What's new

Canadian civilians upgrading Norinco T97 rifles

Broccoli

Reaction score
Country
Finland
It looks a a lot better than QBZ-95G when it comes mounting optics. Norinco designers need to step up their game.

The new T97NSR FTU™ (Flat Top Upper) is a CNC machined, 6061 alloy, 1913 Picatinny optics rail, firearms accessories mounting platform and protective hand guard. It was produced by the product developers at M14.ca, the OEM of the M14.ca Blackfeather "RS" rifle stock and the M14.ca CASM™ scope mount series, under the new web site: Type97NSR, T97NRR Rifle Parts, Accessories, Scope Mounts, Rails The T97.ca FTU™ is the first in a series of planned upgrades for the Norinco T97NSR bullpup rifle. The FTU™ replaces the T97NSR's factory iron sights, original plastic hand guard as well as the original T97NSR charging handle with a larger, non-reciprocating charging handle (NRCH) (a reciprocating charging handle (RCH) is also available) changing the operational dynamics of the original rifle.
Type97NSR, T97NRR Rifle Parts, Accessories, Scope Mounts, Rails

I know the guy doing it too. He lives on Vancouver Island. He's at stage 2 of the mod.

What Westerners don't know is that China doesn't really need "cool looking" optic mounts. If a gun can mount optics, then that's good enough.

Although, to be honest, the gun does look cool, but performance is more important that looks. I prefer QBZ-95, since it uses 5.8mm rounds.

What Westerners don't know is that China doesn't really need "cool looking" optic mounts. If a gun can mount optics, then that's good enough.

Although, to be honest, the gun does look cool, but performance is more important that looks. I prefer QBZ-95, since it uses 5.8mm rounds.

It has nothing to do with "cool looking" but everything to do with usability and comfort, and having a tall rifle makes you to have bigger silhouette too.

Smaller silhouette is good thing for many reasons.

It has nothing to do with "cool looking" but everything to do with usability and comfort, and having a tall rifle makes you to have bigger silhouette too.

Smaller silhouette is good thing for many reasons.
Mmmhhh, I see. But the QBZ-95 and Type 97 are more suited to battlefield type scenarios.

cool mod, but I it would be a bit too costly to be a standard issue. Scope is not really required for most battle scenarios, and it will add weight. I am sure PLA special corps will have different versions of the rifle, too.

FINALLY SOMEONE IS DOING IT.........

As a semi Gun nuts myself, i really liked the Type-97, the only thing stop me from buying it is

A.) There weren't any local Norinco dealer in my home town
B.) The fact that it's not a modular weapon.

You People who never fired a rifle will say the Pin-rail is there for the looky part, but you don't understand the important for having a standard pin-rail over weapon. First of all, it does not allow quick modification, like if i want to have a tactical flash light or foregrip, or even grenade launcher, you cannot have a quick fix on that, or even a possible fix on that.

I want my weapon to be able to do multiple things, i want to use it, day and night, and i cannot use it at night if i cannot put a laser designator in.

Then there were the whole deal about Scope over carry handle, i don't know about anyone, i really really really hated that. I used to have a Vietnam era AR-15 at home, and the gun shop fitted a trijicon scope over the handle with the conversion kits. I hated that ever since and after a while, i just sold the damn thing.

You can still shoot accurately with adjustment, but the eye position is all wrong, and when it cannot carry on with my other rifle, that High-Low-High-Low making me uncomfortable.

@Fsjal

It actually wasn't, take it from a former soldier, QBZ not being a modular weapon actually loses it value in battlefield. In battle we got soemthing called Mission Orientated Loadout, without a rifle base that can universivally adopt anything, that mean either you are using the same rifle for every occasion (Long range combat (Require scope), short range combat (Require reflex sight), fire suspression(Larger magazine capacity and foregrip), tactical assault (Grenade Launcher and reflex sight), Stealth (Supresser), Recon (Thermal Sight) and Night Fighting (require NVG adaptor and Laser Det)

Or Basically if your rifle cannot loadout to suit every senario i have mention, you are doing a substandard job with it and you cannot do it without a pin-rail or any quick attachment system if you are to do it out in the field.

@conworldus

The Chinese Special Force were using Chinese made (or cloned) M4, a friend of mine were in the US Special Forces and were trained with Chinese Counterpart when their unit visited China some year ago.

And having to redesign and refit a weapon to suit different loadout is not really that expensive

Back
Top Bottom