What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Well going back to 2011 for Nemesis - whatever the heck happened to these guys?

A snapshot of young Dhaka...in a microcosm...

Dukho Bilash (Poignant Luxury) | Artcell

And now one from a Kolkata Band - Chandrabindoo

Hanuman Langurs visit police station to complain about mistreatment of their young.

Nobel revives an old Bengali standard, 'Amai Deko Na'.

And the same song with a Latin/Spanish vibe in 'Winds of Change', rendered by Aditi Singh Sharma from India.

Oldie but goodie, "Shey jey boshey aachhey - eka eka"

Perfect to listen with that special someone

Bengali becomes London’s second language

London.jpg

Bengali has been officially named as the second most-spoken language in London, followed by Polish and Turkish – with around 165,311 London residents speaking one of the three as their first language.

Yet less than one in 10 Brits (8%) can fluently speak a second language, which means they’re potentially missing out on friendships, relationships and even partnerships with the many speakers of foreign languages across the capital – especially as 311,210 London residents speak a foreign language as their main language at home.

In order to highlight and celebrate London’s cultural diversity, as well as encourage residents to connect with each other, particularly in the current political climate, adult learning charity, City Lit conducted research to find out the most common foreign languages spoken in boroughs of the capital.

The research identified the main languages that London residents speak in their homes aside from English, allowing City Lit to reveal the l foreign languages spoken most within every London borough.

Bengali is officially the second language of London, with around 71,609 London residents speaking it as their main language. It’s the most common main language people speak, second only to English, across three different boroughs – 3% of Camden residents say Bengali is their main language at home, as do 7% of Newham residents and 18% of those living in Tower Hamlets.

Despite this being the main language of such a large number of Londoners, only a mere 3% of Brits can speak fluent Bengali – meaning 97% of the nation is potentially unable to have an effective, in-depth conversation with people who speak it as their main language

Polish is the second most common foreign language spoken by Londoners, with seven boroughs stating this is the second most spoken main language after English. Again, only 3% of Brits can speak fluent Polish – meaning 97% of people in the UK could be missing out on connecting with 48,585 London residents.
BrickLane.jpg

83242297_530451134231826_9155688025194233856_o.jpg

82785210_530443810899225_9127944971708530688_o.jpg

Bengali becomes London’s second language

London.jpg

Bengali has been officially named as the second most-spoken language in London, followed by Polish and Turkish – with around 165,311 London residents speaking one of the three as their first language.

Yet less than one in 10 Brits (8%) can fluently speak a second language, which means they’re potentially missing out on friendships, relationships and even partnerships with the many speakers of foreign languages across the capital – especially as 311,210 London residents speak a foreign language as their main language at home.

In order to highlight and celebrate London’s cultural diversity, as well as encourage residents to connect with each other, particularly in the current political climate, adult learning charity, City Lit conducted research to find out the most common foreign languages spoken in boroughs of the capital.

The research identified the main languages that London residents speak in their homes aside from English, allowing City Lit to reveal the l foreign languages spoken most within every London borough.

Bengali is officially the second language of London, with around 71,609 London residents speaking it as their main language. It’s the most common main language people speak, second only to English, across three different boroughs – 3% of Camden residents say Bengali is their main language at home, as do 7% of Newham residents and 18% of those living in Tower Hamlets.

Despite this being the main language of such a large number of Londoners, only a mere 3% of Brits can speak fluent Bengali – meaning 97% of the nation is potentially unable to have an effective, in-depth conversation with people who speak it as their main language

Polish is the second most common foreign language spoken by Londoners, with seven boroughs stating this is the second most spoken main language after English. Again, only 3% of Brits can speak fluent Polish – meaning 97% of people in the UK could be missing out on connecting with 48,585 London residents.
BrickLane.jpg

83242297_530451134231826_9155688025194233856_o.jpg

82785210_530443810899225_9127944971708530688_o.jpg

I am surprised they didn't recognise sylheti "language"!!

Last edited:
I am surprised they didn't recognise sylheti "language"!!

I don't know if Sylheti has official status as a language, as distinct as it is. It does have status as a dialect in Bangladesh. Since Sylhetis qualify as honored Bangladesh citizens (just like other regions), the official language spoken is recognized as Bengali.

Same for Chittagonian and other major dialects which have commonality with Bengali which the majority in the region have decided to speak as a standardized language.

When I was younger, I traveled all over Bangladesh, and though folks spoke different dialects at home, they all had no issues speaking to me in standard Bangla. There is no major difference between the dialects, the terms are at worst, still 50% understandable/interchangeable between standard Bangla, or even Dhakaiya slang Bangla.

I don't know if Sylheti has official status as a language, as distinct as it is. It does have status as a dialect in Bangladesh. Since Sylhetis qualify as honored Bangladesh citizens (just like other regions), the official language spoken is recognized as Bengali.

Same for Chittagonian and other major dialects which have commonality with Bengali which the majority in the region have decided to speak as a standardized language.

When I was younger, I traveled all over Bangladesh, and though folks spoke different dialects at home, they all had no issues speaking to me in standard Bangla. There is no major difference between the dialects, the terms are at worst, still 50% understandable/interchangeable between standard Bangla, or even Dhakaiya slang Bangla.

Agree 100% but some like to dream that they are a special breed just because their language sounds "funky", "distinct" and "unique" in their opinion.

Some individuals relish the feeling of exclusivity. Apparently being Bangladeshis isn't enough, they need to be recognized for their "special" contribution.

Now I must stop before some flower takes offence and reports me, not risking another argument with trolls.

Agree 100% but some like to dream that they are a special breed just because their language sounds "funky", "distinct" and "unique" in their opinion.

Some individuals relish the feeling of exclusivity. Apparently being Bangladeshis isn't enough, they need to be recognized for their "special" contribution.

Now I must stop before some flower takes offence and reports me, not risking another argument with trolls.

Ha ha ha Chhaira Dao. :lol:

Some folks think that they are 'special'. You find people like that everywhere.

Read comments for a good laugh, sanghis are completely losing their shit when people say 'Joy Bangla'. This bihari was pretending to be a bangali instead he got his posterior welted.

According to him "Joy Bangla" is a Bangladeshi slogan. Do we have patent or intellectual property rights on it ?

Is it just me or do these beharis really have some deep seated hatred towards Bangalis and everything to do with Bengal. We all know what they did in the war.

It's funny some delusional users here want these people be considered "bangali" in Bangladesh. Even after 50 years in Geneva park refugee camp in the heart of Dhaka, this lot have failed to learn Bangla and assimilate but no we should consider them Bengali because clearly they love our culture, for 'plularity' and because they were encorporated into the Bengal Sultanate.

Last edited:

Read comments for a good laugh, sanghis are completely losing their shit when people say 'joy Bangla'.... Apparently it's a Bangladeshi slogan. Do we have patent or intellectual property rights on it ?

This guy is a Bihari RSS activist. Comes from a Bihari family in Kolkata and can speak Bengali. It's clear because he takes so much pride in speaking Hindi. No Bengali Kolkata kid cares about Hindi this much.

Now that Bengalis in Kolkata (like Garga Chatterjee) are spreading the word about driving out these Sanghis from Kolkata, Sanghis are getting scared and posting this kind of idiotic videos. No one gives two $hits about the 'Jamati Bugaboo' and scaremongering. Sanghis days are numbered. Better leave now before being driven out.

And the question is not about Biharis and Bengalis, both groups have peace-loving people. It is about Sanghis spreading hate and Bengalis being 'Jimmi' in Sanghi hands in Kolkata itself. A majority of these Sanghis are unfortunately Bihari (and Gujarati as well as Marathi folks).

The guy was being untruthful by the way.

Hindi is 'Not' the national language of India. English is the Lingua Franca. I'd like to see them Sanghis selling Hindi to people in Kerala, TN and Karnataka. And see how far they get.

Also - this guy talks about West Bengal folks going to the rest of India to work, as if they are poor and dependent on this work by design. He forgot to mention that this is because Biharis took all the good jobs in Kolkata and because Bengalis never enforced 'Bengali First' hiring in their own state like in other Indian states...but time has come for this to happen. Better late than never.

If Bengalis go to the South of India, they remain very welcome because they respect the local culture in those places. Bihari Sanghis in West Bengal don't. 'Jai Shri Ram' is not even a Bengali term.

The irony of it is, if WB created good jobs at home (where Biharis have taken over the job market), then all WB folks could come back home and work. They'd never have to leave.

What Garga says is right, there is an unwritten rule in Maharashtra, Gujarat and in most other states about local people getting preference in jobs as 'Bhumiputras'. West Bengal should have the same rule.

How do these Bihari Sanghis have the gall to come to Kolkata and speak in no tongue other than Hindi with local folks?? That too by force!

WB folks have been tolerant enough since 1947. No more. Speak Bengali and become a Bengali, then you're fine in WB. Otherwise take your Sanghi/Hindi game back to Bihar and GTFO.

Being Indian has nothing to do with speaking Hindi. WB deserves to speak in their own tongue. That is guaranteed by the Indian constitution.

My hats off to Garga for standing up to these Sanghis in WB.

Last edited:
This guy is a Bihari RSS activist. Comes from a Bihari family in Kolkata and can speak Bengali. It's clear because he takes so much pride in speaking Hindi. No Bengali Kolkata kid cares about Hindi this much.

Now that Bengalis in Kolkata (like Garga Chatterjee) are spreading the word about driving out this Sanghis from Kolkata, they are getting scared and posting this kind of idiotic videos.

And the question is not about Biharis and Bengalis. It is about Sanghis spreading hate and Bengalis being 'Jimmi' in Bihari hands in Kolkata itself.

The guy was being untruthful by the way.

Hindi is 'Not' the national language of India. English is Lingua Franca. I'd like to see them selling Hindi to people in Kerala, TN and Karnataka. And see how far they get.

Also - he talks about West Bengal folks going to the rest of India to work. if they go to the South, they are very welcome. The irony of it is, if WB created good jobs at home (where all Biharis have taken over the job market in WB), then all WB folks could come back home and work.

What Garga says is right, there is an unwritten rule in Maharashtra, Gujarat and in most other states about local people getting preference in jobs as 'Bhumiputras'. West Bengal should have the same rule.

How do these Bihari Sanghis have the gall to come to Kolkata and speak in no tongue other than Hindi with local folks??

WB folks have been tolerant enough since 1947. No more. Speak Bengali and become a Bengali, then fine in WB. Otherwise take your Sanghi/Hindi game back to Bihar and GTFO.

Being Indian has nothing to do with speaking Hindi. WB deserves to speak in their own tongue. That is guaranteed by the Indian constitution.

My hats off to Garga for standing up to these Sanghis in WB.

Yes I know he's behari, I was editing my post while you posted this. He has behari written all over his face, and he speaks Hindi in the exact way Beharis speak it.

These Beharis are just racist towards Bangalis no matter if those are WB Bangalis or Bangladeshis. I recently saw a post somewhere of a job advert board outside an office in Kolkata that said "Vacancy 'Marwaris Only'".... Shocking to say the least.

And as for Hindi, I studied in an Indian school which taught the CBSE curriculum (national). We had Hindi from grade 1 to grade 6 and then you can choose between Hindi and French, let me tell all the south Indians bounced and chose French. I have never met one malayali (keralite) who can frame two proper sentences in Hindi. So even among Indians nobody really speaks Hindi except those who speak Hindi as their first language.

Here's ones... there is one that says no 'bangalis' but I can't find it :(
EFOf3HgUYAEYYbV.png

Last edited:
Yes I know he's behari, I was editing my post while you posted this. He has behari written all over his face, and he speaks Hindi in the exact way Beharis speak it.

These Beharis are just racist towards Bangalis no matter if those are WB Bangalis or Bangladeshis. I recently saw a post somewhere of a job advert board outside an office in Kolkata that said "Vacancy 'Marwaris Only'".... Shocking to say the least.

And as for Hindi, I studied in an Indian school which taught the CBSE curriculum (national). We had Hindi from grade 1 to grade 6 and then you can choose between Hindi and French, let me tell all the south Indians bounced and chose French. I have never met one malayali (keralite) who can frame two proper sentences in Hindi. So even among Indians nobody really speaks Hindi except those who speak Hindi as their first language.

Here's ones... there is one that says no 'bangalis' but I can't find it :(
EFOf3HgUYAEYYbV.png

This reinforces my belief about these Sanghi supporters.

Next time we go to Kolkata to shop, stay at hotels or eat at restaurants, I am not going to patronize these Sanghi supporter businesses.

@AfrazulMandal bhaya, we need this list prepared like Yesterday. Someone please get in touch with BanglaPokkho and have them come up with a list of these Sanghi-supporter vendors now. Instead of screaming on social media, do something useful, so these businesses feel it in their pocketbooks.

I'm sure Goenkas and Mahindra Group are probably going to be at the forefront. Ditto for Gujarati businessfolks, the bootlickers of Modi.

These Sanghi businesses need a boycott to be enforced right now. We are going to starve these people and then see where they get their money for Sanghi activities.

This reinforces my belief about these Sanghi supporters.

Next time we go to Kolkata to shop, stay at hotels or eat at restaurants, I am not going to patronize these Sanghi supporter businesses.

@AfrazulMandal bhaya, we need this list prepared like Yesterday. Someone please get in touch with BanglaPokkho and have them come up with a list of these Sanghi-supporter vendors now. Instead of screaming on social media, do something useful, so these businesses feel it in their pocketbooks.

I'm sure Goenkas and Mahindra Group are probably going to be at the forefront. Ditto for Gujarati businessfolks, the bootlickers of Modi.

These Sanghi businesses need a boycott to be enforced right now. We are going to starve these people and then see where they get their money for Sanghi activities.
Bangla Pokkho is not the best allied organisation.

It is itself infested with Sanghis. They too are against Muslims.

There must be other organisations working on the ground.

I was being sarcastic bro. From what I saw in this forum last few week, I was under impression sylheti is the next hot shot international "language"!! :lol:

I was being sarcastic bro. From what I saw in this forum last few week, I was under impression sylheti is the next hot shot international "language"!! :lol:

I did get your sarcasm. But maybe we should counter these ridiculous regional proposals with simple respect.

I have immense respect for my Sylheti relatives/friends and their culture. They would not even think of suggesting separating Sylhet from Bangladesh, using even language. Our country is a haven of diversity in South Asia, especially compared to our neighbor country where (sadly) hate, boasting of ethnic superiority and communal behavior are the order of the day.

The neighbor tries to make us weak, but their efforts are in vain. They neither have the economic or intellectual capacity to succeed.

Even in the Qur'an, it mentions that regionalism and boasting ethnic superiority has no place in our religion.

Just to mention an example, look at how a multi-racial, multi-language, multi-cultural place like Indonesia has existed so far. @Indos I love the harmony in your country brother.

Bangla Pokkho is not the best allied organisation.

It is itself infested with Sanghis. They too are against Muslims.

There must be other organisations working on the ground.

Yeah I was surprised to see that some BJP folks are aligned with Bangla Pokkho as well. At some point Bangla Pokkho will have to clean house if they are going to be aligned with TMC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon Kabir refused to fade away in Covid-19, released a new tune.

New Dhaka-based band 'Dads in the Park' - they have to clean up their lyrics and diction a bit...but very promising band.

Last edited:
Yeah I was surprised to see that some BJP folks are aligned with Bangla Pokkho as well. At some point Bangla Pokkho will have to clean house if they are going to be aligned with TMC.
Bangla Pokkho is not going to clean house. If they do, they will remove Muslims. Not Hindus.

It is a nationalistic movement. Bengali nationalism gave birth to modern Indian and Hindu nationalism. In any case, nationalism will not work with Islam. They are virulently against Urdu as well.

They will go to Swami Vivekananda and Tagore while still fighting for more Bengali inclusion in the workforce. If you think they have Muslim interests in their hearts, you are mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom