What's new

Breaking news : General killed in Pakistan crash

genmirajborgza786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Canada
General killed in Pakistan crash
A senior Pakistani army officer is among eight people killed in a helicopter crash in the restive South Waziristan region, the army says.
The army helicopter carrying Maj Gen Javed Sultan crashed because of a technical fault in bad weather, an army spokesman told the BBC.

Maj Gen Sultan was a senior officer in charge of fighting Islamist Taleban militants near the Afghan border.

The army says that at least two other senior officers were killed.

The helicopter reportedly came down between the towns of Jandola and Wana.

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | South Asia | General killed in Pakistan crash

Published: 2008/02/06 12:34:25 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Pakistan: 8 killed in helicopter crash

By RIAZ KHAN, Associated Press Writer
36 minutes ago

PESHAWAR, Pakistan - A Pakistani army helicopter crashed Wednesday in northwestern Pakistan, killing three generals and five other soldiers, officials said.

The aircraft went down in South Waziristan, a rugged tribal region along the border with Afghanistan, the army's top spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas said.

The area has been the scene of intense fighting between Pakistani forces and Islamic militants, but Abbas said initial reports indicated the crash occurred due to "a technical fault in the helicopter."

All the dead were Pakistanis and included Maj. Gen. Javed Sultan, the top military commander for South Waziristan, Abbas said on Pakistan's Aaj TV. A military statement said the other victims included two brigadiers, a lieutenant colonel, three captains and an enlisted man.

Abbas said the helicopter crashed near the road that links Wana, South Waziristan's main town, with Jandola, another town in the area.

Pakistan — a close U.S. ally in the war against terrorism — has deployed thousands of troops to South Waziristan, where security forces have fought intense battles with militants in recent weeks.

It might have been shot down....

could be. But if the crash took place in the area mentioned in the news then the weather factor is strong as heavy Snowfall has started in Waziristan, Shawal, Razmak areas since yeasterday.

I am very very sad and confused why the hell they decided to fly amid snowfall and damn poor visibility.

Guys anyone, any information on names of others killed i am restlessly looking for knowing the names of pilot and co-pilot.

RIP :'(

could be. But if the crash took place in the area mentioned in the news then the weather factor is strong as heavy Snowfall has started in Waziristan, Shawal, Razmak areas since yeasterday.

I am very very sad and confused why the hell they decided to fly amid snowfall and damn poor visibility.

Guys anyone, any information on names of others killed i am restlessly looking for knowing the names of pilot and co-pilot.

Its very sad, and especially unlucky that the chopper was transporting so many high-ranking officers.
I won't be surprised if regardless of whether it was actually shot down, the militia claim to have done so.

According to ISPR -Captain Naveed (Pilot), Captain Haroon (Pilot)

Helicopter Crash
1. A Pakistan Army helicopter crashed near Tanai, on Wana – Jandola Road at 2:40 pm. On board were seven officers namely, Major General Javed Sultan, Brigadier Afzal Cheema, Brigadier Saeed Khan, Lieutenant Colonel Omar Farooq, Captain Shehzad, Captain Naveed (Pilot), Captain Haroon (Pilot) and one Non Commissioned Officer, Crew Chief Naik Amir. All on board embraced shahadat in the crash. Reportedly, the crash occurred due to technical fault.
Latest News

R.I.P

My condolences to the families and your nation. Regardless how it happened, and we have a perfectly reasonable one offered already, it proves again the dangers of military life.

EVERY TIME I climbed into a chopper in the past I always wondered if it was my last trip. I swear that the U.S. military loses a chopper a week even in peacetime. Throw mountainous and/or rough terrain (I suspect), low visibility (maybe), an absence of decent hasty LZs to auto-rotate, possibly night-time (add that into low visibility-rain, fog, snow) and you've got an aviator's nightmare...

Now have a mechanical malfunction.:angry:

May these good men rest in peace.

According to ISPR -Captain Naveed (Pilot), Captain Haroon (Pilot)

Helicopter Crash
1. A Pakistan Army helicopter crashed near Tanai, on Wana – Jandola Road at 2:40 pm. On board were seven officers namely, Major General Javed Sultan, Brigadier Afzal Cheema, Brigadier Saeed Khan, Lieutenant Colonel Omar Farooq, Captain Shehzad, Captain Naveed (Pilot), Captain Haroon (Pilot) and one Non Commissioned Officer, Crew Chief Naik Amir. All on board embraced shahadat in the crash. Reportedly, the crash occurred due to technical fault.
Latest News

R.I.P

I got the list. But thanks Sam

:cry: :cry:

is he the same cheema, who is army spokesman?

i think he is some different person!!

No, thats Javed Iqbal Cheema, Interior Ministry Spokesman.

Was it Russian newer or older version of MI17 or American made?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom