What's new

Centre hunts for replacement of PM Narendra Modi's VIP plane

The Huskar

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Will the President and Prime Minister soon be flying long overseas trips aboard Air India One or Air Force One?

The government is in the process of finding a replacement to the over two-decade-old Boeing 747 Jumbo Jets of Air India that have been used for long distance VVIP flights. But before the successor to the original "queen of the skies" (B-747) is found, a panel of secretaries of top ministries like defence, finance, aviation, external affairs, home along with brass of the special protection group will this month meet to address two key issues — whether the new plane should be two-engine or four-engine and whether AI or Indian Air Force should be operating and maintaining the chariot of the sky.

"There is a huge price difference in the price of twin-engine and four-engine jets. So there is the obvious financial angle," said highly placed sources.

The IAF maintains and operates a fleet of Boeing Business Jets for use by top VVIPs like President, Vice-President and Prime Minister for flying within India and to neighbouring countries. "The secretaries will decide whether the new aircraft should be with AI or IAF. If they decide in favour of the IAF, then the defence establishment will decide the successor aircraft. Else, civil aviation authorities will take a technical call on which plane is best suited for the VVIPs," said the source.

b3117fa235287fc864e5cbe68c056f1f._.jpg

Prime Minister Narendra Modi boarding the special Air India plane on his way to Japan earlier this year.

The final decision will be taken by the highest echelons of the government. However given the long-distance requirement, the choice for both the defence and civil aviation authorities is going to be limited to the options from Boeing and Airbus.

The four-engine options from Boeing are the four-engine B-747 and two-engine B-777 and B-787. Incidentally, AI already has both the long range (LR) and extended range (ER) versions of the Boeing 777, apart from the constantly snag-ridden Dreamliners (787).

The B-777s had been inducted into AI's fleet after 2007, and the Dreamliners are brand new with many yet to be delivered to the airline. The B 777-300 ER and B-787 compare favourably to the fuel-guzzling B-777 200 LR. AI is, in fact, getting rid of the LRs as keeping it on ground is less loss-making than flying it due to its abysmally poor fuel efficiency.

c34ac66157d4f80ea8a9bd461b106239._.jpg

President Pranab Mukherjee arriving at Chennai airport in a special Indian Air Force plane. (TOI file photo)

Sources do not rule out the possibility of using AI's wide body Boeing planes as the next VVIP jet with certain changes as they are already in the fleet and do not have to be bought afresh. Even if the government decides in favour of IAF maintaining and operating the next VVIP Jet, the same can be transferred from AI to IAF, reducing the Maharaja's loan.

The other options are from Airbus — four-engine A-340 and two-engine A-330, apart from the under development A-350.

The current list price of Boeing's long range jets goes from Rs 2,282 crore for a brand new B-747-8 to Rs 1,352 crore for a B 787-8. Airbus long range jets' current list price goes from Rs 2,112 crore for A-350-1000 to Rs 1,375 crore for A-330-200. (Calculations at Rs 62 to a dollar).

"AI's old B-747s are still trustworthy. The only issue is that their old engine and body frame make them fuel guzzlers. The fuel efficiency of new planes is obviously much better. It is just like comparing a well-maintained old car with a new one that boats of latest technology, comfort along with fuel efficiency," said a source.

A 4 engine plane is a much better choice than a 2 engined one

why is that? it's more efficient and probably costs less to maintain than a 4 engine like a 747

the 777X8 range is >9,300NMI

...I'm not trusting the 777. Previous Boeing planes were much better.

Maybe we should acquire Airbus A380 in VVIP configuration replacing the 747.

why is that? it's more efficient and probably costs less to maintain than a 4 engine like a 747

the 777X8 range is >9,300NMI

For the PM's flights, survivability is top requirement. Price/maintenance cost is not an issue.

A 4-engine plane can survive even if 2 engines fail.

It's not a question of cost as safety of PM is paramount than cutting corners.In case of a engine failure,a plane provides unique problems if it has to land using only 1 engine.
I have nothing against 2 engine planes but when you are incharge of a country's premier's life,it is better to be safe than sorry.

...I'm not trusting the 777. Previous Boeing planes were much better.

Maybe we should acquire Airbus A380 in VVIP configuration replacing the 747.

For the PM's flights, survivability is top requirement. Price/maintenance cost is not an issue.

A 4-engine plane can survive even if 2 engines fail.
It's not a question of cost as safety of PM is paramount than cutting corners.In case of a engine failure,a plane provides unique problems if it has to land using only 1 engine.
I have nothing against 2 engine planes but when you are incharge of a country's premier's life,it is better to be safe than sorry.

statiscally speaking a 2 engine is probably just as safe as 4 engine like a 747??? I haven't seen any news of a 777 just falling out of the sky except for the one shot over Ukraine.

statiscally speaking a 2 engine is probably just as safe as 4 engine like a 747??? I haven't seen any news of a 777 just falling out of the sky except for the one shot over Ukraine.

Thats what I was going to ask, statistically, is there any support to the argument that 4 engine modern planes are any safer than 2 engine?

Also, the chance of two engines failing is incredibly remote. Not sure thats even happened ever.

Lastly, all two engine planes are certified to fly and land on one engine.

This is not to say that when I'm flying and I look out the window and I see two engines on the wing I don't feel better :p

Thats what I was going to ask, statistically, is there any support to the argument that 4 engine modern planes are any safer than 2 engine?

Also, the chance of two engines failing is incredibly remote. Not sure thats even happened ever.

Lastly, all two engine planes are certified to fly and land on one engine.

This is not to say that when I'm flying and I look out the window and I see two engines on the wing I don't feel better :p

yeah i'm curious as well.
maybe in reguards to a SAM/Manpad attack would a 2 engine jet fair any better than a 4 engine one??? think Israel makes some self-protection systems for airliners though.

Why so quick, B@st@rds ?

Send out an RFI first..lets spend years deciding to hold every manner of trials.
then lets open a bid take years to finalise..then insist on making in india :P

yeah i'm curious as well.
maybe in reguards to a SAM/Manpad attack would a 2 engine jet fair any better than a 4 engine one??? think Israel makes some self-protection systems for airliners though.

True.

Besides, the whole debate is useless unless we take into account the power generated by every engine.

In case of a big sam with a 60 kg warhead and direct hit, its game over anyway. Maybe a manpad will take out one engine without fatally compromising the structural integrity of the plane. But then that scenario is somewhat similar to one engine failure no?

I'm guessing statistically there is not sufficient data to make a valid comparison, and theoretically a four engine should be a safer choice simply because of more redundancy.

he is telling bureaucrats not to use privileges aur khud naya jahaz mangwa raha hai. The air India one is not old yet and can serve 10 years more.

Dude it's not like it dint happen . But it may fall out of sky due to engine failure after all its a machine. Our PM life is more important for development of the country .

4 engine flights can survive on atleast 2 engine safely .If not with 1 . So 4 engine must be selected for vvip . Airbus or Boieng . Don't matter both are good .

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom