What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

181eb18b4c710170152597.png

Via http://www.81.cn/tp/2022-07/15/content_10170152.htm

A second image of the alleged J-10D prototype/demonstrator was posted and at least from this angle it looks no longer that strange.
Could that spine be just extra oil tank? One of the loudest criticisms lobbed against J10C is its range (I know, people like to compare it to twin-engine fighters) and this might be the answer. With the extra range, countries not planning to invest heavily on oil tankers can have a fighter jet that's comparable to elite twin-engine fighters in performances and range on a budget without compromising its missile numbers.

Argentina, Brazil, Iran, and even Pakistan can use a longer-ranged J10.

A second image of the alleged J-10D prototype/demonstrator was posted and at least from this angle it looks no longer that strange.

Image via @Fighterman_FFRC

View attachment 862886

I just got a new image and indeed it has some sort of device installed under its tail that strongly hints towards a system for releasing smoke trails. ... so at least this round goes to J-10CY. 😉

Also, it is a J-10C with the construction no. '701' aka batch 07 aircraft no 01.

J-10D or J-10CY - 20220720 clear.jpg
J-10D or J-10CY - 20220720 clear part.jpg

I just got a new image and indeed it has some sort of device installed under its tail that strongly hints towards a system for releasing smoke trails. ... so at least this round goes to J-10CY. 😉

Also, it is a J-10C with the construction no. '701' aka batch 07 aircraft no 01.

View attachment 863424View attachment 863423
What do you speculate for the use of the large spine for the Ba Yi, if any? Also it has the slim HUD, was that present in this batch for other aircraft?

What do you speculate for the use of the large spine for the Ba Yi, if any? Also it has the slim HUD, was that present in this batch for other aircraft?

Actually, I'm confused ... In fact this is really strange 🤔😯 ... since mid-2019 we had not a single J-10C flying with the AL-31FN, so why this one, a Batch 07 aircraft? And we've seen already Batch 07 J-10Cs weith WS-10B!

If it's indeed the D variant, it's aimed at electronic warfare and jamming. That spine may house countermeasures against radars.

electronic Jammers and such are line of sight devices installing it on the spine makes little sense. I speculate the spine is designed to house wiring and hydraulic tubing improving the maintainability of the aircraft thus making more room for fuel.

View attachment 863424View attachment 863423I just got a new image and indeed it has some sort of device installed under its tail that strongly hints towards a system for releasing smoke trails. ... so at least this round goes to J-10CY.

I‘d once again speculate the Chinese are trying to improve engine fuel efficiency and performance by ionizing the air/fuel.

Last edited:
The J10CY with Russian AL-31FN engine may be is due to logistic consideration. Since the August 1st acrobacics flying team is equiped with J10AY and J10SY with AL-31FN, any new aircraft inducted into the team should be equiped with the same engine.

They could equiped J10CY from existing stock of spare engines or a used engine dismantled from an existing J10A/B, or a newly bought engines from Russia.

However, if all J10AY are to be replaced by J10CY, then the choice of AL-31FN for J10CY does make one wonder why.

The idea of making physical - structural changes of that nature(they look invasive and would affect the FBW) for a display team seems odd/un heard of ..

it is confusing for sure. I am still of the view it is for a variant with more avionics/ew gear just like the f16s that israel/paf has ... lets see..

Last edited:
The idea of making physical - structural changes of that nature(they look invasive and would affect the FBW) for a display team seems odd/un heard of ..

it is confusing for sure. I am still of the view it is for a variant with more avionics/ew gear just like the f16s that israel/paf has ... lets see..
the two seater f-16s don't contain more electronics than single seat, they just had to move the electronics to the spine because of the second seat

The J10CY with Russian AL-31FN engine may be is due to logistic consideration. Since the August 1st acrobacics flying team is equiped with J10AY and J10SY with AL-31FN, any new aircraft inducted into the team should be equiped with the same engine.

They could equiped J10CY from existing stock of spare engines or a used engine dismantled from an existing J10A/B, or a newly bought engines from Russia.

However, if all J10AY are to be replaced by J10CY, then the choice of AL-31FN for J10CY does make one wonder why.

At least it eases maintenance since the 72nd Air Brigade, which is collocated with the Ba Yi also uses AL-31FN-powered J-10Cs from older batches

Back
Top Bottom