truthfollower

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BRT Peshawar Reports a Loss of Rs. 1.88 Billion in FY 2020
Posted 21 hours ago by Muhammad Anees
BRT.jpg

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Peshawar has reported a loss of Rs. 1.88 billion for FY 2020.

It had borne expenses worth Rs. 1.92 billion in 10 months of the last fiscal year, and had generated only Rs. 39.9 million from passengers as fare in return.

The expenses for FY 2021 are estimated to be around Rs. 2.96 billion, and the estimated revenue from the fare is Rs. 121.64 million.
The service has incurred a loss of Rs. 4.67 billion over the last two years. If the situation continues, the loss for the current fiscal year is estimated at around Rs. 2.79 billion, according to a report by Geo News.

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Minister for Transport, Shah Muhammad Wazir, has attributed the loss to low fares, and said, “On the instructions of the Prime Minister Imran Khan, we have kept the fares low as increasing the fares will burden the public”.

Subsiding mass transit is a wise investment, unlike the billions of dollars dolled out to PIA, PSM & Pakistan Railways each year.

Reporting a loss is okay, but it should be a comparable loss to other public transit networks ie. comparable to Lahore and Pindi metro. Just going off the headline, the loss is not really larger, especially given Covid.

Anyway, public transport the world over generally runs at a loss. It is MEANT to run a loss. It’s a public service, not a private business. So while care should be taken to scrutinise losses and build efficiency, it’s not surprising that subsidies are required.

People used to attack Lahore and other metros with these comments too. I said the same thing back then:

I disagree. People always say this about major infrastructure projects and in particular about public transit and rail. It is expensive yes, but the economic benefits associated with it are equally huge and very hard to quantify.

Here in London, the UK government has been heavily criticized for cost overrunning and major delays to Crossrail, which is a modern railway line that runs from west of London in Reading all the way through major urban areas of London to the East. It has cost the tax payer GBP20bn (that's a whopping PKR4.15tn in today's terms, or more than half of Pakistan's federal annual budget). The cost increases and delays are far far greater than anything we've seen in Pakistan with metrobus projects or orange line. However, the need is so dire that there is no choice but to expand the rail network and improve transit times from the suburbs and outside London to the city. The city has become unlivable, and the government judges that crossrail despite running large operating deficits, will generate FAR more income in the city some GBP42bn it was estimated a while back.

Public transport networks most places in the world are run on subsidies, they are not there to make operating surplus or generate profit. They are a publicly funded merit goods in economic terms. Government's local and national everywhere in the world run deficits (operate at a loss), the point is for them to distribute funds in such a way to maximise economic benefit, boost economic growth, and to undertake highly beneficial large scale projects that the private sector can't or won't (e.g public transport networks, R&D and space etc.). If governments everywhere suddenly began to only spend what they earn in taxes (or even a surplus), the net effect is that they would be actively deflating and shrinking their economies. I can tell you that London operates a gigantic public transport network, and a very costly one, but if it shut down for a few days and the losses to the economy are staggering, and equally long term without these projects your cities cannot expand, your economic activity will suffer, businesses suffer and flexibility of the labour suffers too.

I know I wouldn't be able to work where I do if the public transport network that I use daily were not in place. My journey would conservatively increase to 3-4 hours per day if I were forced to drive to work which doesn't include the hundreds of thousands of cars that would clog the city's roads.

And that's just London, our subsidies and operating losses aren't even that big. Take the light blue part of the charts of the other major cities below:

View attachment 684668

Also, the cost of not spending on rail and bus transit projects or their operating subsidies is at best a zero sum, you either spend there or you suffer economic damage elsewhere. Or you opt for the much worse alternative for major cities which is spending the amount you would have done on transit, instead on more roads and road maintenance. So at best it's a zero sum game, but more likely for major cities, the benefits of public transport are far greater than the overall cost. Public transport networks also account for less air pollution and road congestion. So everyone benefits.

Also, public transport systems are somewhat natural monopolies and economic theory that applies here has it that the subsidies involve are not inherently wasteful, they serve the purpose of improving access and capacity, as well as lowering fares, and the economic benefit is really very prevalent for the lower income groups so it's a pro-poor policy. One slightly off topic paper discusses this a little. You can find a lot of academic papers on the subject of the benefits of costly public transport.

But IMO the best case for them is to look at what other major cities around the world are doing, they are all following this model and are benefiting, even our neighbours are also following the same path. In a country where people complain about nothing being developed, why can't we be happy when a road network, a metrobus or a railway is built and runs successfully? People complained about the metrobus, now everyone wants one, and understandably so, I think the same will happen with the Orange line, despite high cost of rail.

Didnt imran khan boast abt brt being self sustaining? I dont know if IK is dumb or his ministers make a fool out of him.

I knew it was a waste of time or resources even before it was started.

Imagine making public transport profitable, don’t think outside one or two cities like Hong Kong, public transportation is profitable.

Everywhere else public transport is a utility that may lose money itself but adds value to society.
I knew it was a waste of time or resources even before it was started.
Find me one public transit system that’s profitable?

Reporting a loss is okay, but it should be a comparable loss to other public transit networks ie. comparable to Lahore and Pindi metro. Just going off the headline, the loss is not really larger, especially given Covid.

Anyway, public transport the world over generally runs at a loss. It is MEANT to run a loss. It’s a public service, not a private business. So while care should be taken to scrutinise losses and build efficiency, it’s not surprising that subsidies are required.

People used to attack Lahore and other metros with these comments too. I said the same thing back then:

It would had made sense if Pakistan had overflowing riches but with scarce resources we can't be wasting them on these luxurious.

It would had made sense if Pakistan had overflowing riches but with scarce resources we can't be wasting them on these luxurious.
It saves billions in imported fuel that would have been burnt in bikes, it enables mobility.
Most mass transit systems across the globe are not run to generate the revenue. But than the loss should be minimal and sustainable.

The efficiency should be improved.
One way would be to use electric trolly buses, so that you don’t have to burn diesel.

It saves billions in imported fuel that would have been burnt in bikes, it enables mobility.

Instead of spending all that money making this metros, they could have just fixed the roads and bought buses.

Instead of spending all that money making this metros, they could have just fixed the roads and bought buses.
How would that reduce traffic, ask any transportation engineer and he’ll tell you road size is directly correlated with the number of vehicles.
Smaller roads = less cars
Bigger roads = more cars

Imagine making public transport profitable, don’t think outside one or two cities like Hong Kong, public transportation is profitable.

Everywhere else public transport is a utility that may lose money itself but adds value to society.

Find me one public transit system that’s profitable?
Hong Kong transit system

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom