What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Here an interesting cross-post from the IMO highly reliable "Bltizo", who summarized a post from yankee:

In this paid piece from yankee (which I will not copy out of respect for him, given it is a paid subscription; this is the site however https://member.guancha.cn/post/view?id=1334), he writes some information about the J-20:

- He generally says that the reliability and readiness of J-20 for a new aircraft type is quite impressive
- He states that this year, the next unit to receive J-20 will likely be a NTC unit
- From the AAM thread, "Summarizing what he wrote, he states that a new BVRAAM that will enter service with J-20 has a similar range to PL-15 but smaller diameter (allowing carriage of 6 ventrally vs 4 PL-15s), and greater ability to target stealth aircraft, and also that the kinematic properties of this new missile is designed to emphasize greater ability to target and maeneuver to stealth aircraft at medium to short ranges."
- He states that PL-15 has a capability which sounds a lot like CeC (where one aircraft launching PL-15 can be guided by a different aircraft), and again states it is dual pulse
- He states PL-10 has LOAL
- He states that an A2G missile for J-20 is in development (which we've known about for a while), but also that a Sino-SDB has entered testing
- He states the luneberg lens on J-20 can be jettisoned from the aircraft in flight
- He also strongly implies that a twin seater J-20 may make its appearance in 2020(?!)
- He states J-20 has conducted training/cooperation with 3rd gen fighters, as well as drones (no additional details)

Those are some of the newest info tidbits I can garner from the piece. If anyone else has also paid for a subscription and has access to it, I'd be happy to be corrected if there's anything I missed.

Any additional thoughts?

Deino

Here an interesting cross-post from the IMO highly reliable "Bltizo", who summarized a post from yankee:

Any additional thoughts?

Deino
Did Yankee mention anything about the new WS-10 equipped J-20s?

Honestly the only thing interesting developments in the J-20 program for me are the engines at this point.

My fear is, if You wait for the WS-15 and only for that, I'll probably have to wait a few more years ... therefore I'm waiting for...:

- the first WS-10-powered ones in PLAAF grey
- the first new assignment, aka a new brigade following the 9th Air Brigade
- ... :-)

My fear is, if You wait for the WS-15 and only for that, I'll probably have to wait a few more years ... therefore I'm waiting for...:

- the first WS-10-powered ones in PLAAF grey
- the first new assignment, aka a new brigade following the 9th Air Brigade
- ... :-)
A J-20 with WS-10 in grey will indeed be a very pleasant surprise!

A few more and much more detailed information to the post from Yankee above via Bltizo:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom