What's new

Champions league Twenty20 preliminary squads

notting hill

Reaction score
Champions League squads announcedThe inaugural Airtel Champions League Twenty20 is set to be the True Tournament of Champions following the naming of the preliminary squads.

Of the 234 players nominated by the 12 teams, 110 (more than 47%) have already played international cricket for their respective countries.

If all of these players then go on to be included in their team's respective starting XIs for the tournament from October 8-23, then more than 80% of players taking the field at the Airtel Champions League Twenty20 will have played international cricket.

Illustrating the quality of the world-class squads that have been named, New South Wales Blues and the Delhi Daredevils will each be capable of playing a team wholly comprising of international players. Wayamba, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Victorian Bushrangers meanwhile have 10 internationals each in their ranks.

The other teams have equally impressive line-ups. Trinidad & Tobago and Sussex feature nine players with international experience, while the Cape Cobras and Deccan Chargers have eight, Otago has seven and the Diamond Eagles and Somerset have four apiece.

Lalit Modi, Chairman, Champions League Twenty20 Governing Council, said:

"The announcement of the preliminary squads ensures the first Airtel Champions League Twenty20 will be a true contest between the best of the best.

"A congregation of the world's best players, playing for the world's best domestic teams, vying for the ultimate prize to be crowned Champions - we could not have asked for anything more.

"The calibre of players named by the competing teams is extraordinary. We have World Cup champions, both in 50-over and Twenty20 cricket, international captains, legends of the game and some of the world's top-ranked players.

"I'm certain that cricket fans around the globe will be treated to truly amazing cricket at the inaugural Airtel CLT20 when the first ball is bowled on October 8 at Hyderabad."

Of the nine players eligible to play for multiple teams, only Dirk Nannes was nominated by two preliminary squads.

Dean Kino, Champions League Twenty20 Governing Council Member and Director of Legal and Business Affairs, said:

"Dirk Nannes who was nominated by both the Delhi Daredevils and the Victorian Bushrangers, has informed Airtel CLT20 that he will play for his ‘away' team, the Delhi Daredevils, rather than his ‘home' team, the Victorian Bushrangers."

"As a result, Delhi is required to pay US$200,000 compensation to Victoria according to Airtel CLT20 regulations.

"The other players who were eligible for multiple teams will compete for their ‘home' teams in the tournament, while Dwayne Smith who was considered an ‘away' player for both Deccan and Sussex, will represent his English team."

Teams now have until September 7 to trim their squads to 15 ahead of the tournament.

About Airtel Champions League Twenty20

An initiative of three founding members - the Board of Control for Cricket in India, Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa - the Airtel Champions League Twenty20 is a platform where the world's best domestic teams get the opportunity to pit their cricketing skills against each other. ESPN STAR Sports is the commercial rights holders for Champions League Twenty20 for a period of 10 years. The first edition of the league will be played at three venues - Delhi, Hyderabad and Bangalore - from 8-23 October, 2009.

Airtel Champions League Twenty20 Preliminary Squads

for complete squad list click on the below mentioned link :

| Cricket Victoria

The only people from Pakistan watching this would be Yasir Arafat's fans, who is playing for Sussex.

well this tournament is the ultimate test for the best doemstic teams from all over the world. i expect it to be more competitive( even more so than international cricket ) 'coz the 12 teams are more or less well balanced and matched. its going to be good fun... most of the top international stars are participating and from here on the tournament can only grow stronger. may be a year or two down the lane we might see a participation from pakistani teams.most of us in india saw most of the games even after india went out in the knock out rounds in he recent world cup 20-20. ditto for 2007 world cup final ,1999 world cup final and 1992 ( i remeber watching that game as a kid lying on the carpet and not changing positions 'coz akram just took two wickets..lol.. ).. so i see no reason why people in pakistan who like the uncertainity and entertainment in twenty20 would wish to ignore this tournament.

There are some very good players, and then there are very bad players on these teams.

only Yasir Arafat from Pakistan??? why not more players from Pakistan ?????

There are some very good players, and then there are very bad players on these teams.

webmaster, i guess dats y the team composition evens out and i expect it to be a close and suspense filled competition unlike international cricket .. and let me assure you the weeds of the lot would be thrown out in the final composition of 15 squad players . i hope to see some matches in delhi as some of my folks hold membership of ddca ..
moin .. sialkot was invited last year but due to circumstances well known it doesn't make sense inviting the teams ,finalising schedules and then either the indian government not allowing or pakistani government not giving NOC required for participation.. lot of money is at stake here.. would be great to have some representation from pakistan next year ..

what about pakistani players like akmal, tanvir, yunus playing for rajisthan, will they be invited. and if its deccan chargers too, then what about shahid afridi hmmm....??? all kicked out..

what about pakistani players like akmal, tanvir, yunus playing for rajisthan, will they be invited. and if its deccan chargers too, then what about shahid afridi hmmm....??? all kicked out..

well , younis's and afridi's contacts have been cancelled by their respective franchisees while akmal and tanvir have been temporarily suspended ... none of the pakistani players have been mentioned in the squad of initial 20 players except arafat for sussex. even shoaib malik's contact has been cancelled by the delhi team...i was soo excited whn he was picked by delhi in the auction as i am a delhiite.. but he really disappointed us with his performance .

Another thing to notice is that the players contract price has been largely dependent on players color/race rather than the talent of the player. This is something that ICC needs to look at.

please elaborate .. 'coz most of the people paid the highest have both the talent and the marketing side to them... so that makes them really good value proposition and selling commodities. Having said that shaun marsh, and shane watson were among the lowest paid and dhoni was the highest in the first auction.. so where does color and race comes in.. sangakarra ,murali etc were paid really well too.

if no pakistani club is playing in this series than it is not ultimate challenge

Back
Top Bottom