What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Uh.. gambit. If its not too much trouble..
That loss of thrust on the raptor translates to a loss in acceleration was well?
Arent the F-119's a little different from other engines as well... at least until the F-135?

Uh.. gambit. If its not too much trouble..
That loss of thrust on the raptor translates to a loss in acceleration was well?
Arent the F-119's a little different from other engines as well... at least until the F-135?
Thrust and acceleration are different things. Let us take space for an extreme example. I can have a very low thrust engine but since in space my body has practically no drag to speak of, I can accelerate until the speed of light if I wanted to. It would just take a very long time. But for what we are talking about, the need for near instant acceleration can be through afterburner, which the F-22 does have. So far we do not know how long did an F-22 took to reach supersonic WITHOUT afterburner, that would tell us its acceleration capability.

Thrust and acceleration are different things. Let us take space for an extreme example. I can have a very low thrust engine but since in space my body has practically no drag to speak of, I can accelerate until the speed of light if I wanted to. It would just take a very long time. But for what we are talking about, the need for near instant acceleration can be through afterburner, which the F-22 does have. So far we do not know how long did an F-22 took to reach supersonic WITHOUT afterburner, that would tell us its acceleration capability.

So if I may take liberty on that statement and correlate it with the claims that the J-20 is aerodynamically optimized to slip into the the supersonic regime more easily.. perhaps the J-20 does not need as powerful an engine relative to the F-22.

So if I may take liberty on that statement and correlate it with the claims that the J-20 is aerodynamically optimized to slip into the the supersonic regime more easily.. perhaps the J-20 does not need as powerful an engine relative to the F-22.
You can. No difference if you use a very streamlined body like a 'rocket' and it is hard to be more 'optimized' than that. The problem is to prove that claim about the J-20. But am open minded about that.

You can. No difference if you use a very streamlined body like a 'rocket' and it is hard to be more 'optimized' than that. The problem is to prove that claim about the J-20. But am open minded about that.

Greetings Gambit,

Just curious, is it possible to sustain supersonic speed during dogfight without an afterburner?

Regards
Ameer

Greetings Gambit,

Just curious, is it possible to sustain supersonic speed during dogfight without an afterburner?

Regards
Ameer
Theoretically, it is possible. But you would need an extremely robust airframe and engine. Anytime you make a maneuver, you lose speed, so your engine had better be responsive and powerful enough to regain that loss in as short a time as possible, preferably instantly. You are treading into an area that I do not think would be technologically feasible in the next 50yrs.

Greetings Gambit,

Regards
Ameer

super maneuverability will simply kill the pilot, it is possible to have speed at M+ but as long as the G-force wont be as high as 10G+

super maneuverability will simply kill the pilot, it is possible to have speed at M+ but as long as the G-force wont be as high as 10G+
who told u that man "super maneuverability will simply kill the pilot," then all pliots would have been dead :blink:

who told u that man "super maneuverability will simply kill the pilot," then all pliots would have been dead :blink:

He meant taking high G's through maneuvers, it can cause damage to both the aircraft and pilot.

For instance, you can't simply take a sharp turn using TVC on an MKI at high speeds. It'd injure or even kill the pilot.

He meant taking high G's through maneuvers, it can cause damage to both the aircraft and pilot.

For instance, you can't simply take a sharp turn using TVC on an MKI at high speeds. It'd injure or even kill the pilot.
well mate then how does the russians perform those spectacular air manuververrs in airshows then they should all have been killed
& also special g suit are developed to counter the g limits

well mate then how does the russians perform those spectacular air manuververrs in airshows then they should all have been killed
all the maneuvers are done within the G limites, the G-suit can only afford certain amount Gs

And they have limits. They never push beyond the aircraft's limits.

204046f6ttftrt5gmzafxw.jpg

191034pg5j9bgwb9wguwgz.jpg

190303hz7qchbij22bbbhb.jpg

185659rnimv9mv996dr3nz.jpg

1849469xob9llbru6gfojg.jpg

183735y2yuucu2kicl22as.jpg

J20 trial flight with J10S today.

thx to 向老大哥致敬

but if the on board computers are smart enough then they wouldn't let you kill yourself.
when pulling sharp maneuvers at supersonic speed, flight computers doesn't let the pilot exceed above 9Gs or so otherwise, like you pointed out it would kill the pilot or would make him unconscious.

Back
Top Bottom