What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Well Kudos to China.

But I do not think Pakistan will get J-20s, because J-20s are not for export.
Pakistan will get J-31s.

OMG! A freakishly bad taste, PLAAF-Flying-Demonstration-Team, 八一飞行表演队, paint scheme for the J-20.

upload_2017-2-18_21-8-5.png

upload_2017-2-18_21-8-23.png

upload_2017-2-18_21-14-37.png

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (1).gif

At the November 2016, China Airshow, J-20's demonstrated an impressive vertical climb.

This close up picture shows, it was not using the afterburner. No long hot burning flame was shooting out of its nozzles.

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 12.25.38 AM.png

J-20 is underpowered, you said? I don't think so.

Last edited:

At the November 2016, China Airshow, J-20's demonstrated an impressive vertical climb.

This close up picture shows, it was not using the afterburner. No long hot burning flame was shooting out of its nozzles.

View attachment 378336

J-20 is underpowered, you said? I don't think so.

Hey well ... we are back again at the PDF-Groundhog Day post !
But You are a bit late, that certain day in Punxsutawney is on February 2. :woot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day_(film)

This got to be the most outrageously tight turn by J-20, I have seen yet. It did a 180 degree U-turn in about 3-4 seconds. It literally just flip around at the bend of the U shape, which lasted about 1 second.

I made the gif files from the original video. The time of the turns is deduced from the original videos. A 3-4 seconds, 180 degrees U-turn is a stunning performance for any aircraft.

This one is done with the usual deep banking like other airplanes.
imageedit_3_5279774237.gif

This one is done without the deep banking.
imageedit_7_6242645546.gif

Watch the segments from 1:01 to 1:04, and 1:20 to 1:26 on this original video.

Why is doing a tight turn without deep banking useful in a dogfight?

When the pilot doing a tight turn with deep banking, his head is point to the center of the turn, and the blood is pulled by the centripetal force toward his legs. At sustained high G, the pilot is prone to blackout (lost of consciousness), or greyout (lost his vision), because of lack of blood flow to his head. Also he will be having a hard time to keep his opponent in his sight. His head will be very heavy and turning of his head will be very difficult. He will have a hard time to follow his opponent, around the turn, long enough to get a good lock, to fire his weapon, with his Helmet Mounted Sight.

When you turn without the need of deep banking, you don't have those problems as much. You will be sitting horizontal, with your head up, like driving a car, around a turn. You will be pushed toward the window, instead of toward the floor by the G-force. Your blood will not be pull toward the floor or legs as much, so your tolerance to high-G force will be much greater. And your head will be much easier to turn, and able to watch your opponent over your shoulder, and aim your weapon using your HMS.

You could fire your missile, even your opponent is at 60 degrees or more from you.

upload_2017-2-19_20-56-25.png

If both planes have High-Off BoreSight missiles and HMS, the pilot who could turn his head more easily, to track his opponent, will achieve a firing solution first, and fire his missile first, and therefore kill first.

"Being able to look outside the cockpit and ‘see’ all the contacts around them highlighted by glowing symbology would be a huge situational awareness boost, and the ability to target enemy aircraft at short range, without having to point the jet’s nose at them, could mean the difference between winning and losing in a dogfight."
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-its-sad-that-the-f-22-just-fired-its-first-guided-a-1704889474

Last edited:
You want to deduct the maneuverability from a gif. ???? :blink:

And You want to be taken seriously ???? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
That would be as if You try to deduct the RCS from a toy, engine thrust from a still ... Sorry my friend; I know that we disagree and You are my most prominent "basher" of pedals-analysis, but that's really on top.
:drag:

Anyway ....

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_C5_FH7ql_UMAAs7z_C.jpg

Last edited:
I made the gif files from the original video. The time of the turns is deduced from the original videos. A 3-4 seconds, 180 degrees U-turn is a stunning performance for any aircraft.

I prefer to look and see with my own eyes, while some people prefers to put their head in the sand and deny everything that don't agree with their preconceived notions.

upload_2017-2-19_23-27-54.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom