What's new

Chairman Imran Khan's latest article today

mr42O

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
taken up arms; those assailing Taliban office proposal ought to realise that it is the APC that used the word ‘stakeholder’; drone attacks create more space for militancy

Special to The News

By Imran Khan

The debacle of East Pakistan, which led to the breakup of our country, left me with a strong conviction that military operations are never a solution to any problem, least of all one involving one’s own people.

I stood firmly with those who opposed Musharraf’s Balochistan operation and earlier the sending of the military into Waziristan.

Today, as I remain convinced that peace cannot be restored in Pakistan through continuing military operations, the entire political leadership of the country has shown the same conviction through the APC held last month. Three previous APCs had also sought peace through dialogue.

Yet, the saboteurs of the call for peace are at work too. With each series of bomb attacks, war hysteria seems to be increasing with demands for military operations. It is therefore critical we understand how we got to this state of affairs in the first place. We have been seeing continuing military operations since 2004, beginning in South Waziristan, and they have not stopped so far, even up to the APC. According to an ISPR statement, 100 people were killed in Orakzai Agency and in Tirah, Khyber Agency also army action has taken place.

We have seen over 3000 military personnel martyred in the process and we know the suffering of their families along with the families of the injured personnel, especially those permanently handicapped. We have seen our ill-equipped police martyred in the frontlines of terror attacks, especially in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. We have also seen our civilians suffering, not only through the illegal and inhumane drone attacks in FATA but also through the displacement of whole tribes who continue to remain homeless in their own country. The sacrifices of our people at so many levels are immeasurable.

Military operations without an overarching strategy to restore peace in the country are mere holding operations. The APC provides the legitimacy for a holistic approach, beginning with a structured dialogue. Military action and war are always the last resort option.

In the end they too, after much bloodshed, lead right back to the dialogue table, especially when a state is dealing with its own people. Most countries have eventually had to dialogue with their people who have taken up arms and conducted acts of terror against the state and innocent civilians - be it the UK with the IRA, the Sri Lankan government with the LTTE, The Philippines with the Moros, India’s Andra Pradesh Government with the Naxalites, to name just a few cases. Even the US had to hold talks with the Viet Cong and now with the Taliban.

Yet we went headlong into a one-dimensional militarist path with disastrous consequences after 9/11. Musharraf misled the nation about his commitments to the US on behalf of Pakistan. In the September 2001 APC, where all the political forces present questioned why our country was being dragged into the US-led War on Terror, he lied by saying that Pakistan was only providing the US with logistical support.

Through a series of lies, we saw an “invasion” of all manner of US personnel being given freedom of action within our country, with no control or accountability, and renditions of Pakistanis and others - some landing in Guantanamo, others simply disappearing. We slid further into an abyss of terrorism alongside drone attacks and military operations as we fell in line with the US militarist approach to the US ‘war on terror’. Drones have always been opposed on principle by PTI because not only are they a violation of international law, they do create more space for militancy. The attack on a Madrassah in Damadola in 2006 killing 80 civilians, including 60 children, is just one example of how it is civilians that have been the major victims of these illegal strikes. Damadola also directly led to a sharp spike in terror attacks in Pakistan. Simply ignoring the impact of drone strikes is an ostrich-like approach. A judgement of the Peshawar High Court earlier this year, awaiting implementation, vindicates our position on drones.

The question we need to ask is: has terrorism and violence increased or decreased in Pakistan both in terms of numbers of acts committed and the severity of these attacks? If we are honest, we will recognise that this policy has not only singularly failed but has also brought more instability, destruction and heightened extremism to the country.

So today, the nation and all the political forces stand united in giving peace a chance through dialogue, while recognising that there are no easy options available anymore. The September 2013 APC recalled previous ones calling to “give peace a chance” and reiterated its commitment to the same. In this context, the APC gave a mandate to the federal government, inter alia, “to initiate dialogue with all the stakeholders forthwith and for this purpose, authorize it to take all the necessary steps as it may deem fit, including development of an appropriate mechanism and identification of interlocutors. Needless to state the process should be as inclusive as possible, with full participation of the government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and other stakeholders.”

When some in the country, in an accusatory fashion, declare that PTI has given legitimacy to the Taliban by asking that an office be set up, they should recognize that it is the APC that used the word “stakeholder”. What I am suggesting is the initiation of a mechanism whereby we can begin to structuralise the dialogue process. We should know the nature of the enemy - there are 15 big Taliban groups and around 25 smaller ones, some of whom are funded by our enemies.

Therefore we need to identify and separate those groups willing to dialogue with the government and those not prepared to move beyond their agenda of violence, so that the latter can be isolated and dealt with. For that to happen we need to have a structured approach to dialogue rather than conducting it through the media. It is incumbent upon the federal government to inform us about the structure of the talks. As part of aiding the government in this context, we are suggesting that those groups willing to dialogue should be brought together and have a common base from which to conduct the dialogue and be held responsible for it - hence an office or “offices”. Structuring the talks prevents sabotage of the process. This will also show our sincerity to the tribal people who have the greatest stake in peace today and they can help in isolating the hard core militants.

All the political parties of Pakistan have given the federal government an unequivocal mandate to conduct talks to restore peace in the country, including for the first time in the context of FATA.

Previous attempts at dialogue and peace in FATA were attempted by the Army and they failed. The agreements reached were between the army and the militants, not the government that represents the state; and the federal head of state’s representative in FATA, the Political Agent, was opposed to these dialogues. Now it is the collective leadership of all the political parties of the country that has given a mandate to the federal government to move to dialogue and beyond.

In conclusion, I am aware of the fact that people voted for peace, especially in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. That is the PTI mandate from the people and PTI is committed to fulfilling this sacred trust. We realize our responsibility to protect the people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and we remain steadfast in taking on this task, despite the province being surrounded on three porous sides by FATA over which it has no authority or control. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is deliberately being targeted by those forces who do not want to see peace and stability restored in Pakistan. But we are determined to face the challenge of giving peace a chance against all odds and against all those forces determined to keep us weak, war ravaged and divided.Imran Khan is Chairman Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf, Pakistan’s second largest political party

Dialogue: the best of difficult options - thenews.com.pk

People may have voted for peace but no one voted PTI or PML-N to give away parts of Pakistan to Taliban. Regrettably this simple fact appears to be beyond Imran Khan’s comprehension.

We want peace but peace with honour. Discussions with any party can only be within Pakistan’s constitutional frame work. Taliban however insist that they don’t believe in democracy and don’t believe in Pakistan constitution.
Can any patriot Pakistani tell me what is there to talk about?

We want to give peace a chance, but Taliban don’t. Didn’t Taliban declare that attacks on Pak Army will continue. Does Imran Khan want Pakistanis to sit quietly like lambs and be slaughtered?

You have seen what Taliban did in Swat when ANP gov’t mistakenly agreed to their demand. Are we discussing about letting Taliban form their independent state in Waziristan? Does Imran Khan want to negotiate how much Pakistani land we should let Taliban have in return for Taliban stopping their murdering of Pakistanis? Let Imran Khan give killers of his 2 MPA’s space in PTI office in Peshawar and let him negotiate with Taliban within framework of Pakistan constitution. We shall see how far he gets.

All Taliban Khan is doing is to create confusion in the minds of Pakistani public. Even Fazlur Rahman doesn’t want Taliban to open an office.

First FATA then KPK and later Punjab given to Taliban to impose their brand of Sharia without even a fight! As Maulana Fazlur Rahman has alleged; it is quite possible that Imran Khan is working on the Israeli agenda to break up Pakistan from inside.

I don’t know about PTI followers but I would do everything within my power to stop giving any piece of Pakistan to Taliban butchers. Shame on the Pakistanis who contemplate it.

Why are we keeping half million strong army for if not to defend Pakistan’s integrity?

IK is either a naïve dope or a real Taliban khan, either way he is a douchbag.

People may have voted for peace but no one voted PTI or PML-N to give away parts of Pakistan to Taliban. Regrettably this simple fact appears to be beyond Imran Khan’s comprehension.

We want peace but peace with honour. Discussions with any party can only be within Pakistan’s constitutional frame work. Taliban however insist that they don’t believe in democracy and don’t believe in Pakistan constitution.
Can any patriot Pakistan tell me what is there to talk about?

We want to give peace a chance, but Taliban don’t. Didn’t Taliban declare that attacks on Pak Army will continue. Does Imran Khan want Pakistanis to sit quietly like lambs and be slaughtered?

You have seen what Taliban did in Swat when ANP gov’t mistakenly agreed to their demand. Are we discussing about let Taliban forming their independent state in Waziristan? Does Imran Khan want to negotiate how much Pakistani land we should let Taliban have in return for Taliban stopping their murdering of Pakistanis? Let Imran Khan give killers of his 2 MPA’s space in PTI office in Peshawar and let him negotiate with Taliban within framework of Pakistan constitution. We shall see how far he gets.

All Taliban Khan is doing is to create confusion in the minds of Pakistani public. Even Fazlur Rahman doesn’t want Taliban to open an office.

First FATA then KPK and later Punjab given to Taliban to impose their brand of Sharia without even a fight! As Maulana Fazlur Rahman has alleged; it is quite possible that Imran Khan is working on the Israeli agenda to break up Pakistan from inside.

I don’t know about PTI followers but I would do everything within power to stop giving any piece of Pakistan to Taliban butchers. Shame on the Pakistanis who contemplate it.

Why are we keeping half million strong army for if not to defend Pakistan’s integrity?

I dont think its a comprehension problem but nowhere did I see or hear about giving up territory or surrendering territory to taliban like PPP/ANP did with Swat.

find me that statement which says so, and I will step back from supporting PTI's stance of Peace Talks, fair?

I dont think its a comprehension problem but nowhere did I see or hear about giving up territory or surrendering territory to taliban like PPP/ANP did with Swat.

find me that statement which says so, and I will step back from supporting PTI's stance of Peace Talks, fair?

And, Imran Khan strongly supported the action of PPP and ANP. He was one of the few ones who were against the Operation Rah-e-Raast.

And, commenting on the article. I think Imran Khan is misinformed or deliberately wants to mislead people.

Sri Lanka finally had to fight the LTTE, and they did. And a 'War' brought the 30 year old civil war to an end. And other examples he gave were mostly exercised from a position of strength, not weakness, like the APC drama.

And, the dialogue, has already been tried. Every time, except one, it was the TTP which violated the truce and started attacking Pakistani State. The Military which went in talks with those militants, was actually in power that time, so this argument that the Federation didn't talk, Military did, is incorrect.

Imran Khan is pushing the matter to a very dangerous end. I'm still to hear from him, what if talks fail? Will he fully support a Military Operation? 'Cause as he says, that's the last resort, and always available.

And, Imran Khan strongly supported the action of PPP and ANP. He was one of the few ones who were against the Operation Rah-e-Raast.

And he was the only one who admitted it was a mistake to surrender Swat !

listen his latest interview to understand, if you cannot read the article !

Niaz sahib you should read the declaration and content of all 3 APC and blame the rest of political parties instead of finger pointing at one man just because he is loud about that,do you even realize the economic damages and you people are wanting the Armed Forces to fight another 2 decades bravo strategy. I also suggest you see into that time when musharraf deliberately handed over KPK to MMA mullah alliance party and the major mess started. I would also refer you to the earlier interview of IK with kashif abassi about whom they are going to sit and talk with to which IK pointed out that Federal government has been given mandate by the entire political parties to negotiate and that federal government has said they are going to sit-in and invite the interested [militant] parties. Please don't remind us of fazal ur rehman he was part of MMA remember that, that fazal ur rehman is a lota had been part of every government since 99.

If you think sending in Army can fix up problems then take a look back 12 Years and see the result and please people don't compare TTP and all 62 groups with Tamils, these taliban and militants are far far superior to them number, equipment, tactics and Intl. You will not be able to defeat them in next 20 that is a very poor strategy to say 0.5 million strong army is for what send them all to fight taliban then Allah hi hafiz hai Pakistan kay think tanks ka jo government main hain. Lastly i would again remind you people it is federal government of Pakistan who has been given task according to latest APC to sit down and talk with taliban or whatever, please keep yourselves updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
@niaz @Luftwaffe...

There is a huge difference between having a temporary peace settlement for temporary purposes and allowing them to open an 'office'
First we need to analyse that exactly what is our objective behind peace settlement

1)Is this is our objective?

-To end war compeletely
-To promote peace in the region

Any sane person,who has seen TTP's past attitude or had analysed complex heterogenous infra-structure which consists of 6O+ groups sharing resources with each other rather then central command are well aware of the fact that peace talks is not enough to stop their insurgency.
Now we need to see another aspect of coin:

-To have peace settlement in order to break them,weaken them.

For this purpose,I do support temoporary peace settlements,as we know that this peace will not last long.
According to Mr.Gul that 32 has agreed for peace talks plus we have succeed to altleast used this peace talk as a tool to create clevage as TTP itself has asked Jandullah group to leave Pakistan.
So,it is up to us that either we want peace settlement to accept their version of Islam and writ or to weaken them?
Our objective will decide our actions and plans.
Finally I am totally against of Mr.Khan's view to establish office as we are giving them direct access or key to our political base which my friends have denied earlier,however Taliban's dare and demand to change constitution has proved my point.
Thus I will conclude in the end saying that we must wagw war against those groups who want to fight with us on one hand and must continue to have peace settlements for those who are ready to have peace.

@niaz @Luftwaffe...

There is a huge difference between having a temporary peace settlement for temporary purposes and allowing them to open an 'office'
First we need to analyse that exactly what is our objective behind peace settlement

1)Is this is our objective?

-To end war compeletely
-To promote peace in the region

Any sane person,who has seen TTP's past attitude or had analysed complex heterogenous infra-structure which consists of 6O+ groups sharing resources with each other rather then central command are well aware of the fact that peace talks is not enough to stop their insurgency.
Now we need to see another aspect of coin:

-To have peace settlement in order to break them,weaken them.

For this purpose,I do support temoporary peace settlements,as we know that this peace will not last long.
According to Mr.Gul that 32 has agreed for peace talks plus we have succeed to altleast used this peace talk as a tool to create clevage as TTP itself has asked Jandullah group to leave Pakistan.
So,it is up to us that either we want peace settlement to accept their version of Islam and writ or to weaken them?
Our objective will decide our actions and plans.
Finally I am totally against of Mr.Khan's view to establish office as we are giving them direct access or key to our political base which my friends have denied earlier,however Taliban's dare and demand to change constitution has proved my point.
Thus I will conclude in the end saying that we must wagw war against those groups who want to fight with us on one hand and must continue to have peace settlements for those who are ready to have peace.

if thats how, genious khan thinks to make peace, thn its a green signal to every anti-pakistan force, that do what you want , in the end we will talk with you on with a perfect , cup of tea & surly at least , will give you 50% of your demands?
wow, wow, wow!
if this foolish idea been followed, then i guss, half of the pakistan be gone to, BLA, JEAY SINDH,TTp & others?

@Slav Defence, this in its self is a big success that 32 groups have agreed to cease fire and agree to hold talks.

South America was engulfed into conflict/wars when they realized they are being deliberately fought against each other they came had a sit down and conflicts ended the culprit was US.

@Slav Defence, this in its self is a big success that 32 groups have agreed to cease fire and agree to hold talks.

South America was engulfed into conflict/wars when they realized they are being deliberately fought against each other they came had a sit down and conflicts ended the culprit was US.
is pakistan under conflict with other countries of the region?
is TTp the force of other country?
& how sure you are 32 groups want to lay down the weapons, accept the justice , pakistani law?
its not 32 of them ,,wants to talk the surrender of pakistani state?

taken up arms; those assailing Taliban office proposal ought to realise that it is the APC that used the word ‘stakeholder’; drone attacks create more space for militancy

Special to The News

By Imran Khan

The debacle of East Pakistan, which led to the breakup of our country, left me with a strong conviction that military operations are never a solution to any problem, least of all one involving one’s own people.

I stood firmly with those who opposed Musharraf’s Balochistan operation and earlier the sending of the military into Waziristan.

Today, as I remain convinced that peace cannot be restored in Pakistan through continuing military operations, the entire political leadership of the country has shown the same conviction through the APC held last month. Three previous APCs had also sought peace through dialogue.

Yet, the saboteurs of the call for peace are at work too. With each series of bomb attacks, war hysteria seems to be increasing with demands for military operations. It is therefore critical we understand how we got to this state of affairs in the first place. We have been seeing continuing military operations since 2004, beginning in South Waziristan, and they have not stopped so far, even up to the APC. According to an ISPR statement, 100 people were killed in Orakzai Agency and in Tirah, Khyber Agency also army action has taken place.

We have seen over 3000 military personnel martyred in the process and we know the suffering of their families along with the families of the injured personnel, especially those permanently handicapped. We have seen our ill-equipped police martyred in the frontlines of terror attacks, especially in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. We have also seen our civilians suffering, not only through the illegal and inhumane drone attacks in FATA but also through the displacement of whole tribes who continue to remain homeless in their own country. The sacrifices of our people at so many levels are immeasurable.

Military operations without an overarching strategy to restore peace in the country are mere holding operations. The APC provides the legitimacy for a holistic approach, beginning with a structured dialogue. Military action and war are always the last resort option.

In the end they too, after much bloodshed, lead right back to the dialogue table, especially when a state is dealing with its own people. Most countries have eventually had to dialogue with their people who have taken up arms and conducted acts of terror against the state and innocent civilians - be it the UK with the IRA, the Sri Lankan government with the LTTE, The Philippines with the Moros, India’s Andra Pradesh Government with the Naxalites, to name just a few cases. Even the US had to hold talks with the Viet Cong and now with the Taliban.

Yet we went headlong into a one-dimensional militarist path with disastrous consequences after 9/11. Musharraf misled the nation about his commitments to the US on behalf of Pakistan. In the September 2001 APC, where all the political forces present questioned why our country was being dragged into the US-led War on Terror, he lied by saying that Pakistan was only providing the US with logistical support.

Through a series of lies, we saw an “invasion” of all manner of US personnel being given freedom of action within our country, with no control or accountability, and renditions of Pakistanis and others - some landing in Guantanamo, others simply disappearing. We slid further into an abyss of terrorism alongside drone attacks and military operations as we fell in line with the US militarist approach to the US ‘war on terror’. Drones have always been opposed on principle by PTI because not only are they a violation of international law, they do create more space for militancy. The attack on a Madrassah in Damadola in 2006 killing 80 civilians, including 60 children, is just one example of how it is civilians that have been the major victims of these illegal strikes. Damadola also directly led to a sharp spike in terror attacks in Pakistan. Simply ignoring the impact of drone strikes is an ostrich-like approach. A judgement of the Peshawar High Court earlier this year, awaiting implementation, vindicates our position on drones.

The question we need to ask is: has terrorism and violence increased or decreased in Pakistan both in terms of numbers of acts committed and the severity of these attacks? If we are honest, we will recognise that this policy has not only singularly failed but has also brought more instability, destruction and heightened extremism to the country.

So today, the nation and all the political forces stand united in giving peace a chance through dialogue, while recognising that there are no easy options available anymore. The September 2013 APC recalled previous ones calling to “give peace a chance” and reiterated its commitment to the same. In this context, the APC gave a mandate to the federal government, inter alia, “to initiate dialogue with all the stakeholders forthwith and for this purpose, authorize it to take all the necessary steps as it may deem fit, including development of an appropriate mechanism and identification of interlocutors. Needless to state the process should be as inclusive as possible, with full participation of the government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and other stakeholders.”

When some in the country, in an accusatory fashion, declare that PTI has given legitimacy to the Taliban by asking that an office be set up, they should recognize that it is the APC that used the word “stakeholder”. What I am suggesting is the initiation of a mechanism whereby we can begin to structuralise the dialogue process. We should know the nature of the enemy - there are 15 big Taliban groups and around 25 smaller ones, some of whom are funded by our enemies.

Therefore we need to identify and separate those groups willing to dialogue with the government and those not prepared to move beyond their agenda of violence, so that the latter can be isolated and dealt with. For that to happen we need to have a structured approach to dialogue rather than conducting it through the media. It is incumbent upon the federal government to inform us about the structure of the talks. As part of aiding the government in this context, we are suggesting that those groups willing to dialogue should be brought together and have a common base from which to conduct the dialogue and be held responsible for it - hence an office or “offices”. Structuring the talks prevents sabotage of the process. This will also show our sincerity to the tribal people who have the greatest stake in peace today and they can help in isolating the hard core militants.

All the political parties of Pakistan have given the federal government an unequivocal mandate to conduct talks to restore peace in the country, including for the first time in the context of FATA.

Previous attempts at dialogue and peace in FATA were attempted by the Army and they failed. The agreements reached were between the army and the militants, not the government that represents the state; and the federal head of state’s representative in FATA, the Political Agent, was opposed to these dialogues. Now it is the collective leadership of all the political parties of the country that has given a mandate to the federal government to move to dialogue and beyond.

In conclusion, I am aware of the fact that people voted for peace, especially in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. That is the PTI mandate from the people and PTI is committed to fulfilling this sacred trust. We realize our responsibility to protect the people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and we remain steadfast in taking on this task, despite the province being surrounded on three porous sides by FATA over which it has no authority or control. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is deliberately being targeted by those forces who do not want to see peace and stability restored in Pakistan. But we are determined to face the challenge of giving peace a chance against all odds and against all those forces determined to keep us weak, war ravaged and divided.Imran Khan is Chairman Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf, Pakistan’s second largest political party

Dialogue: the best of difficult options - thenews.com.pk

Understanding Imran

Understanding Imran - www.DAWN.COM
EVERYONE thinks Khan is nuts. Even folk in his party. Talk to the Taliban? It’s madness, mishegoss, lunacy.

Yet he persists, insists. Few have bothered to ask why though. Why fight the logic of rationality and the truth? Why be Taliban Khan? Why traverse the distance from appeaser to sympathiser to accomplice?

It starts from the beginning. When Imran started out in politics, he knew nothing about politics. He was out to the change the world, or at least his little corner of it, but he didn’t have the slightest clue how.

Unhappily for Khan, his opponents knew exactly what to do to neutralise the World Cup-winning, hospital-building, upstart politician who was a national hero.

In the political arena, Khan became the Jew-loving, secular playboy with children out of wedlock. Every time Khan wanted to talk about politics, his opponents wanted to talk about paternity tests.

It worked. Khan’s politics of opposition were drowned out by the jeering and rumours and salaciousness. His past had followed him into his future; old facts incompatible with new ambitions.

So Imran did the obvious thing: he set about converting Playboy Khan into Muslim Khan.

By owning religion, by embracing it and carrying a bright, burning torch for it, the godless secularist slowly inched towards safer terrain: the good Muslim.

It took years, but eventually the transformation was complete. Now, every time the mullah tried to shout him down, Khan could roar back.

His born-again credentials were impeccable, his defence of religion strident, his spiritual anchor unshakeable. Khan could get on with the business of politics freed from the distraction of the politics of religion.

Except, somewhere along the way, his re-education made him a believer. Of the personal religious side we can never know, but certainly of the intersection of politics and religion we do know.

If religion could be used to keep a man down, it could also be used to pull a man up. Khan, the victim of the intersection of politics and religion in the beginning, realised, once he had broken through to the other side, just how useful a tool it is to build support.

Folk wanted a new leader who could drag the country in a better direction, but folk had also become a bit more conservative over Khan’s lifetime. New Imran offered the perfect mix: a do-er who wore his religion on his sleeve.

That’s the first part of the evolution into Taliban Khan.

The second part is Khan’s Pakhtun roots: he’s just really, really into them now. He’s come to believe he knows what makes the Pakhtun mind tick, the carrots that appeal to it and the sticks that can work.

The one-time male chauvinist discovered ethnic chauvinism: Khan as a Pakhtun could tap into the Pakhtun psyche, which, for Khan, was the crucial step to understanding the Taliban phenomenon.

There is a deep irony here: for long, the state here has believed that the Pakhtuns could be kept in line, manipulated by one of two levers, nationalism and religion. But the state understood that they are alternating levers, never to be pressed at the same time.

Nationalism had to be discouraged because the Pakhtuns straddle the Durand Line and too much of Pakhtun nationalism could give them funny ideas about carving out a land for themselves.

But the other lever — religion — if pushed too far could create blowback of its own. See, the Taliban, in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

That’s also why there are still incurable conspiracy theorists out there who see the MMA government in KP followed by an ANP government as the state playing its old game of alternating between the religion/nationalism levers.

But Khan is different: he thinks he understands both, religion and nationalism, and wants to apply them both at the same time to his theory of reining in the TTP.

There is a third element in the evolution of Taliban Khan: ignorance. Yes, ignorance of a general kind he’s often accused of, but this particular ignorance is of a specific kind in a specific context.

What lines does Khan have open to the TTP? Who does he have access to, behind the scenes, through discreet and secure channels?

The Sharifs have shown how it’s done. Punjab has been kept relatively safe and away from immediate harm, folk have long suspected, because of their policy of buying off or co-opting militant threats.

But while the contours of that policy can be guessed, the specifics have been much harder to pin down — because the Sharifs are discreet about the behind-the-scenes, back-channel stuff.

Then Mauwiya, he of the Punjabi Taliban fame, let the cat out of the bag, jumping the gun on talks and earning himself a temporary punishment from TTP central.

Khan insists that talks are the only option, but who’s he got on the inside? Who’s the guy who can give Khan the inside track on what’s going on in the TTP, who’s up for talks, who isn’t, who to approach first, whom to be wary of?

Khan has no one. It started to become apparent during the election campaign: if the idea of talks and only talks was a scary enough position Khan had staked out, what was scarier was the realisation that Khan was only speaking to the TTP through his speeches and TV appearances.

After the election, it became clearer still: Khan and co approached various obvious interlocutors and asked several to help put the PTI in touch with the TTP.

Khan has no one on the inside. Which is almost as horrifying as the idea of talks and only talks: Khan not only doesn’t understand the enemy, he doesn’t even know who it is.

He doesn’t know because he doesn’t care. Because he thinks he knows what the real problem is.

Which has created a problem for everyone else: how to rein in Taliban Khan?

The writer is a member of staff.

cyril.a@**********

Twitter: @cyalm
http://www.defence.pk/forums/nation...ons-behind-his-support-ttp.html#ixzz2gdumVHp8

Back
Top Bottom