What's new

Busting the myth of "British Railway Gift" and other gifts to India

Technically speaking, it is correct to say the British did not gift those railways mentioned in the article. In fact, all the railways in India were not gifted. They were owned 100 percent by the Indian people because of the amount of treasures the British took from the India by force, by tricks, by lies.

But the fact reminds it was the British who introduced the railways to India. They designed, built, fabricated, managed, maintained the system.

So in broad term, it is correct to say the British gifted India the railways.

With the only aim of extracting wealth from subcontinent

and when they left, IR starved for investment and was using outdated tech.

It was Post Independence governments and visionary Indian men, who made IR profitable and force it is today

^^leave the thing whether India was country before British aside for moment.

Now tell me do you agree with OP? do you agree that they squeezed the India?

By the logic you used, CCP owes huge debt to british, as they developed Hongkong, turned it into a hub and China got the city in 1997, it was benefited hugely.

How do you see Treaty of Nanking the events which followed?(no offense to Chinese members)

If what British did with China was wrong, then what they did with India was equally wrong

^^leave the thing whether India was country before British aside for moment.

Now tell me do you agree with OP? do you agree that they squeezed the India?

By the logic you used, CCP owes huge debt to british, as they developed Hongkong, turned it into a hub and China got the city in 1997, it was benefited hugely.

How do you see Treaty of Nanking the events which followed?(no offense to Chinese members)

If what British did with China was wrong, then what they did with India was equally wrong

The big difference is we don't worship the Brits or other white people (vast majority of Chinese hate their guts). Indians do.

The big difference is we don't worship the Brits or other white people (vast majority of Chinese hate their guts). Indians do.

Most Indians hate british occupation

and even if some Indians admire british rule (a very tiny segment), it doesn't change the fact that British squeezed India.

I wasn't offending China. What I was saying is If the Treaty of Nanking was unjust and the events which followed, then by same logic what British did with India was equally wrong

Which response to the points you raised in this post

Without Britain, there is no such thing as 'India'. They have you a country, and all the systems you have.

Please don't lower the quality of this forum by pulling such weird claims from your nether end. What does that even mean by ''worship white man'', are you referring to the craze in chinese girls to get a white husband???

Please don't lower the quality of this forum by pulling such weird claims from your nether end. What does that even mean by ''worship white man'', are you referring to the craze in chinese girls to get a white husband???

Are you sure ?

Recently some Chinese posted a lot of photos showing the Chinese women are crazy for Black Husbands rather-- remember "India's top secrets are in Guangdong"-- now Oscar deleted the post and gave me infraction for replying the poster but I have the pictures :lol:

Its true that Britisi started several stuff in India which helped us out later like the postal service,railways,HAL etc. Had they not did it,we would have to face a tough time kick starting them.
But there's no need to thank them for it.

I have to agree with the article to some extent. I don't think that anything in India left by the British can be called "gift", as the intent was never to give the Indian people something, but rather to take things from the Indian people by building these tools. If they could find a profitable way to dismantle the tracks and ship them to somewhere else, they would have done it.

That being said, it is a sad fact that for the past few decades the Indian government failed to significantly develop the railway system left by the British. It was a great asset, but the Indian government did not invest much in it, instead just kept milking the old system to its somewhat run-down status. Had the Indian government showed any capability of independent development, no one would have thought of this "gift" theory.

What weed r u smoking man...:lol:

Indian Railways is self relient from the manufacture of Coaches to various types of Engines.

Do u even know It is one of the world's largest railway networks comprising 115,000 km (71,000 mi) of track over a
route of 65,000 km (40,000 mi) and 7,500 stations.

As of December 2012, it transported over 25 million passengers daily (over 9 billion on an annual basis). In 2011, IR carried over 8,900 million passengers annually or more than 24 million passengers daily (roughly half of which were suburban passengers) and 2.8 million tons of freight daily.

Go visit this thread :

https://defence.pk/forums/general-images-multimedia/34603-indian-railways.html

Had the British built all this in those days they would have been Sh!ting in their pant...:lol:

LOLZZZZZZZZzzzzzz........ I mean the indian or pakistan still stand on the foundation established by British Empire and yet these pathetic attempts to satisfy petty egos !!

whatever I was 'smoking', it is definitely not false pride.

I didn't say Indian railway system had not developed, I am only saying that the development was not significant, and the authorities asked far more from it than investing in it. The statistics may look impressive on paper, but what about the quality and real development? If you can't think of one example, I suggest you compare the punctuality of trains in different countries.

Regarding railways, the Indian government had a great head start that was enviable to many. It may be unfair if we use Japan or France as benchmarks, but let's consider China. China had 27,000 km of rail in 1949 compared to 55,000 km of rail in India in 1947, but 50 years later, China has more rails; in 2012 it is even 98,000km vs. 65,000 km (and China has more electrified rails too). The Chinese went through 6 rounds of "speed up" campaigns from 1997 to 2007, lifting top operation speed to 250km/h on most major rails, and they built the world's longest HSR network (more than the rest combined) in four years and still the network is expanding as we speak. About half of the 27,000 km of rail in China in 1949 were built by the Japanese in Manchuria, but I don't recall anyone saying that these rails were a gift from Japan. If you want to see some other examples on a smaller scale, you could always check out South Korea.

From your comment I can see that you are contented with the vertical comparison of historical Indian railway data, but whether you realize it or not, the world is moving at a much faster pace.

What weed r u smoking man...:lol:

Indian Railways is self relient from the manufacture of Coaches to various types of Engines.

Do u even know It is one of the world's largest railway networks comprising 115,000 km (71,000 mi) of track over a
route of 65,000 km (40,000 mi) and 7,500 stations.

As of December 2012, it transported over 25 million passengers daily (over 9 billion on an annual basis). In 2011, IR carried over 8,900 million passengers annually or more than 24 million passengers daily (roughly half of which were suburban passengers) and 2.8 million tons of freight daily.

Go visit this thread :

Indian Railways

Had the British built all this in those days they would have been Sh!ting in their pant...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom