What's new

Can Bangladesh economy be stronger than Pakistan's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Can Bangladesh economy be stronger than Pakistan's?
Mamun Rashid
10/5/2006

IS this a relevant question to ask? The country that is making frequent news in the global arena, daring to fight against a near-superpower known as India, spending billions of dollars in building military prowess and what not, is called Pakistan.
Recently we have read in newspaper that General Musharraf is now defying even the President of the United States of America with allegations of threatening Pakistan on the US anti-Laden agenda. How can a minnow of the world economies like Bangladesh, have the audacity to even think about superceding Pakistan in economic supremacy? Dear readers, please hold your breath for a moment now as we take a closer look at the macro-economic fundamentals of these two countries.
Let's first dissect and analyse Pakistan's economic performance during the last ten years. Pakistan's nominal gross domestic product (GDP) in 1997 was US$ 75.3 billion. Six years later in 2002, the country's nominal GDP came down to US$ 71.5 billion. During this six-year period, the real GDP grew by a meagre 3.0 per cent on an average. This is a poor macro-economic performance for a developing economy, especially when the other South Asian economies were growing at a much faster rate, especially, India and Bangladesh. Average export growth of Pakistan during this period was only 1.2 per cent as opposed to over 15 per cent of the neighboring countries. Pakistan government's debt was 82 per cent of its GDP in 2002. Over one-third of the government's revenue was being used up in making interest payments on the national debt. During similar period, Bangladesh's economy grew at over 5.0 per cent, government debt stood at around half of the GDP, exports grew robustly at double digit rates and government's interest payment was only around 15 per cent of government revenue. As we can see, fundamentally Bangladesh economy was faring much better than Pakistan economy during the six years between 1997-2002.
Regardless of the past performances, Pakistan has a different story to tell to the world during the last three years. The near stagnant economy suddenly started showing miraculous growth. The economy grew at 5.1 per cent in 2003, 6.4 per cent in 2004 and 7.0 per cent in 2005. The US$ 72 billions economy of 2002 has swelled into a US$ 108 billion economy in 2005, in just three years. What has Pakistan done right here? Was it a drastic opening of the economy, unconditional digestion of World Bank/IMF prescription, improvement in socio-political environment, significant change in economic policy-making or a sudden reduction of wide-spread corruption prevailing in the country? Actually, it is none of the above. Let's take a deeper look.
As we have mentioned above, during 1997-2002 Pakistan's average export growth has been 1.2 per cent per year. In stark contrast to its own past trend, Pakistan experienced an average export growth of 13 per cent per year during 2003-05. About 30 per cent of Pakistan's exports go to the United States and United Kingdom. Both of these countries have increased their imports from Pakistan by 15 per cent in 2003 and 14 per cent in 2004. On the other hand, the government's debt as a percentage of the GDP came down to 59 per cent in 2005 from 82 per cent in 2002. Also, Pakistan government's interest payment as a percentage of revenue collection came down to 23 per cent in 2005 as compared to 35 per cent in 2002. How has it been possible? The United States has led the effort to dramatically reduce Pakistan's official debt through Paris Club rescheduling and bilateral forgiveness. Pakistan's debt to the United States has been cut to half - by $1.5 billion. As the US government puts it, "The United States and Pakistan share a close, long-term partnership. The $3.0 billion, five-year assistance package announced by President Bush in June 2003, demonstrates our commitment to support Pakistan's efforts to strengthen security in the region, help Pakistan's participation in the war on terror, and build economic opportunities for its citizens by reducing poverty, illiteracy and the conditions in which extremism flourishes".
Clearly, Pakistan's economic miracle in the recent past has been a result of its foreign policy, not prudent macro-economic management. General Mosharraf has decidedly and comprehensively supported the United States and the allies in the so-called 'war against terrorism' and negotiated good economic turn-around for this country. The question here is how sustainable is this policy in the long run? How many 9/11s will there be for Mr. Musharraf to prove his worth to the US? We are already seeing signs of a degenerating cohort. In 2005, both the United States and the United Kingdom together reduced their imports from Pakistan by 2.0 per cent. In 2006, Pakistan's GDP growth will recede by half a per cent.
As published by the Asian Development Bank, the first half of FY2006 was marked by a slowdown in both industry and agriculture. Output of cotton declined by an estimated 10.9 per cent from an all-time high of 14.6 million bales harvested in FY2005. Production of sugarcane, another major summer crop, is also estimated lower than last year. The growth of large-scale manufacturing slowed to 8.7 per cent in the first quarter of FY2006 from 24.9 per cent in the same period of last year, primarily due to capacity constraints and the high-base effect. Among individual industries in the first quarter, growth of textiles tumbled to 7.2 per cent from 29.6 per cent year on year. Automobile assembly and electronics, which have shown the fastest expansion among sub-sectors in the last 2-3 years, also decelerated. Inflation accelerated in FY2005 after five years of price stability. Annual inflation, based on the consumer price index, more than doubled to 9.3 per cent from 4.6 per cent, mainly because of higher food prices and rising house rents. Due to a sharp increase in domestic oil prices, transport costs also jumped. Core -- nonfood, non-oil -- inflation also doubled, from 3.7 per cent to 7.4 per cent . In summary, Pakistan's economy is appearing to be in a dwindling state. No wonder, General Musharraf has made an allegation against President Bush of posing the threat of bombing. We do not know the truth in this claim, but it is not difficult to imagine the message Mr. Musharraf is trying to send to the United States, "my economy is dependant on you and if you stop supporting me, I will be mad at you".

Coming back to the point of this article, can Bangladesh economy be stronger than that of Pakistan? The answer in most probability will be "yes". Bangladesh's economic progress has so far been grounded on a solid foundation rather than being a result of one-off foreign policy-driven economic boost. We have built up critical democratic institutions, achieved significant progress in human development indicators, preserved freedom of speech and maintained a well-functioning market economy. Our exports are internationally competitive in the absence of quota or protection. If we can succeed in improving the law and order, reducing corruption, stabilising political environment and building the critical physical infrastructures. It may not be that far when Bangladesh will supercede Pakistan in economic development and emerge as the second largest economy in South Asia.

http://www.financialexpress-bd.com/index3.asp?cnd=10/5/2006&section_id=5&newsid=39797&spcl=no

its possible but i dont believe its true our economy is growing as well under mushi

These all Facts and Figure to confuse every one...

Allhamdullilah we are in safe and sound position ..

And Mushi is Playing with Every one...

A Game with A Dangerous End..

But We Have To Play This Game ...

At Any Cost :disagree:

Hamareay Haan Boolteain hain naa
"Keay Roo Kar Karooo Yaa Hanss Kar Karna Too Tum Hi Ko Hai"

Brothers AsSalam oAlaikum.
It has been a folly that we have committed before. We feel that we are unbeatable when circumstances are clearly working against us. The problem that we have is that our economy is dependant on a few products exported to a few countries, who effectively leverage this facility to govern us. We have not made enough strides to diversify our production for it to matter. The problem that I foresee is that the same governments once your utility is of little use to them will clamp down, making unjustifiable demands and cause this house of cards to come down.
Somebody remarked quite wisely that post partition ,most of our trade was regional. Now look at us.We export to far away countries, and all the regional trade Numbers have gone down. Whereas we had a huge market stake in the mideast there is fiarly little now. There are various reasons for it. Our quality is at best "variable", and reliability nonexistant. you cant do business in this way. Consequently, we have steadily lost markets to India and Bangladesh.
In textiles also, people now mostly want reasonable quality at reasonable price. You can do the quality, but cant do the price, so you lose out.
talking to all Pakistanis today,(at least in business), everyone is crying foul and giving excuses about how the government is not supporting them , and the vendors are fleecing them. But their lifestyles tell a different story alltogether.I think we need to have a real reality check . The moment we come down from our high alter will be the day when people will realize where they are going wrong and amend their practices. Maybe then we can say that we are progressing, but at the moment it is a illusive dream.
WaSalam
Araz

It has been a folly that we have committed before. We feel that we are unbeatable when circumstances are clearly working against us. The problem that we have is that our economy is dependant on a few products exported to a few countries, who effectively leverage this facility to govern us. We have not made enough strides to diversify our production for it to matter. The problem that I foresee is that the same governments once your utility is of little use to them will clamp down, making unjustifiable demands and cause this house of cards to come down.
Somebody remarked quite wisely that post partition ,most of our trade was regional. Now look at us.We export to far away countries, and all the regional trade Numbers have gone down. Whereas we had a huge market stake in the mideast there is fiarly little now. There are various reasons for it. Our quality is at best "variable", and reliability nonexistant. you cant do business in this way. Consequently, we have steadily lost markets to India and Bangladesh.
In textiles also, people now mostly want reasonable quality at reasonable price. You can do the quality, but cant do the price, so you lose out.
talking to all Pakistanis today,(at least in business), everyone is crying foul and giving excuses about how the government is not supporting them , and the vendors are fleecing them. But their lifestyles tell a different story alltogether.I think we need to have a real reality check . The moment we come down from our high alter will be the day when people will realize where they are going wrong and amend their practices. Maybe then we can say that we are progressing, but at the moment it is a illusive dream.
WaSalam
Araz

very well said & also quiet logical :tup:

I have my doubts on Pakistan's economy. The Pakistani economy IMO is propped up by US aids, both economical and military. Debt servicing rescheduled for Pakistan as Pakistan is helping in 'GWoT', direct aids in billions of dollars, etc, etc. There are lots of things.

WaSalam
Araz

Excellent reply Sir! :army:

I have my doubts on Pakistan's economy. The Pakistani economy IMO is propped up by US aids, both economical and military. Debt servicing rescheduled for Pakistan as Pakistan is helping in 'GWoT', direct aids in billions of dollars, etc, etc. There are lots of things.

This is obviously gonna change. The aids are pretty much to put us in a stable position, that help will be used to create infrastructure to move on the economy, time to time aid will become bonus, like it has right now.

With all respect bro, this is exactly what I call the Indian perception of Pakistan.

US aid to Pakistan is less than $1 billion per year, its equally devided in economic and military development and I won't deny that it has helped our economy grow faster but the key to our economic success is agressive reforms and attracting FDI.

Our international debt is fully reschedulled due to our leading role in WoT and we won't have to worry about it for another two decades so we're able to raise and transfer more funds to mega development programms instead of paying remboursements to int. creditors.

Even if US aid is halved or cut to zero by next US government, we'll still be able to sustain growth of atleast 5-6%, FDI and foreign remittances will surge to $10 billion each by the end of this decade, the picture is rosy for Pakistan. :tup:

BD certainly has the potential to grow but it won't happen untill there's internal stability and further economic reforms.

Unlike India and Pakistan, BD has failed to attract significant amount of FDI and Dhaka and relies on remittances which is currently BD's second largest source of Forex.

But credit is due when it comes to BD's textile industry. Despite being a cotton importer she has managed to claim her presence in the international market dominated by giants like the US, China, India and Pakistan and often outplayed these competitors by high quality fabrics.

BD industry needs more diversity to be able to sustain growth, export is entirly made of textiles and fish. There's also the issue of environmental disasters, water problem, power shortage and overpopulation. These are serious challenges that will remain a problem for future governments.
What BD needs urgently is to build deltaworks and get control of water problem. A recent dutch study showed that atleast $18 billion is required to build dams thruout the country to solve flooding, monet that BD simply can't afford to raise from home or abroad anytime soon.

So I do believe that there's a huge potential in BD but I don't believe she'll ever be srtonger than Pakistan.

BD economy forecast to grow 6.53pc

DHAKA: Bangladesh’s statistics agency on Thursday forecast economic growth of 6.53 per cent for the year ending June and noted that per capita GDP will rise above $500 for the first time.

“The economy has (likely) grown at a rate of 6.53 per cent in the year ending in June according to our provisional estimates,” said Jobedul Haq, head of the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.

“This is the first time in our history that the per capita GDP has crossed the $500 mark.”

The statistics agency said the main driver in the economy this year was a 13 per cent gain in industrial output, mainly related to textiles, while the farm sector lagged.

The economy would have grown “a record seven per cent had not agriculture posted negative growth and the construction and retail sectors fared badly,” Haq said.

Farm output, once a mainstay of the Bangladesh economy, fell 0.87 per cent in the current year because of patchy rains, he said.

The growth estimate was half a percentage point less than the central bank’s earlier projection of seven per cent. The Bangladesh economy gained a record 6.7 per cent last year.

Experts also said building and retail output were hit by months of political turmoil in late 2006 and early 2007 that led the country’s president to declare an emergency and cancel elections scheduled for January 22.

An interim government backed by the powerful military took over and launched a crackdown on political corruption and promised electoral reforms before holding new polls.

Real estate companies said the crackdown, in which scores of high-profile politicians and business leaders were arrested, led to a sharp fall in house sales.

The impoverished South Asian nation, home to 144 million people, has been one of the world’s fastest-growing economies in recent years, expanding an average five per cent since the early 1990s.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=49781

Bangladesh to set up SEZs

DHAKA: Bangladesh plans to set up special economic zones (SEZs) across the country soon to spur economic growth in the impoverished nation, a minister said on Thursday. The SEZs would be set up to boost industrial expansion, the country’s interim minister for power and energy Tapan Chowdhury said. “In this economic zone, both foreign and local investors will enjoy equal incentives,” he said in a statement, without elaborating. Bangladesh already has eight export processing zones (EPZs) where more than 250 industries operate with a total investment of $1.08 billion. The industries employ more than 200,000 people and account for some 20 per cent of the country’s $10.5 billion annual export trade.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=49789

With all respect bro, this is exactly what I call the Indian perception of Pakistan.

US aid to Pakistan is less than $1 billion per year, its equally devided in economic and military development and I won't deny that it has helped our economy grow faster but the key to our economic success is agressive reforms and attracting FDI.
I believe it is much more mate. But let me search this, I am not sure. A lot of Pakistan''s forex comes from remittances and direct aid.

Our international debt is fully reschedulled due to our leading role in WoT and we won't have to worry about it for another two decades so we're able to raise and transfer more funds to mega development programms instead of paying remboursements to int. creditors.

Even if US aid is halved or cut to zero by next US government, we'll still be able to sustain growth of atleast 5-6%, FDI and foreign remittances will surge to $10 billion each by the end of this decade, the picture is rosy for Pakistan. :tup:

But with So much aid comming in for Pakistan and that includes debt rescedulling, it would take an exceptionally incompetent government not to have the economy up. Its not hard to prop up the economy on aids. This has also been the perennial case with Pakistan. During the time it was helping US, its economy was suddenly up, everythinn was up, then it crashed.

Dont get me wrong, i want the Pakistani economy to be good, for it is in Indian intersts to have an economically strong Pakistan. But this current trend does not really look real.

Economy hits $135bn mark

LAHORE: State Minister for Finance, Omar Ayub Khan on Friday said the total size of Pakistan’s gross domestic product (GDP) has risen to the level of $135 billion from $62 billion over a period of seven years.

“The consistent growth of national economy is just due to the efforts made by the present government to put the country on the path of high growth,” he said while inaugurating a two-day seminar on ‘Value Addition through Internal Audit’ at a local hotel.

Omar Ayub Khan said country’s economy had been growing at a rate of 7 per cent over the last several years and hoped that it would post the same growth rate this year. He said there is great potential for growth in the agriculture sector especially in the milk production. He said Swiss milk processing firm, Nestle has set up Asia’s biggest plant in Pakistan to benefit from the business opportunities.

“More and more foreign companies are planning to invest in Pakistan due to the enabling environment and a big consumer base,” he said. Auditor General of Pakistan, Muhammad Younis Khan, Conference Chairman Iftikhar A Chaudhary, US Internal Audit expert, John White and Director General Works Audit, M Jamil Bhatti were present on the occasion.

The News.
http://thenews.jang.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=49924

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom