What's new

[BREAKING] COVID-19 is less contagious at higher temperatures

BL33D

Reaction score
Country
India

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

Abstract
This paper investigates how air temperature and humidity influence the transmission of COVID-19. After estimating the serial interval of COVID-19 from 105 pairs of the virus carrier and the infected, we calculate the daily effective reproductive number, R, for each of all 100 Chinese cities with more than 40 cases. Using the daily R values from January 21 to 23, 2020 as proxies of non-intervened transmission intensity, we find, under a linear regression framework for 100 Chinese cities, high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19, respectively, even after controlling for population density and GDP per capita of cities. One degree Celsius increase in temperature and one percent increase in relative humidity lower R by 0.0383 and 0.0224, respectively. This result is consistent with the fact that the high temperature and high humidity significantly reduce the transmission of influenza. It indicates that the arrival of summer and rainy season in the northern hemisphere can effectively reduce the transmission of the COVID-19.

Funding: This work was supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (2019YFB2102100 to Jingyuan Wang) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61572059 and 71531001 to Jingyuan Wang and U1811463 to Weifeng Lv).

I thought this was proved to false myth.
It wasnt proved a myth. Scientists and doctors had said that there wasnt sufficient evidence for that assumption. Now when some research has been done using the available data, some positive conclusion has been arrived at.
Bodes well for all the tropical countries.

I thought this was proved to false myth.

It is most likely a myth. This paper is just one person's work. We have no reason to believe it is true. Like the guy conducted research based on 105 samples. That alone should be enough to discount this as rubbish. Singapore, Middle East, India, Pakistan all have plenty of cases despite temperatures touching almost 30 degrees.

Makes sense. Harder for most "disease bugs" to survive in the air at higher temps. However person to person is still possible if their is close contact...I would assume.

noone knows yet.

and even if it will die out on a surface out in the sun in 20 mins

it'll thrive in their hosts

hamare dhokebaaz cells unki full khaaterdari kar rahe bc !

I didn't read the paper but doesn't ambient moisture level also play a part?

In that case I am moving to sibbi in Pakistan....
50 c summer temperature.
You will turn into :-
OIP.6nAwOg-BLveU9KxnKyglOAHaIM

It is most likely a myth. This paper is just one person's work. We have no reason to believe it is true. Like the guy conducted research based on 105 samples. That alone should be enough to discount this as rubbish. Singapore, Middle East, India, Pakistan all have plenty of cases despite temperatures touching almost 30 degrees.

It's true that Corona-19 life spam in open (on metal surfaces, other objects) reduce considerably in temperature over 30 deg C. However once inside a body, it's infection is unrelated to outside temperature.

It's true that Corona-19 life spam in open (on metal surfaces, other objects) reduce considerably in temperature over 30 deg C. However once inside a body, it's infection is unrelated to outside temperature.

There is no evidence of that. Like this study was conducted based on 105 samples. That is a joke.

Back
Top Bottom