What's new

Can Mulan help re-boost China's image after Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

PakistaniandProud

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The classic Mulan was a huge hit and is loved by a huge segment of western audiences. The live-action film is set to release Wednesday-Thursday-Friday on March 26th is already set to be a huge hit. Can the movie which features almost 100% Chinese background actors and settings change back people's perspective after the coronavirus ongoing saga?

Walt Disney
(NYSE:DIS) is coming off another big year with its studios' segment. In fiscal 2019, Disney made $11.1 billion in revenue from its movie releases. While 2020 wasn't expected to match that performance, especially with no Star Wars film scheduled for release this year, the outbreak of COVID-19 is bringing Disney's momentum to a screeching halt.

The release of Mulan in China this month was expected to be one of Disney's biggest releases of the year, but with theaters closed all over China, the studios' segment may see a slump in the short term. Mulan is scheduled to be released on March 27 in the U.S.

IMAGE SOURCE: WALT DISNEY.

Disney is feeling some pain
Mulan had a budget of $200 million and was specifically aimed at a Chinese audience. Disney relies on international markets to pad its studios' revenue. Last year's release of The Lion King made $543 million at the box office domestically but generated $1.1 billion in ticket sales overseas.

The spread of COVID-19 seems to have slowed down in China, with over 80,000 cases reported to date in mainland China. Apple has already reopened its factories and some stores there, so the situation in China may be stabilizing, which would limit the impact on Disney.

Disney is certainly vulnerable to a worldwide outbreak. Combined, its theme parks and studios segment make up roughly half of the company's annual revenue. Disney has already temporarily shut down its parks in Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Disney said during its fiscal first-quarter conference call that the park closures would cut $145 million from operating income, and this assumes the parks are closed for just two months. Investing in China is never smooth sailing.

Last edited:
Unless Mulan eats live animals in the film, she should be ok

Live action Mulan lacks Mushu (dragon), i am already disappointed on that, however, Original Mulan was not about the dragon only, the story of Mulan, the fight with that Enemy over the snow mountains, would love to see its real live adaptation

Live action Mulan lacks Mushu (dragon), i am already disappointed on that, however, Original Mulan was not about the dragon only, the story of Mulan, the fight with that Enemy over the snow mountains, would love to see its real live adaptation

Correct me if I'm wrong but the live-action removed Mushu due to some religious reasonings?

The release time coincidently happen in the same time when the coronavirus outbreak spread around the world.

If corona goes out, something else will come in. With shitty habits of having Bat soup and snake pickles and gutter oil consuming habits, these sort of epidemics will keep coming in. China is a gone case now.

If corona goes out, something else will come in. With shitty habits of having Bat soup and snake pickles and gutter oil consuming habits, these sort of epidemics will keep coming in. China is a gone case now.

Buddy, you're from India. Need us to say more? Take a look inwards. Cow dung games, cow urine coke, Ganges river with dead bodies, open defecation. Come on now.

I think the movie will be rescheduled, the virus outbreak is just at the beginning in Europe and USA.

Coronavirus will spread to India, trust me. India is in no position to handle this crisis. Mark my words. Italian previously is the first to show racism and gloat at Chinese and see what happen to them. India is next.

Ignorant fool deserve a bad end. You think India can build a thousand bed hospital in 10 days? LOL.. I look down at India.

This (Western) Mulan is not that (Chinese) Mulan. The authentic Hua Mulan of China is not the same as Mulan of Western movie. This Movie is just a distorted version of Original Chinese story.

It is like the American Chinese Chopsuey which you can never find in any restaurant in China.

All I see is an attempt to salvage image after an attempt to insert a Viet into the Star Wars movies and have them bombed at the China box office.

The $200M budget for Mulan, thats an apology from Disney to say, "sorry we screwed up previously!"

Still remember the animated version from the 90s and wasnt there a big issue with the lead actress who supported the PRC over the HK rioters last year

Didn't James Bond get postponed due to coronavirus? Not sure if people would be willing to go to cinemas just yet

Back
Top Bottom