What's new

Chennai: German teen raped in moving train

'According to the National Crime Records Bureau, 24,206 rape cases were reported in India in 2011, but experts agree that the number of unreported cases of sexual assault brings the total much higher.[9]
The latest estimates suggest that a new case of rape is reported every 22 minutes in India.[10]' (WIKI)

But it does not answer my question about non reported rape.. only the number 'reported'

If you think that crimes like rapes are not under reported in the western world, then you are mistaken. Its the stigma thats attached to rape which prevents the victimes from reporting it. The stigma is more or less the same, both developed and developing world.

According to this report, between 70-90% of the rapes go unreported in the UK and 94% of those reported don't end in a conviction!

Between 70-90% rapes thought to go unreported …and 94% of reported cases don’t end in a conviction - University of Surrey - Guildford

Its the same in every other country of the world, be it developed or developing.

That is why I said one of the few countries and not the only country in the world. Saying you are no worse than South Africa should be no consolation.

I find it strange that the instances of stranger rape, including gang rape, would be so high in a conservative culture called India.

Something is making these men do these things and the only possible explanation is that they feel completely alienated from society at large.

Gang rapes are there in UK as well as USA. Only they don't make news. The last one in US to make news after the video started circulating in on you tube.

Steubenville High School rape case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are numerous such cases, but it is not reported or if reported dismissed as the girl being a "slut" or a "whore."

That is why I said one of the few countries and not the only country in the world. Saying you are no worse than South Africa should be no consolation.

I wasn't finding any consolation, was just posting facts.

I find it strange that the instances of stranger rape, including gang rape

Gang rapes happen in other countries too. You would see many instances of horrific rape and murder cases in other countries. Just that they generally don't get as much national/international media coverage. That is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:
But it does not answer my question about non reported rape.. only the number 'reported'

You seem to be taking this as a personal attack on your country- ie 'your rapes are worse than our rapes' Rape are BAD wherever they occur. I am not singling India out just trying to get some answers.[/quote]

Sorry, that was not my intention. But it has gotten old, this propaganda against India, hopefully people wake up and counter it more vigorously.

Simple fact: we where talking just 2 days ago with some female friends who wanted to visit India but could not find (nor afford) an organized group and wanted to chance it by going on their own - now, due to all the media reports, both cancelled their plans.
Country image is the basis for a flourishing tourism and articles like this make more impact then 10.000 statistics put together - "it happens in other country" or " it's a conspiracy" type of replays don't matter

Back
Top Bottom