What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

An intersting open-source radar scattering simulation of the J-20: https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsanda.../2022/11/27/j-20-radar-scattering-simulation/

Summary (excerpt):
From the simulation results, it is easy to note that J-20 has good signature characteristic. Even though, J-20 RCS is higher than F-35A RCS through the frequency range (approximately 3.5 times in X-band, 1.5 times in VHF band), it still has much better RCS characteristic when compared to Su-57. The canard return blended very well with the main wing return, and due to their high swept angle, the first high RCS spike of J-20 actually located at around 50 degrees boresight. This mean it is very easy for J-20 pilots to keep enemy adversary within their stealthy sector. Add to the fact that J-20 has very big antenna aperture, it can be highly lethal in BVR combat.

j-20-clean-with-mnzn-ram.png

From the simulation results, it is easy to note that J-20 has good signature characteristic. Even though, J-20 RCS is higher than F-35A RCS through the frequency range (approximately 3.5 times in X-band, 1.5 times in VHF band), it still has much better RCS characteristic when compared to Su-57.
I have always wondered how accurate the RCS figures are. Someone posted maybe in this thread Japanese figures, the F22 looked impressive had lowest RCS and then F35 then was J20. Are these being calculated through simulations using the structure of the aircraft as an indication, because I'm pretty sure materials, coating will also make a difference. Or has the RCS been calculated by being spotted on a radar somewhere such as the alleged interaction between F35s and J20s.

I have always wondered how accurate the RCS figures are. Someone posted maybe in this thread Japanese figures, the F22 looked impressive had lowest RCS and then F35 then was J20. Are these being calculated through simulations using the structure of the aircraft as an indication, because I'm pretty sure materials, coating will also make a difference. Or has the RCS been calculated by being spotted on a radar somewhere such as the alleged interaction between F35s and J20s.
The RCS figures were calculated using 3D models i.e. the shape of the aircraft. Some minor surface details aren't captured in these models which should contribute to RCS but probably not much. The use of radar absorbing material was not taken into account since doing so would be guesswork. The RCS figures should be „roughly“ accurate, excluding the effects of radar absorbing materials.

looks like it has made the maiden flight said by Liu Daxiang?

Here's already a first side profile available for comparison: On top prototype no. 2051 aka eventually J-20B and on the bottom the regular J-20A.

View attachment 907420

Very interesting - wonder what they will use that extra space for ? More electronics or more fuel ?!! I was not expecting a change like this - wondering ( as are all ) what they are up to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom