What's new

Catalan referendum: Voting begins amid police crackdown

There are also Catalans for the preservation of Spanish unity
Monday, 20:45
Abroad
That the Catalans who went to the polls would vote "yes," was already known. But not everyone in the Spanish region of Catalonia is for independence. Many people are talking about something else: just being heard:

Three quarters of Catalans think they have the right to express themselves in a referendum. "It was more about voting than being for or against independence," says correspondent Rop Zoutberg.

According to Zoutberg, the uncompromising reaction of Madrid, and the associated hard police action , only reinforced that feeling. Rajoy is in his right. The referendum was banned by a judge and violated the law. The Spanish Government has therefore done every effort to prevent the Catalans from voting.

The police arrested yesterday at various places where people could cast their voices: polling stations were closed and ballot papers were seized.

It's very hard for them to say they want to stay with Spain because the pressure of the others is so big.
Correspondent Rop Zoutberg
In recent years, the polls showed a neck-to-neck race between opponents and opponents. Of the 2.2 million people who voted Sunday, about 90 percent voted for independence. But more than half of the Catalans did not vote. Zoutberg: "The one half is for the other, not the one who is against the referendum, we have almost seen the past few weeks. They have not conducted a campaign here. You see in the streets especially flags before and almost flags against the referendum."

In the suburb of Barcelona where Rop Zoutberg is currently, different sounds are heard. "Hospitalet de Llobregat is a city where many people who come from outside of Catalonia are less connected to the fight against independence."

Angry
The suburb has 255,000 inhabitants and only one in five people will vote. The mayor received a lot of criticism because she did not express herself against the violence of the Spanish police yesterday. Many residents are also angry with her because they have not made any polling stations available. But not everyone shares that criticism of the mayor.

Zoutberg explains that some people are afraid of negative reactions when they say what they really think. "It's very hard for them to say they want to stay with Spain because the pressure of the others is so big." A resident of the city who dares to speak often hears from other residents that it is good that he is not quiet. "People say to me then: how good you are here, but they dare not demonstrate themselves."

The people who voted "yes" have little brain.
82-year-old resident

Another fierce opponent of the referendum is an 82-year-old resident of Hospitalet de Llobregat. "The people who voted" yes "have little brain. I do have them (brain) and know what will happen if the region is parting." The 82-year-old warns that pensions are going down and that the consequences are then clearly visible. "They have no idea those yes voters. I do not care about myself but more about my four children."

Economic consequences
Twenty percent of wealth in Spain is from Catalonia, but it is based on trade between Catalonia and the rest of Spain, says Zoutberg. "A manufacturer is rich now, because it exports to other parts of the country. If Catalonia becomes independent, we will see that they will impose taxes on each other, so that benefit will disappear soon. that could mean that big companies decide to leave here and settle elsewhere and then you get some kind of brexit. "

The 82-year-old resident is therefore afraid of it. "Rich and poor people have always been. If we go to a republic, that will not really change."

Translated from https://nos.nl/artikel/2195923-er-zijn-ook-catalanen-voor-behoud-van-de-spaanse-eenheid.html

Sometime I wonder if anyone know about what they are talking about?

There WILL NOT BE AN INDEPENDENCE. There were already several vote on it, and the last one in 2014 with the turn out about the same 42% and 81 % of Yes-Yes Vote (With the same 2 questions "Do you want Catalonia to become a State?" and "Do you want this State to be independent?") if they are going to be independence Catalunya, there are already one. (In fact, similar result in 2007 and 2010)

The different between Catalunya and Spain is deeper than just money, however, the constitution in Spain would not allow such independence movement, in fact after the last round of vote in 2014, the Spanish Government actually jailed some party member purporting the independent movement. Which by the look of it, would be the same thing after this vote. Everyone knows it is a shame, The Catalunyan knows it, the Spaniard knows this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom