What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

the 'toss' method it is called - i think...

I think Armatrong is referring to a free fall where the bomb just keeps going down.

Toss bombing is a bit different, just before releasing the bomb, the plane pitches up and climbs, so the bomb follows a ballistic path where it first climbs then descends, a parabolic path which gives it more air time and distance without the aircraft getting too close. It is unguided though.

I think Armatrong is referring to a free fall where the bomb just keeps going down.

Toss bombing is a bit different, just before releasing the bomb, the plane pitches up and climbs, so the bomb follows a ballistic path where it first climbs then descends, a parabolic path which gives it more air time and distance without the aircraft getting too close. It is unguided though.

exactly thats how they train.

the 'toss' method it is called - i think...

That is correct. It is called the 'Toss-Bombing' Technique.

Actually what I was trying to get at, in my own amateurish way, was a simple question - How do we plan on using our F-16s to drop nukes if we don't have the source codes or are we planning on dropping a WW2 era unguided dumb bomb in case of a Nuclear War ?

You're right about that. Hiroshima was simply a gravity release of a dumb(?) bomb. Where the Aircraft "Enola Gay" was flying very high to avoid blast. That technique was acceptable for slow-flying aircraft of that time will not work for todays faster and smaller jets. Plus that old technique will also have accuracy issues.

You're right about that. Hiroshima was simply a gravity release of a dumb(?) bomb. Where the Aircraft "Enola Gay" was flying very high to avoid blast. That technique was acceptable for slow-flying aircraft of that time will not work for todays faster and smaller jets. Plus that old technique will also have accuracy issues.

You dont worry about accuracy from a nuke do you?!:P

Actually what I was trying to get at, in my own amateurish way, was a simple question - How do we plan on using our F-16s to drop nukes if we don't have the source codes or are we planning on dropping a WW2 era unguided dumb bomb in case of a Nuclear War ?

I don't have the answer to that, sorry. The aicraft pilot would need to 'arm' the bomb before he drops it. That would need access to the source codes of the aircraft weapon control systems.

You dont worry about accuracy from a nuke do you?!:P

To some extent you do. 'Ground Zero' is pre-determined and must be adhered to as much as possible. If for example you are are targeting an important Enemy Command and Control Center; you'd like to vaporise it instantly rather than a Dairy Farm some miles away. :D
So that the Enemy has no chance to react.

In case of a nuclear war, it is the missiles that will carry most of the warheads, not airplanes, which are of secondary importance for this purpose.

In case of a nuclear war, it is the missiles that will carry most of the warheads, not airplanes, which are of secondary importance for this purpose.

I know - I was just wondering what do we mean when we say & have said in the past that we've got aircraft equipped with nuclear warheads in case of a nuclear war ?

I know - I was just wondering what do we mean when we say & have said in the past that we've got aircraft equipped with nuclear warheads in case of a nuclear war ?

That was a long time ago when we did not have such advanced missile technology, so creating a nuclear deterrent quickly with airplanes was vitally important. Now we have missiles for that purpose. The march of technology Sir.

That was a long time ago when we did not have such advanced missile technology, so creating a nuclear deterrent quickly with airplanes was vitally important. Now we have missiles for that purpose. The march of technology Sir.

Huzooor I understand that but my original question remains - Even if we had designated a squadron of our airplanes for a nuclear role - What did that mean ? We didn't have the source codes & so how could the F-16s ever carry a Nuke ?

Huzooor I understand that but my original question remains - Even if we had designated a squadron of our airplanes for a nuclear role - What did that mean ? We didn't have the source codes & so how could the F-16s ever carry a Nuke ?

Sirjee, this thread will go off topic if I answer that question. Agar Mods jaan kee amaan dein to himmat karoon.

Best to wait for seniors to answer that I think.

Back
Top Bottom