What's new

By End 2016, Over 43% of World's Skyscrapers Are In China

I am not knocking these skyscrapers China and your Singapore have. They are impressive and you guys have a right to be proud of them. Am just saying that there are other ways of living that for basic human nature and needs, they are always more desirable. One's own home is one those desires.

That's where I disagree with you from the start right? There are different ways of living, and each have their own pros and cons and is up to an individual's preference. None of which is always more desirable than the other, like you claim so by using anecdotes, cherry picking of advantages, and hasty generalizations. If high-density living is as miserable as you say, then property prices in these places should fall and not rise, see New York and Chicago. I know many Americans and Australians move into the suburb because they can't afford the rent in the city, not because living in the suburb is inherently better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowhere have I said 'high density' living is miserable, so please do not virtually put words into my virtual mouth.

I used 'as miserable', not 'miserable'. There's a difference. It's used as a comparison to living in a house which you claimed.

Look, you keep on using your personal anecdotes to prove your point. I also know of Americans, Australians and even Europeans who prefer the city lifestyle and the convenience in Singapore and other Asian cities such as Tokyo and HK provides. Yes, Hong Kong the uber high density city where property prices is ridiculous. But do I take my anecdotes as absolute and therefore come to the conclusion that high density living is always more desirable than low density living? No, because I'm sane enough to know that these are selective cases and isn't representative of the whole population. Logic also tells me that it all boils down to one's preferences of lifestyle.

CC Land buys City of London's tallest skyscraper for $1.46b
By WU YIYAO in Shanghai | China Daily | Updated: 2017-05-03 07:52

d8cb8a14fbeb1a735b891a.jpg

A pedestrian walks past the Leadenhall Building in the City of London financial district, the United Kingdom. BLOOMBERG VIA GETTY IMAGES

A Chinese realty firm said it has paid 1.135 billion pounds ($1.462 billion) to buy the tallest skyscraper in City of London-the biggest Chinese investment in the United Kingdom's real estate market. Hong Kong-listed CC Land Holdings Ltd, controlled by property magnate Cheung Chung-kiu, one of the biggest real estate players in Chongqing, said in an announcement on Monday that one of its subsidiaries bought 122 Leadenhall Street, known widely as the Cheesegrater for its distinctive wedge shape. The 225-meter-high building was owned jointly by British Land and Canada's Oxford Properties. The combined space of the 46-floor Cheesegrater is about 56,600 square meters. The skyscraper's projected annual rental income, fully let, will be about 40.2 million pounds.

This is not the only CC Land acquisition in overseas markets in recent years. In 2016 the group acquired One Kingdom Street, a 12-floor, 50-meter-high building in London for 290 million pounds. It also bought a 34.55 percent share of an office building in Australia for HK$122 million ($15.68 million).

According to research by property services provider JLL, in the past three years investments in land, office buildings and hotels accounted for 90 percent of the Chinese mainland's total outbound realty investment. JLL said London was one of the top investment targets in the period, attracting about 16 percent of overall Chinese mainland outbound property investment, running second only to New York, which took 18 percent of the total spend. "Acquiring quality property in a bid to generate a long-term income stream has become a mainstream model for Chinese outbound property investment," a CITIC Securities Co research note said.

d8cb8a14fbeb1a7381cb2d.jpg

Read the full article at http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2017-05/03/content_29177001.htm

Untitled.png

large_9NFS8tqxpcCcsURaukU7JZffcdXLNGHIAEOnXVBIK7A.jpg

04 May 2017 Rosamond Hutt Formative Content

They could be the breath of fresh air that pollution-choked cities desperately need. Vertical forests – high-rise buildings covered with trees and plants – absorb carbon dioxide, filter dust from pollution and produce oxygen. They’re also an ingenious way of planting more trees and creating habitats for wildlife in cities that are squeezed for space.

China, a nation experiencing rocketing urban growth and an air pollution crisis, is set to get its first vertical forest. The project in the eastern city of Nanjing is the brainchild of the Italian architect Stefano Boeri and his team, who built Milan’s Bosco Verticale (vertical forest), consisting of two residential high-rises at 110 and 76 meters with around 900 trees and over 20,000 smaller plants and shrubs.

The Nanjing vertical forest will be higher than its Milanese predecessor, with two neighbouring towers at 200 and 108 meters tall. Scheduled for completion in 2018, the complex will house a 247-room luxury hotel, offices, shops, restaurants, a food market, conference and exhibition spaces, a museum, a rooftop club and even a green architecture school.

Read the full article at https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/05/china-is-about-to-get-its-first-vertical-forest

Skyscrapers are results of ultra-high-density urban planning, which has to be supported by advanced infrastructures. Advanced rail transport is one of the critical infra, see The Evolution of Metros in China, 1990 - 2020

Metro lines in China (along with Taiwan and Hong Kong) are being built at an incredible rate. Before 1990, they could be found in just 3 cities - Beijing, first opening in 1969; Hong Kong in 1979, and Tianjin in 1984. Growth was modest for many years, but has become exponentially more rapid over time and now dwarfs the rest of the world's progress. In just the thirty years from 1990 to 2020, the number of cities with a metro system will grow from those original 3 to over 40, with more to come soon after.

china1.gif

In this time, Beijing and Shanghai in particular have ballooned from nearly nothing into the world's two largest, in both length and annual ridership. The timeline of their expansion alone is mesmerizing.

beijingshanghai.gif

http://pdovak.com/chinese-metro-evolution/
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chinese-metro-transport-news-updates.412018/page-21

Amazing isnt it, the pace and scale of chinese construction.

High density urban planning has to be supported by advanced transportation, see The Evolution of Metros in China, 1990 - 2020

Metro lines in China (along with Taiwan and Hong Kong) are being built at an incredible rate. Before 1990, they could be found in just 3 cities - Beijing, first opening in 1969; Hong Kong in 1979, and Tianjin in 1984. Growth was modest for many years, but has become exponentially more rapid over time and now dwarfs the rest of the world's progress. In just the thirty years from 1990 to 2020, the number of cities with a metro system will grow from those original 3 to over 40 - with more to come soon after.

View attachment 400268

In this time, Beijing and Shanghai in particular have ballooned from nearly nothing into the world's two largest, in both length and annual ridership. The timeline of their expansion alone is mesmerizing.

View attachment 400269

http://pdovak.com/chinese-metro-evolution/
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chinese-metro-transport-news-updates.412018/page-21
Progress in Coastal China is amazing.
The rest of China won't drag behind.
Provincial capitals in Central China will have subways combined longer than 500km at the end of 2017.
Wuhan City alone will inaugurate 2 subways late this year.
In 2020, 6 provincial capitals in Central China will have 1500-2000km long subways.
In additional, Central China will have nearly 10000km high-speed railway by 2020.

Wuhan Metro in 2020

武汉地铁2020规划(非清晰版).png
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 18.53.15.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 18.54.49.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 18.54.19.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 18.55.23.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 19.35.36.jpg

Last edited:
Progress in Coastal China is amazing.
The rest of China won't drag behind.
Provincial capitals in Central China will have subways combined longer than 500km at the end of 2017.
Wuhan City alone will inaugurate 2 subways late this year.
In 2020, 6 provincial capitals in Central China will have 1500-2000km long subways.
In additional, Central China will have nearly 10000km high-speed railway by 2020.
Wuhan Greenland Center (636 m) in your city's CBD is expected to be done next year (2018). Once completed, it's gonna overtake Shanghai Tower (632 m), Makkah Royal Clock, Ping An Financial Center (599 m), Guangzhou CTF (530 m), Taipei 101, Shanghai SWFC (where I work), Hong Kong ICC and others, second only to Burj Khalifa.

height-to-architectural-top_en_-c-ctbuh-jpg.387334

Here's some more images.....

For 2016, 84 in china with a total height of 20,081 meters. next rank is USA with 7 for a total of 1,650 meters. I think the use of the "break line" in this graph is both appropriate and hilarious!

CTBUH_2016Completions_Country_City.jpg

Top 20 Tallest for 2016
CTBUH_Tallest20_2016.jpg

Global % Share.. 84/128 = 65% of all skyscrapers are built in china for 2016.

CTBUH_2016Completions_Region.jpg

source

http://www.archdaily.com/803341/the-results-are-in-2016-is-a-record-breaking-year-for-tall-buildings

Europe and US need not build sky scrappers as land is not so scarred in these countries. We have a land scarcity so we need to go vertical.

I said they need not. This means that to build skyscraper is not their compulsion and if they build they will build out of their will. In a city like Bombay, Land is too much costly so you have to build high rise in order to apportion the cost of cost of land. In my city , few years ago,nobody wanted to live in flat but now flats have become compulsory because the land is too costly. Earlier, 3 storied buildings were build which followed by 5 stories. Subsequently permission was given upto 13 floor which is now been increased to 22 floors. Al this is happening because of too costly land.

打脸!

Wuhan Greenland Center (636 m) in your city's CBD is expected to be done next year (2018). Once completed, it's gonna overtake Shanghai Tower (632 m), Makkah Royal Clock, Ping An Financial Center (599 m), Guangzhou CTF (530 m), Taipei 101, Shanghai SWFC (where I work), Hong Kong ICC and others, second only to Burj Khalifa.

height-to-architectural-top_en_-c-ctbuh-jpg.387334
The landscape along Yangtze River will be completley different.
High buildings used to concentrate in Hankou, north of the river.
Now high buildings emerge on the southern bank of the river.

Southern Bank vs Northern Bank
14936982.jpg

Wuhan south to Yangtze River
Used to have no 200+high-rise at all.
14936561.jpg

North to Yangtze River
Wuhan's traditional commercial hub
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 18.53.39.png

build skyscraper is not their compulsion and if they build they will build out of their will
Skyscrapers are costly to build, so if there's no need, no compulsion, what kind of will is making them build many in New York and Chicago, but not everywhere else?

Skyscrapers are costly to build, so if there's no need, no compulsion, what kind of will is making them build many in New York and Chicago, but not everywhere else?

No skyscrapers are not costly to build if you look at skyrocketing land price in city like Bombay. That is why now a days high and high buildings are build though people prefers to live (In India) on either houses or in low rise. In city like Bombay, floor rise price is Rs 100 per Sq ft which is not very high.

Back
Top Bottom