83,403 square miles with Beijing (pictured) at its core

Mega City 8.jpg

The major part of the mega-city would be the current Hebei Province, whose Hebei Academy (pictured) looks like Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

The development of the Jing-Jin-Ji mega-city was first approved by China's National Development and Reform Commission in 2014, which called for a 'new capital economic zone'.

According to the vision, Beijing will remain as the Chinese capital and the political and financial centre. The city is set to cut down its manufacturing industry and focus on the energy-saving and environmental sectors.

Some of the manufacturers are due to be moved to harbour city Tianjin, which would also focus on its Free Trade Zone.

On the other hand, Hebei would expand its clean manufacturing and wholesale trading industries.

Although the government planned to develop the three regions on a collaborative effort, it's understood that up until now authorities from Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei have been drafting their administrative plans separately.

However earlier this month, the China's National Development and Reform Commission said they are due to break the administrative barriers between the three regions, reported Xinhua News Agency.

According to Minister He Lifeng, the Commission is preparing a plan to officially combine Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei.

Mega City 9.jpg

The government is set to build 24 railways by 2050 to help with people's commutes

It's also thought that the plan could facilitate the 2022 Winter Olympics, which will be jointly held by Beijing and Zhangjiakou, both in the Jing-Jin-Ji mega-city.

Jing-Jin-Ji is not the only super urban region in China. In Pearl River Delta Region another mega-city measuring some 180,000 square kilometres (70,000 square miles) is forming.

With an estimated population of 64 million people, the southern China's financial and manufacturing hub stretches from Guangzhou to Shenzhen, which borders Hong Kong.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4356676/China-builds-mega-city-larger-Great-Britain.html

THE MEGA-CITY HAS MORE PEOPLE THAN...
The Jing-Jin-Ji urbanised region has more residents than many countries in the world.

Some notable countries include Philippines (103,796,832), Vietnam (95,414,640), Germany (80,636,124), Turkey (80,417,526) and United Kingdom (65,511,098).

The mega-city's population is also about a third of that of the United States and half of that of Brazil.

Source: United Nations Population Division, Worldometers

:coffee::china:

A "city" of this size is really hard to manage

images

Back
Top Bottom