What's new

Brooklyn - The little Pakistan of America

That's in Queens.

Lotta Bangladeshis.
He means it as a joke. Anyone familiar with the south Asian diaspora in new york knows that Jackson heights has already passed through it's indian-pakistani phase, and is now in it's BD phase for a while now.

Coney island Ave is going through the same pattern now. Lots of pakistanis have left already for greener pastures, and there is an influx of BD people moving in.

However, Brooklyn along with the rest of NYC, and LI, still retains the honor of having the highest concentration of pakistanis, anywhere in north America.

Last edited:
He means it as a joke. Anyone familiar with the south Asian diaspora in new your knows that Jackson heights has already passed through it's indian-pakistani phase, and is now in it's BD phase for a while now.

Coney island Ave is going through the same pattern now. Lots of pakistanis have left already for greener pastures, and there is an influx of BD people moving in.

However, Brooklyn along with the rest of NYC, and LI, still retains the honor of having the highest concentration of pakistanis, anywhere in north America.

Next Jackson heights will be majority Nepali and Tibetan as the Bengalis will find places in Long Island, Jersey and other states.

A lot of minorities Stay in the NYC area because it seems like a safe mixed Ethnoburb. That is the reason it seem that most Italian Americans stay in the New York/NJ area, despite being in the country in large numbers for over a hundred years.

I don’t see the majority of Pakistanis leaving the NYC area anytime soon. It’s a place they feel the safest in the US.

Last edited:
Next Jackson heights will be majority Nepali and Tibetan as the Bengalis will find places in Long Island, Jersey and other states.

A lot of minorities Stay in the NYC area because it seems like a safe mixed Ethnoburb. That is the reason it seem that most Italian Americans stay in the New York/NJ area, despite being the country in large numbers for over a hundred years.

I don’t see the majority of Pakistanis leaving the NYC area anytime soon. It’s a place they feel the safest in the US.
You are correct, for the most part Pakistani Americans will stay put in new York tristate area. It is expensive as hell to live in this part of the US, but it still offers the best cultural, educational, and highly paid job opportunities anywhere.
Moreover, a very large Pakistani community ranging from the new comers to the well established, highly educated, and very affluent folks reside in NY. Those who have made it in NY, want to stay here as well, for them the rest of the country is boring, of course with the exception of other metro areas that resemble ny.

Last edited:
Majority were illegal, some went through Canada and lot of them went direct. They were in thousands. Legal one went to different states, as city was no more friendly.

I remember NY in the 90s, it was the most vibrant I have ever seen the community, especially because the cost of living was so much lower in the city back then, and there were a lot of people coming into the community. We had a mela in Astoria by the River, near where the Costco is now, and seeing the mosh pit of young guys just rocking out to the music on stage was amazing. Heck, there was even a Mela back in 1993 I think, down by the WTC, it made us feel like we could be equally American and Pakistani.

I remember a lot of people saying after 911, that people went to Texas, specially if they were illegal immigrants. A lot probably also went to Canada I’d assume.

Biltmore ballroom
Starlight
Q club
Tilden ballroom
1990s Brooklyn was the party town gunshots would fly outside and in but the atmosphere was intoxicating .

good days .

A lot of minorities Stay in the NYC area because it seems like a safe mixed Ethnoburb. That is the reason it seem that most Italian Americans stay in the New York/NJ area, despite being in the country in large numbers for over a hundred years.

In terms of Bengalis, this has happened 20+ years ago with the first influx of immigrants.

I grew up in Queens in the 80's and then out to LI in the 90's.

So did alot of the other first gen immigrants from BD whose parents were mostly professionals.

Alot of those folks live in East Meadow and Levittown.

Mid 90's saw an influx of lesser educated folk from the homeland.

Lucky for them, they bought up alot of cheap real estate in NYC which then skyrocketed in price.

These folks are also much more enterprising than the more "educated" cohort earlier leading to alot of new businesses

and a sort of social gentrification of the ghettos they moved into such as Jamaica Queens which are MUCH safer now than in the 90's.

Some folks also apparently went upstate as this article suggests:

It's really fascinating the migration tracks of folks from South Asia to the US from the late 20th to the present day.

In terms of Bengalis, this has happened 20+ years ago with the first influx of immigrants.

So did alot of the other first gen immigrants from BD whose parents were mostly professionals.

Lucky for them, they bought up alot of cheap real estate in NYC which then skyrocketed in price.

These folks are also much more enterprising than the more "educated" cohort earlier leading to alot of new businesses

and a sort of social gentrification of the ghettos they moved into such as Jamaica Queens which are MUCH safer now than in the 90's.

It's really fascinating the migration tracks of folks from South Asia to the US from the late 20th to the present day.

So true. Back in the early 2000s, In Buffalo the Muslim community bought an old Church on Sobieski Street and turned it into a Masjid. It was the heart of the Muslim community, really ghetto, mostly black neighborhood that was slowly getting more and more South Asians. Last time I was there a couple of years ago, the neighborhood didn’t look that different.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more immigrants keep going further west like the Midwest, especially places like Columbus Ohio (to a place that is more affordable and a somewhat decent economy), even if there are people there that may not be as welcoming, but that’s kind of the way it was in Jackson heights back in the 70s/80s; most people were nice and there were some odd balls. In a generation or two it will all be part of the immigrant story their kids will tell.

I remember back in the early 80s, brooklyn was a real gang & crime infested area. Pakistanis have really cleaned it up. there are still issues but compared to before, it has become considerably cleaner.
Pakistanis living in other countries knew of Brooklyn through gangster rap music with the emergence of Biggie.

2019 I was blessed to perform Hajj before the global pandemic struck. I met many Bangladeshi migrant workers in Saudi Arabia from cleaning the Haraam Shareef and Masjid Nabawee to street cleaners, garbage collectors, hotel workers, taxi drivers, market traders etc. Met some Pakistanis as well mainly construction workers.

Looking forward to move from South Carolina, any suggestions? any invitations ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom