What's new

By End 2016, Over 43% of World's Skyscrapers Are In China

People instinctively separate themselves from each other in the park? What are you talking about? People obviously separate themselves if they don't know each other. What do you expect? Strangers forming up a circle together?
New Yorkers have to go outside to have a sense of privacy because apartments does not give privacy? People visit parks to have a sense of privacy? Where did you get that from? I find your claim getting more and more unfounded.
From living in both cities and suburb.

Nowhere did I said an apartment do not give you a sense of privacy. What I said was a different kind that one would get with a standalone house. A prisoner in solitary confinement definitely have privacy from his neighbors, no ? Maybe that was an extreme, but it illustrated the point. When you live in a house, even though you know there is another house to your right, one to your left, and one behind you, that empty space between everyone gives a more psychologically assured sense of privacy.

When I had to travel for business, I do not have that sense of privacy in a hotel room, no matter how much I paid to have a good suite instead of a room. When you pay rent, it is difficult to call your apartment a 'home', and you use the word 'home' in the most casual context. But for a house and even if that house have a mortgage, a sense of ownership is inevitable and you look at that abode in a different manner, like a captain of a ship calling that ship 'mine' even though he knows the government is the real owner of that ship. Home ownership gives a sense of freedom and responsibility that no apartment under renting can give.

That is why over the yrs, I came to regards the apartment as a prison cell, regardless of its luxury level and how many people wants it.

From living in both cities and suburb.

Nowhere did I said an apartment do not give you a sense of privacy. What I said was a different kind that one would get with a standalone house. A prisoner in solitary confinement definitely have privacy from his neighbors, no ? Maybe that was an extreme, but it illustrated the point. When you live in a house, even though you know there is another house to your right, one to your left, and one behind you, that empty space between everyone gives a more psychologically assured sense of privacy.

When I had to travel for business, I do not have that sense of privacy in a hotel room, no matter how much I paid to have a good suite instead of a room. When you pay rent, it is difficult to call your apartment a 'home', and you use the word 'home' in the most casual context. But for a house and even if that house have a mortgage, a sense of ownership is inevitable and you look at that abode in a different manner, like a captain of a ship calling that ship 'mine' even though he knows the government is the real owner of that ship. Home ownership gives a sense of freedom and responsibility that no apartment under renting can give.

That is why over the yrs, I came to regards the apartment as a prison cell, regardless of its luxury level and how many people wants it.

That is all your own opinion isn't it? That psychological barrier you cannot overcome. I still don't get that living in an apartment has no real sense of privacy, and because of it New Yorkers have to go to the Central Park to get privacy. That makes no sense whatsoever.

You can only rent an apartment but not own it?

That is all your own opinion isn't it? That psychological barrier you cannot overcome. I still don't get that living in an apartment has no real sense of privacy, and because of it New Yorkers have to go to the Central Park to get privacy. That makes no sense whatsoever.
It is about taking a break from living so close to each other in a building.

Those people who are wealthy enough to buy those expensive luxury apartments in New York, London, Paris, Shanghai, or Singapore ? They also have enough money to really really get away from living so close to other people...

POJr2x4.jpg

If I have that kind of money to get that kind of privacy, I walk around my island bare-assed nekkid all the time.

Sure you can, but the majority of the time, it is renting. Apartment living is disposable living.

I think he is talking about getting way from 热闹. In an apartment you still have people walking hallways and possibly hearing sounds from your neighbors. You may have to find a secluded spot in Central Park to get away. In the suburbs you have your quiet "little island".

Shenzhen Property Developer Kingkey Plans China's Tallest Building
Jillian Yue April 17, 2017 — 17:09 HKT

Kingkey-100.jpg

Kingkey 100 Tower, built in 2011

Shenzhen-based Kingkey Group, a privately held Chinese property developer, is planning to build a 760-meter-high skyscraper that would be 128 meters taller than Shanghai Tower, currently China's tallest building. When completed, it would also be the world's second tallest building after Dubai's Burj Khalifa Tower.

It's still uncertain if the plan can obtain approval from regulators and various government agencies, including Shenzhen's airport, which could ask the developer to lower the structure to ensure flight safety. Beijing has also asked provinces and cities to rein in the race to build skyscrapers across the country.

Already, two projects are expected to be completed this year topping the 632 meter-high Shanghai Tower and claiming the title of China's tallest building. The Ping An International Finance Center in Shenzhen will stand as high as 660 meters when built, while Wuhan's Greenland Center revised design mid-way during construction to add another 30 meters to reach 636 meters in height when finished.

Of the world's 139 buildings that reach a height of 300 meters and more, China has 64 buildings on the list or a 46% share of the total. United Arab Emirates has 26 buildings or a 19% share, while the U.S. accounts for 19 or a 14% share of the total.

Economists have found that the completion of a region's tallest building tend to coincide with the peak of an economic cycle, and is often followed by a period of economic downturn. But in China, the race to build the tallest skyscraper has continued for decades, and shows no signs of slowing down.

The proposed Kingkey Jingdu Hotel in Shenzhen will comprise three towers, including a 169-floor office block, a 130-floor building for offices and apartments, and a 45-floor office building, according to a plan published by Shenzhen’s Luohu district.

Founded in 1994, Kingkey is controlled by founder Chen Hua, an entrepreneur from Zhanjiang city in Guangdong province, and his brother Chen Hui. The Chen brothers built Kingkey 100 Tower in 2011, Shenzhen's tallest building back then. The brothers held the title as the owner of Shenzhen's tallest building for only five years, after Ping An Finance Center was completed last year.

Chen Hua, who reportedly held strong desires to build and own the tallest buildings – in Shenzhen or in China, told visitors that he believes that the plan will get government's blessing, according to Chinese media reports. The skyscraper is tentatively named as The Gate To China.

https://www.chinamoneynetwork.com/2...veloper-kingkey-plans-chinas-tallest-building

Tetris-Inspired Pod Skyscraper in Tokyo Actually 3D-Prints Homes on Demand
04/16/2017

The Tetris-inspired "Pod Skyscraper" is not your typical building, as residents can order a ready-to-use modular home created by 3D printers located on the top floor. Once ordered, a crane directly lowers it into place. To ensure that the homes remain organized, an automated system calculates the exact position for each pod, while problem pods are dismantled immediately. Buyers can also choose to combine several pods into one, creating a penthouse suite of sorts. Businesses can also purchase the pods to use as small offices and / or commercial spaces.

pod-skyscraper.jpg

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/...r-in-tokyo-actually-3d-prints-homes-on-demand

It is about taking a break from living so close to each other in a building.

Sure you can, but the majority of the time, it is renting. Apartment living is disposable living.

Sorry, but I really don't get why you would need to feel to take a break from living in an apartment.

That's in America where most apartments are on rent. We are are comparing living in an apartment in an urban area versus living in a house in the suburbs, so I see no point comparing whether you rent or own the property.

I think he is talking about getting way from 热闹. In an apartment you still have people walking hallways and possibly hearing sounds from your neighbors. You may have to find a secluded spot in Central Park to get away. In the suburbs you have your quiet "little island".

That depends on the design of the building and your district. I really doubt people go to the Central Park to seek privacy. Like really? It's a popular park where even tourists will visit. People visit there for nature and recreation. It's like saying Beijingers visit the Forbidden City to get some privacy.

Tetris-Inspired Pod Skyscraper in Tokyo Actually 3D-Prints Homes on Demand
04/16/2017

The Tetris-inspired "Pod Skyscraper" is not your typical building, as residents can order a ready-to-use modular home created by 3D printers located on the top floor. Once ordered, a crane directly lowers it into place. To ensure that the homes remain organized, an automated system calculates the exact position for each pod, while problem pods are dismantled immediately. Buyers can also choose to combine several pods into one, creating a penthouse suite of sorts. Businesses can also purchase the pods to use as small offices and / or commercial spaces.

View attachment 391363

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/...r-in-tokyo-actually-3d-prints-homes-on-demand

Thanks for sharing. It's a interesting concept.

I really doubt people go to the Central Park to seek privacy. Like really? It's a popular park where even tourists will visit. People visit there for nature and recreation. It's like saying Beijingers visit the Forbidden City to get some privacy

http://www.centralpark.com/guide/general-info/quiet-zones-in-central-park.html

"Central Park has designated eight areas as "quiet zones" in the park, meaning there's no music allowed, and if you have a radio, you need headphones for it. In addition, dogs must always be leashed and on the pathway in quiet zones. You can't run, rollerblade, ride your bike, or participate in any organized sports (think touch football), and you can't feed birds or other wildlife.

What you can do is curl up with a good book, listen to a book on tape, or just sit and contemplate."

----------------------------------------------------------------
In the suburbs you simply sit in your backyard and relax by the pool with just the chirping birds...not chirping people.
girl-reading-book-summer-heat-swimming-pool-31068188.jpg

(BTW there is one private swimming pool for every 30 people in the US 8-))

Last edited:
http://www.centralpark.com/guide/general-info/quiet-zones-in-central-park.html

"Central Park has designated eight areas as "quiet zones" in the park, meaning there's no music allowed, and if you have a radio, you need headphones for it. In addition, dogs must always be leashed and on the pathway in quiet zones. You can't run, rollerblade, ride your bike, or participate in any organized sports (think touch football), and you can't feed birds or other wildlife.

That's seeking serenity, not privacy.
Privacy; the quality or state of being apart from company or observation.
It is the ability to do anything you want without interference or getting judge. What's privacy if you can't even play your own music? How much privacy can a public park provide?

So how is Modi's India counter this Chinese feat?

Sorry, but I really don't get why you would need to feel to take a break from living in an apartment.
It is not about the apartment and that is what I have been trying to explain to you. It is about getting away from people in general. If all you know is city life, you will never understand what it is like living in the suburbs, in your own house, on your own property. I grew up in Honolulu, Hawaii. Look it up and see how 'touristy' Honolulu really is. So it is not as if I am talking from ignorance about living in the city.

nVxGyTG.jpg

That is a shooting day where we went into the hills in public land, set up targets, and shoot our pistols and rifles. We can put our targets as far out as 1000 meters, the distance that military snipers trains. The guy on the right is a co-worker on a work visa from India. The gal on the left is a visiting Chinese Intel engineer. We were not shooting air pistols and rifles but the real kind that can kill. You cannot have this level of freedom in the city where you are used to.

If you cannot relate to this, you will not be able to relate to what I am saying until you actually own your own house.

It is not about the apartment and that is what I have been trying to explain to you. It is about getting away from people in general. If all you know is city life, you will never understand what it is like living in the suburbs, in your own house, on your own property. I grew up in Honolulu, Hawaii. Look it up and see how 'touristy' Honolulu really is. So it is not as if I am talking from ignorance about living in the city.

That is a shooting day where we went into the hills in public land, set up targets, and shoot our pistols and rifles. We can put our targets as far out as 1000 meters, the distance that military snipers trains. The guy on the right is a co-worker on an work visa from India. The gal on the left is a visiting Chinese Intel engineer. We were not shooting air pistols and rifles but the real kind that can kill. You cannot have this level of freedom in the city where you are used to.

If you cannot relate to this, you will not be able to relate to what I am saying until you actually own your own house.

Why can't one live in a city and visit a rural area whenever one wants to, to shoot or get away from people or whatever?

You are making lesser sense every post. We are comparing about high-density living vs low-density living in everyday life, and now you're talking about your own personal experience about being able to shoot a gun because you own a house? LOL. Do you even shoot near your house, is that relevant?

I have to own a house to relate, like if I haven't, does anyone need to own a house on jupiter to discuss about that planet? Big deal bro. I'm currently in the military and I have experienced throwing grenades and shooting rifles, why drag privacy into discussion?

Why can't you live in a city and visit a rural area whenever you want to, to shoot or get away from people or whatever?

You are making lesser sense every post. We are comparing about high-density living vs low-density living in everyday life, and now you're bragging your own experience about being able to shoot a gun because you own a house? LOL. Do you even shoot near your house?
I am telling you -- as an American -- that I have freedoms that you cannot relate to. It is an extreme, I will say that, but it illustrate the point well for what I have been saying all this time.

When I go home, I do not have to take an elevator or even a flight of stairs to get my place of comfort and refuge. I hit the clicker while in my car or on my motorcycle, the garage door opens, and I drove right in. In the neighborhood, I can smell grass and other nature made scents instead of nothing but gasoline and heated concrete. I made less sense to you because I live in a way that you do not know and probably will never know.

I am not knocking these skyscrapers China and your Singapore have. They are impressive and you guys have a right to be proud of them. Am just saying that there are other ways of living that for basic human nature and needs, they are always more desirable. One's own home is one those desires.

So how is Modi's India counter this Chinese feat?
It's a direct result of urbanization and 3D urban planning, not exactly a feat by government. Look at the real estate market, skyscrapers are primarily for commercial use, to a lesser extent residential, and definitely not industrial. Cities with huge amount of commercial or financial activities create a large market demand for office space, and which have to be highly concentrated in specific districts (CBD) for maximum P2P communications efficiency, so on the supply side the answer is more and more skyscrapers. See the list of cities with most skyscrapers (200m+) below, they are financial centers, regional or international, see Panama City (#15 in the list). In India, financial center like Mumbai is growing, it is likely to face increasing demand for commercial purpose skyscrapers in coming years. When there is demand, supply will follow.

Untitled.png

Back
Top Bottom