What's new

brotherly relationship between Pakistan and Turkey, and Khilafat Movement

@chharoonahmad

I am not sure I understand your question here? Are you asking why does Turkey have close relations with Pakistan and if this is because of the support of undivided Indian Muslims to Khilafat movement in the 1920s?

Thank you very much, Ejaz. Yes, I have been told that the reason for this good relationship is the support of Indian Muslims to Khilafat movement in the 1920s.

Regards
Haroon

@chharoonahmad
Then the answer is IMO no. The Muslim League founders as well as Jinnah were never supportive of the Khilafat-Non-Cooperation movement. On the other hand, Hakim Ajmal Khan, Ali Brothers e.t.c who were nationalists till their death were the founders of the movement. The close Pakistani-Turkish relatonship has more to do with the Cold war era military alliances that Pakistan built. So when Pakistan became a member of Baghdad Pact and later CENTO, a close relationship was forged with Turkey on the military to military level. In both countries military played a predominant role in politics. And this affected political relations as well at the govt. level. At people-to-people level I am sure many countries including India on average will have goodwill towards the Pakistani people if not towards the govt./establishment. And so it would be for Turkey as well.

Yes, I have also read that Jinnah was not in favour of this Movement. So, in your opinion the Khilafat movement has nothing to do with the cordial relationship?

I was wondering in what sense you used the word "nationalist" in the above context. Perhaps, you meant that they were in favour of united India or were of the thinking to see all the Muslim countries as one nation?

However, with a more democratic Turkey and Turkish politics less dominated with the military, the fall of Soviet Union and the AKPs goal of having zero problems with everyone Turkish relations have improved a lot with India.

Turkey still takes the relationship with Pakistan very seriously. I think AKP is (or, perhaps never was) on good terms with Turkish army. So, if the base of this relationship is purely because of historical connections between the militaries of both countries, then I don't think AKP would like Pakistan relation much.

By the way, in the past Pakistanis didn't require a visa for Turkey but then it was made mandatory on the insistence of the Pakistan government and the prime reason for this insistence was human trafficking.

If I remember correctly, the Turkish position is no longer the implementation of UN resolutions on Kashmir which it kept stating till the 90s but more towards bilateral resolution of Kashmir between India and Pakistan keeping Kashmir aspirations in mind which is ostensibly closer to the Indian point of view.

But Turkey is still very much on the side of Pakistan. About a year or so ago there was some kind of conference about Afghanistan in Turkey. And India wasn't invited there. Turkey has been trying to establish good connections almost with every Asian country.

Please note that I'm a person of limited knowledge and in no way I'm trying to contradict the information in your post. It's simply a way of learning for me and we all learn in different ways!

Thank you for all your help, and especially time.

Regards
Haroon

I am not sure I understand your question here? Are you asking why does Turkey have close relations with Pakistan and if this is because of the support of undivided Indian Muslims to Khilafat movement in the 1920s?

I want you to answer me with some honour and dignity,how many times has india been "divided" since india's creation in 1947?

those muslims of 1920's you speak about were not "indian muslims",they were muslims of british indian empire.

Why does the relationship always has to be brotherly, can it not be sisterly?

Why does the relationship always has to be brotherly, can it not be sisterly?

Sisters are always envious of one another no matter what, brothers usually(Not Always) support one another..
Hence the saying..

Sisters are always envious of one another no matter what, brothers usually(Not Always) support one another..
Hence the saying..

Why cant the relationship be fatherly then?

Cant two countries just fool around casually rather than being brothers.

Cmon T-Faz, we can have many many sisters or brothers, but never Fathers..:lol:

Baap to ek hi hai...aur woh sab ka baap...ooopar wala

Forget that, Pakistan should have girl-friendly relations with other countries.

Turkey has followed a 'slightly different' secular model than Pakistan's 'moderate Islamic country' one. Both have been examples of countries having a majority of Muslim moderates. However, the Turkish people have very big hearts, have a lot of humanity in their hearts; which is why Turkey and Pakistan enjoy such brotherly relations, both on a national & individual level. They are not traitorous like our 'Muslim brothers' in the Middle East (the oil rich countries) or Afghanistan.

^ Look who's talking.

O.T.
Turkey indeed is a very advanced country (compared to many Islamic countries) and had Muslims back at the beginning of 20th been united, we would have seen 'Turkey' in many parts of Middle East.

^ Look who's talking.

O.T.
Turkey indeed is a very advanced country (compared to many Islamic countries) and had Muslims back at the beginning of 20th been united, we would have seen 'Turkey' in many parts of Middle East.

^^^ Look who's talking:

Pakistan has the 26th highest GDP in the world terms of Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) as per the World Bank, IMF & CIA Fact Book sources 2010. Turkey has the 15th highest GDP (PPP) in the world. Afghanistan sits on 106th on the list. Get the 5 million illegal Afghan refugees of yours out of Pakistan, & you will see Pakistan go higher up on the list. Pakistan has the highest number of illegal refugees (flowing from Afghanistan) in the world today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

Pakistan's 'moderate Islamic country' one. Both have been examples of countries having a majority of Muslim moderates.

Pakistan is no way a "moderate muslim country"

This is what the "moderate" majority in Pakistan believes

pakistan-00-06.png

Source: Pew Global

Pakistan is no way a "moderate muslim country"

This is what the "moderate" majority in Pakistan believes

pakistan-00-06.png

Source: Pew Global

Unfortunately, this false survey that you posted does not translate into the everyday Pakistani life or working conditions. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting stoned, I've never heard of anyone getting their hands chopped off for theft, & I've never seen killed for leaving Islam. There are many things that need to be looked at when you take a survey: you see the sample size (population), you see if the samples are representative of the entire population etc. I am willing to believe these results might be true for certain FATA regions where the Taliban have strongholds & there is no writ of the government, but no other part of Pakistan. An Islamic party has never been brought into power by the Pakistani people. Zardari's PPP, MQM, ANP & most parties in Pakistan are quite secular in nature.

Get the 5 million illegal Afghan refugees of yours out of Pakistan, & you will see Pakistan go higher up on the list. Pakistan has the highest number of illegal refugees (flowing from Afghanistan) in the world today.
Just when you think one can't get any more ridiculous, there comes you. Clarify how Afghan refugees are the biggest obstacle in your prosperity and prove that it's only because of Afghan refugees? It's not the refugees taking aid from every country in the world and dispense the money in their pockets, it's your politicians. And we, along with the ongoing wars, face the exact same problem in politics.

Back
Top Bottom