What's new

Britain topples US as most powerful nation on Earth: Survey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Death

BANNED
Reaction score
18 NOV, 2012, 05.56PM IST,
Britain topples US as most powerful nation on Earth: Survey.

Britain for the first time has toppled the US to emerge as the most powerful nation in the world when it comes to "soft power", according to a new UK survey.

LONDON: The empire strikes back! Britain for the first time has toppled the US to emerge as the most powerful nation in the world when it comes to "soft power", according to a new UK survey.

The survey found that Britain projects more positive influence around the world than any other nation.

For the first time, Britain has beaten the US to the top spot in an annual survey of global soft power.

Coined by a Harvard academic in 1990, the term describes how countries use attraction and persuasion, rather than coercion or payment, to change behaviour.

Monocle magazine's annual "Global Soft Power" survey, ranks nations according to their standard of government; diplomatic infrastructure; cultural output; capacity for education; and appeal to business.

The top five spots went to Britain, the US, Germany, France and Sweden. The list is calculated using a matrix of 50 factors that indicate the use of soft power, the 'Independent' reported.

Some are empirical - such as the number of cultural missions, Olympic medals and foreign students a country can claim; others are more subjective - with countries ranked for the quality of their cuisine, architecture and business brands, the report said.

"We're in a time, right now, where, more than ever, it's not particularly fashionable to go out and write massive cheques to get your way in the world," Tyler Brule, Monocle's editor-in-chief, said.

"With the Olympics taking place here, which got far more fanfare internationally than domestically, and with America very focused on elections, I think the result is probably right. The UK has had a very international presence this year and it has been the best of the British.

"I think America vastly undervalues the importance of soft power. It has a tendency to focus on the tangible and the concrete," Xenia Dormandy, a senior fellow and US expert at Chatham House, was quoted by the paper as saying.

According to the report, the Olympics brought global attention to the UK, with Team GB winning 65 medals. Bradley Wiggins conquered the Tour de France and Andy Murray took his first Grand Slam title in New York.

James Bond was everywhere, appearing with the Queen in the Olympics opening ceremony, then in cinemas, with the global franchise's biggest ever release, Skyfall.

Around 29 million visit the UK a year, while just 62 million visit the US, the report said.

Britain topples US as most powerful nation on Earth: Survey - The Economic Times

I never heard UK in Turkish news for so long , English football teams are all surpassed by spanish teams and their national team is going downhill . Only 1 thing left which is the biggest is their language .

I think US rather hang to superpower than the no1 soft power title :) , being no 2 in soft power is no shame.

Utter claptrap! UK is a sunset power. It has faded from sight. Except for a few Trident subs, stiff upper lips and James Bond, it has nothing else. No power, and little say in world politics. It's so tiny, you can't even see it on the world map!

And it's the 'most powerful nation'? Jeeez!

^^^ Article is talking about soft power.

I think US rather hang to superpower than the no1 soft power title :) , being no 2 in soft power is no shame.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - Theodore Roosevelt.

USA has both soft and hard power, you know, for those occasions when people don't listen to soft power. :D

i dont think so but whatever make them happy....

Anyone hear about any artists from the UK in the last 4 decades? Movies from the UK? Did Spiderman suddenly have an urge for tea and bisquits?
Everything the Americans buy, sell or wear is duplicated by every other nation.
The soft power of the US is unparreraled, period.

The UK is synonymous of mad cow disease, prions contaminated roast beef, laziness, drunkers, muppet and scat follower of the US. UK citizens are mostly known for being s.. predators, ped.... for induging in sexual tourism in South East Asian Countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Sri Lanka etc targeting mainly under 18 young males and females. Shame on UK. So its quite a surprise to know that UK ranks first in soft power. If this is soft power, then good to know that China and Pakistan are not topping this shameful list.

Agent 007 seems to be working overtime to earn the status they lost some 6 decades ago. :rolleyes:

Get rid of the queen. She is Already at the verge of dying.Scotland want to be independent nation, Soon Ireland will follow, britain is going to be overpassed by pakistan in nuke power, they think they are becoming a soft power!

^^^How getting rid of the queen will benefit them in any way?

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - Theodore Roosevelt.

USA has both soft and hard power, you know, for those occasions when people don't listen to soft power. :D

That actually also describe Don Corleone.

399046.jpg

Who can deliver it better than Marlon Brando,

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom