What's new

Brother of dead INS Sindhuratna Officer refuses government compensation

Reaction score
New Delhi: As the ill-fated submarine INS Sindhuratna made its way to the Mumbai harbour it carried with it the news Indian Navy was dreading. The tragic news was the confirmation that its two officers "unaccounted for" during the mishap on board the Russian-built submarine had indeed suffocated to death in a chamber full of toxic smoke.

While seven officers were injured and airlifted, two officers - Lieutenant Commander Kapish Singh Muwal from Delhi and Lieutenant Manoranjan Kumar from Jamshedpur - were trapped for over 24 hours in a compartment filled with toxic smoke and died of asphyxiation.

LT commander Kapish Singh Muwal's brother gave a very emotional statement by saying that had his brother been alive, he would not have called himself a martyr as he died without fighting because of substandard equipments.

"There was a defect in the submarine, everyone knew that there was some defect with this submarine. These are sub standard submarines which have been used. What's the use of repairing a submarine when it's going to explode again,' asked the dead LT Commander's brother.

"I use to tell my brother that why you want to go on a submarine which has no respect for your life. He used to do it just for the love for the country. We should thank those who work for the nation, not make fun of their lives. It was a bad joke with them. When they knew that the submarine is not in proper condition they should not have sent them. We don't need financial help from the government. We pay you taxes, please use them for the upgradation of equipments. Had my brother been alive he would not have called himself a martyr. He died without fighting because of substandard equipments," he said.

However, after Indian Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi resigned on Wednesday evening taking onus for accidents involving warships during his term, there were reports that the relations between him and the Defence Minister AK Antony had become strained over the string of disasters under the former's watch.

The Defence Minister, however, tried to control the damage. Describing the Navy Chief as a 'very good Admiral' and a 'fine human being', the Defence Minister said he is sad about the whole development.

With over 11 major and minor incidents on warships and submarines over the last 10 months, the Navy's saftey track record is under the scanner. But also under the scanner is AK Antony's own track record as Defence Minister. The common complain the forces have against him is that for 10 years he has sat on important files related to upgradation, mordenisation and aquisitions.

As a result India's submarine fleet is down to 13 as compared with China's 50. The purchase of 126 Rafale fighter jets from France to replace Indian Air Force's ageing fleet has also been put on hold.

But the bigger disaster has been the way the Defence Minister has dealt with his chiefs. It is widely believed that had Antony not let the age issue of former Army Chief General VK Singh fester, he could have prevented the ugliness that followed.

The distrust between the Army and the Defence Ministry had reached such a low that the movement of two military units towards Delhi in 2012 had the MOD in a state of panic smelling a coup.

Antony was also criticised for changing his statements in August 2013 when five Indian soldiers were killed at the LoC. He first claimed that it was the handiwork of terrorists dressed in Pakistani Army uniforms and a day later he made a U-turn by blaming the Pakistan Army directly.

The Defence Minister had also come under the scanner for his role in Rs 4000 crore Augusta Westland VVIP chopper deal.

Brother of dead INS Sindhuratna Officer refuses government compensation

It really hurts to see that he died in vain, just because some does not do tier work we loss true soldiers....

Its sad to see such waste of human life.

The entire congress government steeped in indecision, incompetence, corruption and economy wreaking populism is waste of human life too. The ease with which congress resorts to policies damaging the nation just for votes borders on treason.

Supreme sacrifice in submarine

Mumbai, Feb. 27: When a Korean-made offshore patrol craft of the Indian Navy tugged the Russian-made INS Sindhuratna back into the Mumbai harbour this morning, it brought home the dead with the survivors.

Lieutenant Commander Kapish Muwal, 32, and Lieutenant Manoranjan Kumar, 30, died not because they were slow to leave a submarine compartment filled with toxic gases but because they chose to risk their lives to save their comrades, naval sources told The Telegraph.

“Their deaths were a supreme sacrifice in the highest traditions of the Indian defence forces. They gave up their lives to save others,” said a senior naval officer of the Western Command who was part of a team that spoke to the crew of the Sindhuratna.

A battery leak on board the submarine during a crucial mid-sea inspection on Wednesday morning had started a fire, and poisonous fumes from fire extinguishers filled two compartments.

“Muwal and Kumar were pushing their men out of the affected compartments 3 and 4 where fumes were spreading. They were kicking and shoving (the others) and helping them escape,” the officer said.

“In the end, one of them went back to check whether anybody had been left behind, while the other waited. That’s when the hatch between compartments 4 and 5 closed, trapping the two of them inside.”

Muwal, from Delhi, was married and leaves behind a child. Kumar, from Jamshedpur, was single and stayed at the Western Command naval officers’ mess.

Each had won the Sword of Honour as the best cadet in his batch. Kumar had been earmarked for promotion as acting lieutenant commander.

The survivors were inconsolable when they came ashore at Mumbai’s naval dockyard. “All those men too had grappled with death for over 24 hours, inhaling the (residual) lethal gases lurking inside the labyrinthine, dark compartments of INS Sindhuratna. The battery leak had snuffed out the lights,” the officer who spoke to this newspaper said.

The mishap has prompted the resignation of Admiral D.K. Joshi as navy chief and questions are swirling around defence minister A.K. Antony.

In Delhi, the younger brother of Muwal said something that will pose more questions to the defence establishment. “When he (Muwal) came home, he told us that everyone knew about the bad condition of the submarine and he was concerned about it,” Ashish Muwal said.

But the family was not blaming the navy. “This is part of the job. Accidents happen as they do on the roads of Delhi every day. How can we blame the navy for this accident? We stand by the navy,” Kapish’s uncle Om Prakash Ahalwat said.

COMMANDER CRITICAL

The condition of the submarine’s commanding officer, Commander Sandeep Sinha, 40, worsened today. Sinha, who had taken ill from inhaling the fumes while trying to rescue Muwal and Kumar, had agreed to be evacuated with 22 others only after seven critically ill sailors had been airlifted.

The commander was evacuated by ship yesterday, two hours after the accident. It took three more hours to bring him ashore.

“He was doing well initially but on Thursday he turned critical and could not breathe. He has been put on ventilator. The sub’s engineering officer — a lieutenant commander — is also in a serious condition,” the officer said.

Popular for his jovial nature and one-liners, Commander Sinha — “Sandy” to his friends — is a second-generation naval officer, as were Muwal and Kumar.

“Sinha’s father is a retired commander of the navy’s logistics branch. He has this unique ability to make everyone happy. He is also a fighter — I know in my heart that he is going to pull this one off too and be on his feet soon,” said an officer from the directorate of submarines who was among Sinha’s mates at the National Defence Academy.

Sinha’s wife, four-year-old daughter and two-and-a-half-year-old son live with him in Mumbai. His parents are in Gurgaon. “His father-in-law too is a retired Rear Admiral,” Sinha’s friend said.

The INS Sukanya-class frigate that had come to Sindhuratna’s aid yesterday had initially tried to tug the sub ashore across a distance of more than 100 nautical miles.

But the submarine was able to restore some batteries, recharged them after a while, and began moving towards Mumbai on its own power by yesterday afternoon. However, the batteries soon ran out.

“The submarine now turned completely dark. With no cooling inside, the bodies of the dead officers had begun to smell by Wednesday night. It was a morbid atmosphere and, in the dark, not many spoke,” said a navy source.

Torchlight was used sparingly to save the cells. The vessel plodded back ashore wearily, tugged again by the Sukanya-class frigate.

Four naval fast-crafts joined the operation sometime during the small hours today.

INS Sindhuratna was berthed a little after 10am right behind the spot where INS Sindhurakshak — the kilo-class submarine where an explosion killed 18 sailors last August — used to be anchored.

The following is a poem written by an officer who was closely associated with Lt Cdr Kapish Muwal and Lt Manoranjan Kumar

28poemfro.jpg

INS_Sindhuratna_650.jpg

Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhuratna (file pic)

New Delhi: Two naval officers whose bodies were found inside the submarine INS Sindhuratna on Thursday, died saving other sailors after a fire broke out in the vessel late on Wednesday morning.

Lieutenant Commander Kapish Muwal, 32, and Lieutenant Manoranjan Kumar, 30, were found dead in a compartment after the submarine was brought to the Mumbai coast on Thursday. (Two officers died in fire on board submarine INS Sindhuratna, confirms Navy)
Their bodies, reportedly bloated and disfigured due to hours of exposure to toxic gases, are being DNA-tested.

"If my brother was here, he would have told me, I would have loved to die in battle...this is embarrassing," said Lt Commander Muwal's brother Ashish.

Ashish Muwal shared that his brother had told him that the submarine was not fit to go to sea. "My brother knew the submarine was defective. Everyone knew it was defective. It was sent for trial one last time. It was only for one day and it proved fatal. It is a bad joke which has taken two precious lives."

A battery leak reportedly started the fire, and poisonous fumes from fire extinguishers filled two compartments.

Survivors say the two officers pushed their comrades out of the compartments and were checking to see whether anyone was left when a hatch closed, trapping them inside. Seven injured sailors are recovering in hospital.

The incident comes months after a dockside blast in Mumbai killed all 18 aboard another submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, last August, raising concerns over India's ageing fleet and crew training. Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi cited a series of accidents on his watch while resigning on Wednesday. (Navy chief Admiral DK Joshi resigns taking responsibility for submarine accidents)

The INS Sindhuratna, a Soviet-built Kilo class vessel, was commissioned in 1988.

At Lt Commander Manoranjan Kumar's home in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, no one dared break the news to his mother on Thursday. The family reportedly disconnected its cable TV connection and stopped all visitors from coming in.

"Manoranjan studied engineering for four years before joining the navy. He was the brightest in the family...it is a shock for us," said his cousin Rajesh Kumar. The officer's father has left for Mumbai to bring his body. The officer was reportedly engaged to be married.
For NDTV Updates,
Submarine INS Sindhuratna fire: 'He would have loved to die in war, he'd say this is embarrassing' | NDTV.com

This is not accident. It is a homicide. By intentionally delaying and cancelling defence deals, the ruling government has only made it easier to kill off soldiers using vintage platforms, more efficiently than Pakistani soldiers/non-state actors, Chinese troops or Bangladeshi cattle smuggling gangs could ever do.

The deaths of these soldiers were not an accident but a planned homicide. Similar to the sudden surge in deaths of nuclear scientists.

INS Sindhuratna tragedy: Family recalls Navy officer Kapish’s love for high seas

antony-2_650_022814082842.jpg

He wanted to serve the nation and he found his true calling in the armed forces. Lt Commander Kapish Singh Muwal, who died on board INS Sindhuratna after a fire broke out in the ship on Wednesday, exemplified courage and love for the country. While his mother, other family members and friends in Najafgarh are in a state of shock, they recalled how Kapish was proud of his role as a naval officer.

” My brother was a brave man,” said Ashish Muwal, Kapish’s younger brother. ” My brother used to say that he would love to die for the country.

When I used to ask him why he had to go on these submarines, he would say that somebody has to do it. Why should I pass the buck?” Recalling his brother’s devotion Ashish said even though Kapish was unwell for the last few days, he was not willing to return home on medical leave.

” We had asked him to come home. But for him call of duty was more important than his self. So he said he would rather stay stationed there to serve the nation.” Ironically, he had called up his family just before getting back to the submarine. But the family missed his call and could never speak to him again. He and Lt Commander Manoranjan Kumar lost their lives in the mishap.

Kapish’s death has shaken up the neighbours who are worried about his mother who is unwell.

As they wait for Kapish’s last return to his home, the neighbours hope the family gets strength to face the loss.

Kapish had scored 95 per cent in his CBSE 12th standard exams and had studied for six months in St. Stephens College.

But he quit the course and willingly joined the armed forces.

It’s not surprising since the desire to serve runs in the family – his father had also served as a commander.

As his father flew to Mumbai to receive the body, family members wondered why the officers were deployed on the submarine. ” Everybody knew that the submarine was faulty and not fit to sail. My brother and his friends also shared the same opinion with us,” Ashish told Mail Today. ” People who are responsible should be held accountable,” he said. ” Money should be spent on good equipment and justice should be done to those young officers who pay the price due to negligence.

There are defects in all the submarines, each one is faulty and every officer in the Navy knows that. But their hands are tied and can do nothing about it,” he added.

INS Sindhuratna tragedy: Family recalls Navy officer Kapish’s love for high seas | idrw.org

@Rajaraja Chola @Tshering22
What is the Govt. Answer? I want to know and also if the file work for replacing the Battery or cable is delayed by one year, could we know on which table the file was kept for how much time, with names? So that we can find the culprit!!

"I use to tell my brother that why you want to go on a submarine which has no respect for your life. He used to do it just for the love for the country. We should thank those who work for the nation, not make fun of their lives. It was a bad joke with them. When they knew that the submarine is not in proper condition they should not have sent them. We don't need financial help from the government. We pay you taxes, please use them for the upgradation of equipments. Had my brother been alive he would not have called himself a martyr. He died without fighting because of substandard equipments,
Hats off to this guy.
An incredible statement and has shown a lot of spunk.
RIP to his brother Kapish.

What is the Govt. Answer? I want to know and also if the file work for replacing the Battery or cable is delayed by one year, could we know on which table the file was kept for how much time, with names? So that we can find the culprit!!

An interesting tip for you from the South Block itself:

Replacing a battery doesn't give as much commission as buying a new submarine.

An interesting tip for you from the South Block itself:

Replacing a battery doesn't give as much commission as buying a new submarine.

I know, but just wanted to know which bloody officer kept that file with himself for how many months? And can a homicide case be charged against him in court for this?

I think we should ask Rahul Gandhi ji who shall give incredible answer with his RTI Act. Everything is delayed. Forget Artillery for now. A soldiers basic need, ballistic Helmets, light bullet proof jackets, boots, Guns are all waiting govt nod for nearly 8 years. Only if a person is in a good state of mind, can he use even a lame equipment to effective use. The Army , Navy (considered the best in indigenous equipment) have already submitted the list of wants to Defence Minister.
I , personally admire him for his honestly, and also dislike him for committing unplanned Murders. Both corruption and life of our defenders are equal. If you ask the one among the two, the life of a soldier is more important.

I know, but just wanted to know which bloody officer kept that file with himself for how many months? And can a homicide case be charged against him in court for this?

No Buddy. The last speech Admiral Joshi gave to his officers he told them of his helplessness of the Defence Ministry to get basic approvals and requirements.

I think we should ask Rahul Gandhi ji who shall give incredible answer with his RTI Act. Everything is delayed. Forget Artillery for now. A soldiers basic need, ballistic Helmets, light bullet proof jackets, boots, Guns are all waiting govt nod for nearly 8 years. Only if a person is in a good state of mind, can he use even a lame equipment to effective use. The Army , Navy (considered the best in indigenous equipment) have already submitted the list of wants to Defence Minister.
I , personally admire him for his honestly, and also dislike him for committing unplanned Murders. Both corruption and life of our defenders are equal. If you ask the one among the two, the life of a soldier is more important.

No Buddy. The last speech Admiral Joshi gave to his officers he told them of his helplessness of the Defence Ministry to get basic approvals and requirements.

These secoolar, liberal, free and democratic folks only remember defence when a new platform has to be purchased, tendered and fat commissions to be earned under the table.

No one gives a jack about dying soldiers, sailors and pilots who die a death in vain because some old fart sitting in an air conditioned room licks his foreign owner's shoes and obeys their orders (if you know what I mean).

What is the use of the so-called taint-free image if it is killing the soldiers as well?

Fundamentally, our Ministry of Defence is the strongest weapon Pakistan and China have in their arsenal. As long as MOD maintains its current work culture, structure and mode of authority, we will always be in danger.

Back
Top Bottom