What's new

Captive flight trials of anti-radiation missile soon

Mujraparty

Reaction score
Country
India
The missile’s range is 100 to 125 km and will be mounted on combat aircraft Sukhoi (Su-30) and Tejas-LCA.— File Photo: AFP

Captive flight trials of an advanced, state-of-the-art Anti-Radiation Missile (ARM) are planned for April-May this year, and the maiden flight test by year-end by the missile technologists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation.

The air-to-surface tactical missile being developed by Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) will target the enemy’s air defence capabilities by attacking radars and communication facilities.

The range of the missile is 100 to 125 km and it will be mounted on combat aircraft Sukhoi (Su-30) and Tejas-Light Combat Aircraft.

The missile picks up the radiation or signals of radars and communication facilities and homes on to the targets to destroy them.

According to DRDO sources, scientists will evaluate the performance of the seeker, navigation and control system, structural capability and aerodynamic vibrations during the captive flight trials. These will be followed by ground testing and the missile will be fired from Su-30 during the actual flight trial by year-end. Instead of thrust propulsion, the missile uses dual pulse propulsion system as in the case of LR-SAM. The dual pulse propulsion will widen the envelope as well as the engagement capability of the missile. After coasting the missile for the required duration by firing the first pulse, the second pulse will be initiated just before interception of the target or during the terminal phase, the sources added.

The entire missile is being developed indigenously, including the seeker. The missile will be inducted in about two years after conducting a number of developmental trials.

Only a few countries, including the U.S. and Germany, have ARMs at present, the sources added.

The dual pulse propulsion system could be configured with other air-to-surface and air-to-air missiles, the sources added.

Meanwhile, the induction of LR-SAM (Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile), jointly developed by India and Israel, will begin September-October this year. It was successfully test-fired from INS Kolkata to intercept an aerial target last year and the missile is slated to be launched from warships, INS Kochi and INS Chennai, for similar trials later this year.

Captive flight trials of anti-radiation missile soon - NATIONAL - The Hindu
:-)

The missile’s range is 100 to 125 km and will be mounted on combat aircraft Sukhoi (Su-30) and Tejas-LCA.— File Photo: AFP

Captive flight trials of an advanced, state-of-the-art Anti-Radiation Missile (ARM) are planned for April-May this year, and the maiden flight test by year-end by the missile technologists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation.

The air-to-surface tactical missile being developed by Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) will target the enemy’s air defence capabilities by attacking radars and communication facilities.

The range of the missile is 100 to 125 km and it will be mounted on combat aircraft Sukhoi (Su-30) and Tejas-Light Combat Aircraft.

The missile picks up the radiation or signals of radars and communication facilities and homes on to the targets to destroy them.

According to DRDO sources, scientists will evaluate the performance of the seeker, navigation and control system, structural capability and aerodynamic vibrations during the captive flight trials. These will be followed by ground testing and the missile will be fired from Su-30 during the actual flight trial by year-end. Instead of thrust propulsion, the missile uses dual pulse propulsion system as in the case of LR-SAM. The dual pulse propulsion will widen the envelope as well as the engagement capability of the missile. After coasting the missile for the required duration by firing the first pulse, the second pulse will be initiated just before interception of the target or during the terminal phase, the sources added.

The entire missile is being developed indigenously, including the seeker. The missile will be inducted in about two years after conducting a number of developmental trials.

Only a few countries, including the U.S. and Germany, have ARMs at present, the sources added.

The dual pulse propulsion system could be configured with other air-to-surface and air-to-air missiles, the sources added.

Meanwhile, the induction of LR-SAM (Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile), jointly developed by India and Israel, will begin September-October this year. It was successfully test-fired from INS Kolkata to intercept an aerial target last year and the missile is slated to be launched from warships, INS Kochi and INS Chennai, for similar trials later this year.

Captive flight trials of anti-radiation missile soon - NATIONAL - The Hindu
:-)
any info on k-100?

4tkoZ2f.jpg

'
*The missile’s range is 100 to 125 km

*Dual pulse propulsion system used as in the case of LR-SAM, Astra Mark 2

*The entire missile is being developed indigenously, including the seeker

*Used by Tejas to MKI

Last edited:
I never heard of this missile.Is this the first time it has been mentioned?

One more step on the 100% Indigenous in Missiles.

New Updated in missiles by Drdo chief in an interview :

1. Astra would join soon.
2. Desi Ku band seeker, developed, testing going
3. Ashvin based 200 km SAM program as LRSAM.
4. Helina with 7.5 Air launch and namica soon.
5. Active seeker for Akash-2, but seems dubious for me, when there is Barak

Last edited:
Its one of the best news i had been waiting to hear...
With the second pulse motor, it would be interesting to see if the flight path of 100-125 km is in what combination...

I am especially interested to understand a lo-lo flight path.. an eg the Mar1 talks about 60-100 km range in a typical flight path and is approx 20-33 km in lo-lo config...
I am interested to see how far off we can take this ARM capability as with Ku Band seeker, the capability is multifold..

I am liking the fact that Barak8, Astra Mk2 and now our ARM all are using dual pulse motor..

Yes @knight11 The Ku bank seeker would be the triumphant moment for us.. It opens up a whole lot new era of opportunities and usage..

Its one of the best news i had been waiting to hear...
With the second pulse motor, it would be interesting to see if the flight path of 100-125 km is in what combination...

I am especially interested to understand a lo-lo flight path.. an eg the Mar1 talks about 60-100 km range in a typical flight path and is approx 20-33 km in lo-lo config...
I am interested to see how far off we can take this ARM capability as with Ku Band seeker, the capability is multifold..

I am liking the fact that Barak8, Astra Mk2 and now our ARM all are using dual pulse motor..

Yes @knight11 The Ku bank seeker would be the triumphant moment for us.. It opens up a whole lot new era of opportunities and usage..

Bro Actually the range of either BVR, SAM and ARM also depends on the software, the ones that takes the route to its target. If we intend to make smart weapons another piece in the fifth Gen warfare, such development is much needed say the ARM fired from some platform, with live update from UAV, and ARM acting as sensor, and providing latest updates and pictures to the Battlefield network and update.

source
One more step on the 100% Indigenous in Missiles.

New Updated in missiles by Drdo chief in an interview :

1. Astra would join soon.
2. Desi Ku band seeker, developed, testing going
3. Ashvin based 200 km SAM program as LRSAM.
4. Helina with 7.5 Air launch and namica soon.
5. Active seeker for Akash-2, but seems dubious for me, when there is Barak

..Good News...
..but how to prevent it going the Nag way...
Sorry for not believing in DRDO's MARKETING capability:(

Will be sweeter if they can increase the range to 175-200 km.

More than enough, because no HADF Pod , here in this case SIVA Pod to guide the precise coordinates for the ARM is not of 100's of KM, and practically Ground radars usually are in silent mode and are active only for few seconds, and then go silent during war conditions. Better if could be equipped on board UAVs for SEAD.

The best part is this technology is 100% Indian- even on the BARAK-8 IAI wanted India's propulsion tech to feature.

..Good News...
..but how to prevent it going the Nag way...
Sorry for not believing in DRDO's MARKETING capability:(
What is the "NAG" way exactly bro? If the product is up to the mark it is always inducted, it is only when it has failed to meet qualatative requirements that it has not been.

4tkoZ2f.jpg

'
*The missile’s range is 100 to 125 km

*Dual pulse propulsion system used as in the case of LR-SAM, Astra Mark 2

*The entire missile is being developed indigenously, including the seeker

*Used by Tejas to MKI
Probably the Tejas would be equipped with these missiles to neutralize enemy air defences (missiles) from stand off ranges within own territory after which the MKIs and Rafales will go in for massive interdiction of enemy assets.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom