What's new

Burma and North East India theater

Can you give us one reliable source which defines Base year as describe by you?

I know you must be one Amartya Sen of economics, but still don't consider you as reliable enough.

Then you are a bone headed retard to start with...

You are reading too much from internet. and quoting from Economics: Nominal GDP, Real GDP, and Price Level this website which confused the hell out of you.

This definition is used to show inflation and price index and nothing to do with GDP base year. Here the base year is Inflation base year. Which is a complete different subject to start with.

GDP size is a different thing.. You need further reading.

iadjani, you are seriously annoying me now. Please, go think about the subject or go ask someone. Don't take my word for it.

Can you give us one reliable source which defines Base year as describe by you?

I know you must be one Amartya Sen of economics, but still don't consider you as reliable enough.

When we define base year which means

1) Base year for inflation - for instance we select basket of commodity price of 1994-95 and then calculate the inflation/deflation based on that price. If we achieve a GDP of 100 billion dollar in the year 2010 and a inflation of 10% then you need to deduct that inflation amount to find the real GDP only to calculate the GDP growth rate. The inflation record just stop here after the calculation of GDP growth rate and the nominal GDP number stays as it is and will be reflected as the total GDP of the country. The reason Real GDP is calculated only to better understand the actual activities of the economy, nothing else.

2) Base year for GDP - This is nothing but to show the total economic sector of the country for that year. Nothing else. Subsequent calculation will be based on the sectors and the GDP calculation will be counted from these sectors.

We were talking about the 2nd definition not the first one. You guys messed it up with the first one.

No offence intended
But From what i saw NE Indians Don't Like Bangladeshi refugees. they create problems here, unhygienic living, spitting/excreting on roadsides, :hitwall: Committing crimes, etc etc. GOI should do something to fix this prob :angry:

Just sharing my views

When we define base year which means

1) Base year for inflation - for instance we select basket of commodity price of 1994-95 and then calculate the inflation/deflation based on that price. If we achieve a GDP of 100 billion dollar in the year 2010 and a inflation of 10% then you need to deduct that inflation amount to find the real GDP only to calculate the GDP growth rate. The inflation record just stop here after the calculation of GDP growth rate and the nominal GDP number stays as it is and will be reflected as the total GDP of the country. The reason Real GDP is calculated only to better understand the actual activities of the economy, nothing else.

2) Base year for GDP - This is nothing but to show the total economic sector of the country for that year. Nothing else. Subsequent calculation will be based on the sectors and the GDP calculation will be counted from these sectors.

The part I highlighted makes no sense whatsoever. When country X says it is going to use year Y as a base year, it does not mean subsequent GDP, nominal or real or PPP adjusted, will be based on just the sectors that existed in the base year. THAT'S NOT WHAT BASE YEAR MEANS. When they say adjusting the base year to reflect the economy better, they mean using the prices of things that are relevant in the base year. For example, sewing machines might be one of the price components in 1995 but not in 2005. But say microchips prices will be included 2005 base year but wasn't in 1995. That doesn't mean that the number of microchips produced is not counted in current GDP. What it does mean is that if you're adjusting to the base year and the base year is 1995, then it will be unfair to offset the price of microchips produced with the inflation of things that are not microchips e.g. sewing machines. What you and others are talking about is that BD purposefully under reports certain industries when making its calculations. That may well be as no country can go out and count EVERY SINGLE ECONOMIC TRANSACTION made in a country. But that is unrelated to the 1995 base rate. Let me say that again: THAT IS UNRELATED TO THE 1995 BASE RATE.

No offence intended
But From what i saw NE Indians Don't Like Bangladeshi refugees. they create problems here, unhygienic living, spitting/excreting on roadsides, :hitwall: Committing crimes, etc etc. GOI should do something to fix this prob :angry:

Just sharing my views

Well copy and pasting same post in every thread... what are you up to?

Myanmar is a great country with great potential.. But we dont see any reason for us to compare ourselves with Myanmar yet.

Either you troll or you participate. Dont stay in between like a girl.

Lol wtf? Isn't this whole argument about rebasing and gdp exactly that? You lots are comparing with Myanmar.

Even today Myanmar is ahead of Bangladesh and it will be in the future, rebasing isn't going to be much of a help, since Myanmar economy is due for a rebasing as well.

The part I highlighted makes no sense whatsoever. When country X says it is going to use year Y as a base year, it does not mean subsequent GDP, nominal or real or PPP adjusted, will be based on just the sectors that existed in the base year. THAT'S NOT WHAT BASE YEAR MEANS. When they say adjusting the base year to reflect the economy better, they mean using the prices of things that are relevant in the base year. For example, sewing machines might be one of the price components in 1995 but not in 2005. But say microchips prices will be included 2005 base year but wasn't in 1995. That doesn't mean that the number of microchips produced is not counted in current GDP. What it does mean is that if you're adjusting to the base year and the base year is 1995, then it will be unfair to offset the price of microchips produced with the inflation of things that are not microchips e.g. sewing machines. What you and others are talking about is that BD purposefully under reports certain industries when making its calculations. That may well be as no country can go out and count EVERY SINGLE ECONOMIC TRANSACTION made in a country. But that is unrelated to the 1995 base rate. Let me say that again: THAT IS UNRELATED TO THE 1995 BASE RATE.

Your whole point is covered in the Consumer Price Index base year in point 1.

Point 2 do take into consideration of point 1 as well. Point 2 covers the goods and services produced in a country then they take the values of the goods and services from point 1 if available in point 1.

BD does not purposefully under report anything. The only thing purposefully done was PPP factoring as far I can guess. PPP factoring was same for BD/PK/IND till 2005 when a big fuzz came out to upgrade ourselves from LDC. But they drastically slashed PPP factoring to show GDP/capita in PPP term. Nominal GDP stays as is.

Lol wtf? Isn't this whole argument about rebasing and gdp exactly that? You lots are comparing with Myanmar.

Even today Myanmar is ahead of Bangladesh and it will be in the future, rebasing isn't going to be much of a help, since Myanmar economy is due for a rebasing as well.

Myanmar still far better than India....

Lol it doesn't make any sense at all. Unless you are coming up with valid source to back up your claim, then I'd assume you are deliberately obfuscating to wiggle out from a tight spot and deserve no further reply.

Your whole point is covered in the Consumer Price Index base year in point 1.

Point 2 do take into consideration of point 1 as well. Point 2 covers the goods and services produced in a country then they take the values of the goods and services from point 1 if available in point 1.

BD does not purposefully under report anything. The only thing purposefully done was PPP factoring as far I can guess. PPP factoring was same for BD/PK/IND till 2005 when a big fuzz came out to upgrade ourselves from LDC. But they drastically slashed PPP factoring to show GDP/capita in PPP term. Nominal GDP stays as is.

Myanmar still far better than India....

Christ. I am not talking about CPI. When a country uses a GDP base year, it chooses a representative basket of things it produces and consumes as the price level. This is not the same as CPI. What all of you were shouting about regarding the 1995 base is that the things BD produced then are not the same as what it is producing now so it should change its GDP base to the price level of 2005 things. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT IS COUNTED IN GDP. If Bangladesh made a fusion reactor in 2011, it would not be overlooked in GDP calculations just because there was no fusion reactor in 1995. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? That's why going back to the IMF figures, nominal GDP HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 1995 BASE YEAR.

In reality, statisticians measure GDP by using a bunch of representative industries rather than trying to count every single transaction made (which is impossible). I think this is what you're confused about and what you think GDP base year means. THIS IS NOT WHAT BASE YEAR MEANS. Do you understand now?

Lol it doesn't make any sense at all. Unless you are coming up with valid source to back up your claim, then I'd assume you are deliberately obfuscating to wiggle out from a tight spot and deserve no further reply.

Bingo. Right, I don't think I want to see the letters D, G and P next to each other for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom