What's new

Can Captain Amarinder Singh defeat Narendra Modi in 2024?

Can Captain Amarinder Singh defeat Narendra Modi in 2024?

• Total voters

Kailash Kumar

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
Which Indian Opposition Politician Has the Best Chance of Defeating Narendra Modi?

India’s main opposition party today lacks a leader who could challenge Narendra Modi. Who would stand a better chance?

Krzysztof Iwanek

April 27, 2020

Last year’s Indian parliamentary elections ended with a clear verdict: not only had the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won again, but it was confirmed that the party’s sole national rival, the Indian National Congress, lacks the strength, popularity, a sense of a direction, and a strong, charismatic leader. By comparison, the BJP’s leadership and India’s current Prime Minister Narendra Modi has mastered the art of continuous self-promotion. Thus, his rivals need to come up with a strong candidate how might be projected as the next Prime Minister.

I will not try to guess which leader will be eventually selected to throw down the gauntlet in front of Modi in 2024. Given the disarray of the party, even the Congress may not know this yet. What I will consider instead is which candidates would have a better chance against the current prime minister.

The next general elections are still four years away, but the soul searching has already started. One of the Congress’ weaknesses, however, is that its reins are held by an old guard that refuses to step aside and allow a gust of fresh air into the party leadership. For years, the commanding position belonged to the queen-behind-the-scenes, Sonia Gandhi, who groomed her son, Rahul Gandhi, as her heir. Yet, after a string of defeats that weakened the Congress over the last six years, Rahul Gandhi resigned from the post of party president in 2019 and appears to be adamant in his decision.

For now, the responsibility to set the party on the new course is back on the shoulders of the queen: Sonia Gandhi. Her current presidency of the party is presented as temporary, however, until a new leader is found. The dynastic line may be retained if Sonia Gandhi picks her daughter, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, for the position. Alternatively, the responsibility may be given to some of the senior leaders who have cooperated closely with Sonia Gandhi in recent years. While one of her most-trusted men, Ahmed Patel, shuns publicity and is not expected to take the post, one name from this group that was doing rounds was that of Mallikarjun Kharge.

Which of these choices would work best? In my view, none. A winnable candidate against Modi must not only have the air of charisma around him, but also the aura of a strong leader and a track record of governance. Before becoming the prime minister in 2014, Narendra Modi was the chief minister of the state of Gujarat for over 12 years and by the time of next elections, he have been prime minister for 10 years. A candidate with little or no experience of public administration cannot be projected against him. The BJP’s narrative machine would continuously question his or her qualifications and so would a part of the electorate.

Except for Kharge, none of the above-mentioned politicians have the experience of that scale. Sonia Gandhi made a terrible mistake of not making Rahul Gandhi a cabinet minister despite having 10 years in power to do so (in 2004-2014). There are some regional leaders to choose from, however: those who have proven they can win state elections even now, when the party has lost the plot. Such politicians probably have more support on the ground level in their regions than many members of the party’s central leadership.

In other words: it is not only about experience, but a fresh experience and the capability to win elections against Modi’s BJP. Some of the Congress old-timers are undoubtedly very experienced politicians. But they have been winning elections in the pre-Modi era, when the Congress was powerful and it was the BJP that was clueless. Modi and his PR machine are now largely setting the tune of public debate and the Congress must figure out how to post a reply. Some key leaders of the old guard, such as Mallikarjun Kharge or Mukul Wasnik (who was reportedly also considered for the post of the party president), indeed won elections and held ministerial positions in the past. But they have lost their electoral contests in Modi’s time (since 2014), and have been working for the party structure, not in public administration, in the last few years.

There are only three states in India in that the Congress rules independently right now and their chief ministers could be considered for the position. These are: Captain Amarinder Singh (Punjab), Bhupesh Baghel (Chattisgarh), and Ashok Gehlot (Rajasthan). However, the former two are not part of the Congress Working Committee – the party’s top decision-making body – which may be an indication of their relatively weaker position. This could indicate Gehlot’s higher chances. Indeed, when Rahul Gandhi quit, some of the media claimed Gehlot was set to become the party president (which he denied, as well as declared he is not interested in the post). While all three chief ministers stated that Rahul Gandhi should continue as party president, this was what virtually all Congress leaders were declaring in public. It does not have to mean that they would not take the offer if given a chance.

Another regional leader, Kamal Nath, is tainted by his role in 1984 anti-Sikh riots (although a similar accusation against Modi did not stop him from becoming the prime minister). While under his lead the Congress did narrowly beat the BJP in 2018 in elections in the state of Madhya Pradesh, and Nath became the chief minister, he eventually lost the chance to gain more experience in high-level governance when in March this year the BJP unscrupulously toppled his government by taking over a part of the legislature.

The Congress needs a vast revamp to convince the electorate that it has something new and doable to offer. In order to do this, the party could field a younger leader as its president and/or prime ministerial candidate. By this I mean a person both younger than the old guard and not belonging to the party’s ruling dynasty, as otherwise Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi are also considered “young leaders.” In the Congress and the BJP, the “younger” generation are 40-50 olds. The old guard appears unlikely to allow such a transformation, however.

Yet, in case a such a leader is indeed considered, the party may opt for Sachin Pilot, the current deputy chief minister of Rajasthan and a person with current experience in both fighting and winning elections, as well as in administration. This, however, would not be easily acceptable for his superiors, including Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, as these politicians simultaneously cooperate and compete in their state.

Which of these options would work best? In my view, Captain Amarinder Singh. He has been the chief minister of Punjab for three years already (and five years in the past). He would have to win the 2022 state elections to keep his chances higher, however. He is also a senior leader and would not be perceived as inexperienced when posed against Modi. Moreover, Singh is regarded as a strong leader and is a former soldier and is also known to be very critical of Pakistan (a view that led him into open disagreements with his party colleague in the Punjab chapter of the Congress, Navjot Singh Sidhu). This is an important aspect to consider when countering the BJP and Modi, who base a significant part of their narrative on stressing that they are able to defend India from Pakistan better than others. It may be difficult for Modi to outdo Singh at least on this one front.

All of the above also assumes that Congress will be able to gather a coalition that could take on the BJP and will remain important enough to suggest a prime ministerial candidate to its allies. Given the party’s current disarray, even this remains uncertain, however. Two other scenarios may arise: (1) that the Congress will become numerically so weak that it will not be even able to play a leading role in a broader anti-BJP coalition, being forced to accept a leader of another, regional party as a candidate for the prime minister’s post, or (2) the Congress will become sidelined completely and another party will take its place (although the latter should take much more than four years).

Until any of those scenarios are realized, the BJP and Modi, with their massive finances and a powerful PR machinery, will remain unchallenged. For now, Narendra Modi’s biggest rival is himself.

https://thediplomat.com/2020/04/whi...s-the-best-chance-of-defeating-narendra-modi/

About the poll:

The writer of the article in the original post suggests that Captain Amarinder Singh of the Indian National Congress has the best chance of defeating Narendra Modi in the Indian general election of 2024.

He's too old.

Congress need someone in their 50s - 60s age range ( younger than that if proven/acceptable enough) and isnt a complete princeling dolt to have a chance....and then tick all the good boxes like sufficient enough distance from the "gandhi" nepotism clan just like capt saab....and have some fealty to meritocracy and clean slate push.

But instead this party still seems to be more interested in consolidating around the clan and lackey clans...and learning no lessons, forget introspecting.

Scindia (who I was hoping was promising one to add counterweight inside congress) defected already, wonder if Pilot will stay the course.

He's too old.

Congress need someone in their 50s - 60s age range ( younger than that if proven/acceptable enough) and isnt a complete princeling dolt to have a chance....and then tick all the good boxes like sufficient enough distance from the "gandhi" nepotism clan just like capt saab....and have some fealty to meritocracy and clean slate push.

But instead this party still seems to be more interested in consolidating around the clan and lackey clans...and learning no lessons, forget introspecting.

Scindia (who I was hoping was promising one to add counterweight inside congress) defected already, wonder if Pilot will stay the course.
INC needs a completely new batch of young politicians who arent already tainted or have bad image in public. They need a new strategy for the changing political scene in the country. The problem is for some reason they are unable to get over RG. They still want to push his case when he has been repeatedly and decisively rejected.

He's too old.
RG and Scindia are two peas in a pod. Same silver spoon and family politics. Despite his overall good image at national level, he doesnt have the same clout as of Kamal Nath's. Sachin pilot is a promising case. Many INC leaders have gone AWOL.

RG and Scindia are two peas in a pod. Same silver spoon and family politics. Despite his overall good image at national level, he doesnt have the same clout as of Kamal Nath's.

Well Scindia isn't a dolt. I am well aware of his lineage/family roots (and thus silver spoon)...but I respect that one lot more than the Gandhi clan to be quite frank.

My mom and pop speak quite highly of his father overall....80s and 90s were interesting time period for lot of this in general.

I am biased on the matter heavily and accept that. I just find Gandhi family way too nepotism over nationalism.

Sachin pilot is a promising case.

Let us see. He needs a front and centre CM'ship for a chunk of years like right now...not some paddy wagon 2nd fiddle stuff.

I would say the Congress has a great chance in 2024. The poor do not understand covid, lockdown etc. As far as they are concerned, their livelihoods have been severely affected twice by BJP - Demonetization and now this lockdown. Moreover, we would most likely be seeing growth of 2-3% and poor employment employment growth until 2022 due to lingering effects of covid. The muslims were always against BJP, so their votes were always going to congress but even the 100 million Dalits have been alienated due to stupid cow vigilantes and high caste tribal elders who have become more emboldened. I think BJP is toast. I obviously don't blame them for this coronavirus shitstorm, but their failure to control fringe elements is going to cost them dearly. Poor economic growth(even before the virus), total alienation of muslims and dalits. Yea they fucked up bad. They had a great opportunity and they blew it.

Last edited:
In long term, the best interest of Pakistan is that Modi passes his rein to Amit Shah, and Amit Shah passes the power to Yogi Adityanath. What this trio can do to India for Pakistan, most people can't even think of!

I would say the Congress has a great chance in 2024. The poor do not understand covid, lockdown etc. As far as they are concerned, their livelihoods have been severely affected twice by BJP - Demonetization and now this lockdown. Moreover, we would most likely be seeing growth of 2-3% and poor employment employment growth until 2022 due to lingering effects of covid. The muslims were always against BJP, so their votes were always going to congress but even the 100 million Dalits have been alienated due to stupid cow vigilantes and high caste tribal elders who have become more emboldened. I think BJP is toast. I obviously don't blame them for this coronavirus shitstorm, but their failure to control fringe elements is going to cost them dearly. Poor economic growth(even before the virus), total alienation of muslims and dalits. Yea they fucked up bad. They had a great opportunity and they blew it.
On the contrary, it's the poor who always understood the needs of the country and stood by the leader who took strict action towards it. If at all anyone is unhappy about covid19, it's the upper/middle class. They have much to loose. If anything, Modi image has risen even further by the handling of covid19 situation. You are insulting the intelligence of Indian electorate.

it's the poor who always understood the needs of the country and stood by the leader who took strict action towards it.

Are you talking about the poor migrants who were forced to walk back to their villages? They support Modi-Ji's lockdown? What were they protesting in this picture?
Pic-12-2.jpg

Are you talking about the poor migrants who were forced to walk back to their villages? They support Modi-Ji's lockdown? What were they protesting in this picture?
Pic-12-2.jpg
Why waste your time on India threads?

Congress is a absolute disappointment and disgrace to its gloried history. After Rahul Gandhi resigned, these dynastic dolts in CWC tried to have Priyanka as the President. The members of CWC will not take nominate each other in the fear that status quo will be affected and will refuse to work under them. They also fear Congress can get face instabilities circa 96-98 times. Shashi Tharoor notwithstanding complaints against him was also a good candidate. But Congress CWC have sidelined him for supporting some govt decisions. He also made important points opposing modi blindly is counterproductive and he proved right.

Gandhi's must quit for the sake of the nation. Sure there will be some problems in Congress for some time. But that's how new leaders arise.
I am actually more convinced more than Rahul it's congressi 'unelectable' members interested in having the family at the top of the head so they can enjoy benefits and corruption.

Congress is a absolute disappointment and disgrace to its gloried history. After Rahul Gandhi resigned, these dynastic dolts in CWC tried to have Priyanka as the President. The members of CWC will not take nominate each other in the fear that status quo will be affected and will refuse to work under them. They also fear Congress can get face instabilities circa 96-98 times. Shashi Tharoor notwithstanding complaints against him was also a good candidate. But Congress CWC have sidelined him for supporting some govt decisions. He also made important points opposing modi blindly is counterproductive and he proved right.

Gandhi's must quit for the sake of the nation. Sure there will be some problems in Congress for some time. But that's how new leaders arise.
I am actually more convinced more than Rahul it's congressi 'unelectable' members interested in having the family at the top of the head so they can enjoy benefits and corruption.

Actually Congress sans Gandhi familly will be a potent force in next election...Congress has to realize that Rahul is not a leader..Rather they should allow many other good leaders to take over in true sense other than making MMS kind of leader...

Sachin Pilot, Amrinder Singh, AK Antony and even i would like to see Omar Abdulla kind of leaders should be developed as next gen leaders rather than regional crooks like Mamta, Maya and Akhilesh kind of leaders

Back
Top Bottom