What's new

Brain Drain

FlyingEagle

Reaction score
For those who don't understand "Brain Drain"........You born in a country. Become a doctor or engineer and left the country for heigher studies and not come back to your country. Monthly you send money to your family and feel relaxed that you did your duty.

I want to clear this point via this fourm Why we are not doing progress? Why Pakistan has People like Z, and many others in the ruling position? Why we are taking loans and all that? One of its reason is Brain Drain. The countries like our's has many genious but they left it and never come back.

Different views are welcomed.

It is because the Good Brains are not welcomed here in Pakistan. I know my family members who left country to be Electronic and Civil Engineers and Doctors in other parts of the world.

Its all about money$$$

I want to clear this point via this fourm Why we are not doing progress? Why Pakistan has People like Z, and many others in the ruling position? Why we are taking loans and all that? One of its reason is Brain Drain. The countries like our's has many genious but they left it and never come back.

No, thats being emotional and your'e not taking in reality.

A Brain does not get you elected as a PM or etc. in Pakistan.

Money, however does, money makes money.

The ordinary people are blessed with poverty, they can only make do day to day survival, how can a hungry stomach think poetry?

Only those who suffer pain and misery can feel it for others, that is why you cannot expect from a rich golden spoon born Ameer Zada to feel your nation's suffering, misery and ruin.

Only the good at heart or the normal average Pakistani can do so.

But how can they change the prevailing situation here when election, campaign and all that requires money??

Here is your solution:

1) Give me an electoral process without money and I will give you simple honest leaders.

2) Remove illiteracy and people will know who to choose

3) Remove the feudal system and there will be no manipulation

:argh::argh:

.....................more later on :lol:

One should learn, get education and have to stay here and create such an oppertunities for the coming generation. I know the brains are not been given the worth which they actually deserve. But that doesn't mean one should leave the country and say good bye because of No light, no sanitary, Pethatic education system, less money, more work bla bla bla. A good example is

"A son left his mother alone in a home because there are so many mosquitos at that place where she lives. Now he is at a very comfortable place and send her a handsome amount every month via drafts. The old lady save those drafts into her cupboard and think these are the letters of his son. One day the old lady died and the son get this news and ask to one of his relative that I'm sending another draft please arrange the funeral. I'm not getting any seat."

No, thats being emotional and your'e not taking in reality.

A Brain does not get you elected as a PM or etc. in Pakistan.

Money, however does, money makes money.

The ordinary people are blessed with poverty, they can only make do day to day survival, how can a hungry stomach think poetry?

Only those who suffer pain and misery can feel it for others, that is why you cannot expect from a rich golden spoon born Ameer Zada to feel your nation's suffering, misery and ruin.

Only the good at heart or the normal average Pakistani can do so.

But how can they change the prevailing situation here when election, campaign and all that requires money??

Here is your solution:

1) Give me an electoral process without money and I will give you simple honest leaders.

2) Remove illiteracy and people will know who to choose

3) Remove the feudal system and there will be no manipulation

:argh::argh:

.....................more later on :lol:

Well I don't know are u a muslim or not.

Allah Almighty says "The leaders we place are the same as the public". How many of us worked for complete 8 hours in the office? and there are so other things that we did. We should be sincere and honest to our country and ourself. The problem is this the persons are not available in this country, who has the ability to guide people. The main brains already left Pakistan and many are in process.:frown:

In Pakistan you cannot get into government just with education.By that anology we would have a very stable government now.In Pakistan you have to be smart enough to fool the masses to get the votes.Also, not to mention you have to be a big hypocrite to join choor (political) party.I can tell you this, we have more then enough educated people within the country but much less opportunities.

Personally, i think it's pathetic for people to forsake their own country in "search of a better life" abroad. Especially, when - in India - the government provides subsidized education for them in institutions like the IIT, IIMs, etc.

Brain drain was something that we had to deal with a lot in the 80s and 90s. However, because of India's booming economy, a lot of these NRIs are coming back to India.

I do not think it is wrong for a human to seek betterment in life for himself & for the next generations.

While the young may have romantic ideas about ' giving back' to the land , it is also for the "land' to make things conducive for those who learn to remain. Red tape, corruption etc all add to the disenchantment.

Who would like to leave his land unless there are major compulsions ?

its the trend specially in Pakistan and India. The developed countries are developed because its people didn't left it. In the beigning they also start from less money and more work and the result is infront of us. They didn't sattle in any other country except some of them. Britishers came to the sub continent. At that time it was named as Golden Sparrow they did their work and went back. No one is sattled here.

This topic is close to my heart as I am one of those who left the country after studying abroad and I can tell you why.

After completing studies and working for one year at the National Engineering Laboratories. East Kilbride, Glasgow, I decided that I must return to Pakistan and serve my country. I was barely 24 years old at that time and an idealist.

This was 1967, in the heydays of Ayub Khan and I had no difficulty in landing a good job in the oil industry. Esso (now Exxon Mobil) was a very good company with generous pay packet and plenty of opportunities for advancement for an ambitious young man.

Settling back in Pakistan after 4 years abroad was not easy. At that time even getting a telephone connection to one’s home was a privilege. There were other smaller irritants such as one had to use an agent to get one’s car taxed. Nevertheless, after a year or so I became a Karachiite and learned to use the system; I was quite happy. Having married a Karachi girl and doing very well in the job;
life was good for the next 6 years. I became a manager at the tender age of 30 with a year and a half's stint with Esso in USA and Canada; I had no intentions of ever migrating abroad.

Things however changed drastically after the 1971 war and onset of ZA Bhutto era. There was double digit inflation and a ban on car imports causing almost doubling of the used car prices overnight. Pak Rupee was devalued by two thirds. Working environment took a turn for the worse when Esso sold their assets in Pakistan. ESSO was merged with Pakistan National Company and Dawood Petroleum and became PSO. Merit went to the dogs and any one with PPP affiliation could get a recommendation for lateral entry. This included one Mr. Qazi from Larkana, whose only relationship was that ZA Bhutto’s family used to buy petrol from his Service Station. This gentleman was reporting to me directly. I was asked by my new boss (who was also appointed directly as GM Retail Sales because he was brother of the second wife of Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi) not to give him any work because he had very high connections. The person was subsequently given a company car and also a separate office.

Regret to say that democracy in Pakistan brought nepotism, ethnicity and corruption at a massive scale. One PPP worker from Lahore came to me for the grant of an Esso Petrol Pump franchise. He himself told me that he had managed to get the contract for supplying meat to the Lahore Zoo and now wanted to own a petrol pump.

At least half a dozen of my Pakistani friends have similar stories to tell. I have traveled to Pakistan to attend funerals for my uncles and aunts. Therefore when I read posts such as disturbed by ‘Mosquitoes’ and people sending a bank draft on their mother's death, I feel deeply hurt.

These stories are mostly heresay, overseas Pakistanis have as much love for their motherland country as those who are left behind. No one will deny that advancement opportunities in Pakistan are few and far between. Not having strong family connection, ordinary mortal like me, have a very hard time.

Do you really blame engineers and doctors who refuse to return? Leaving one’s homeland may not a solution but is definitely a cure for the ills of poverty. Looking at another way, overseas Pakistanis not only send huge amount of badly needed foreign exchange, they also indirectly provide opportunity to other Pakistanis by not competing in the local job market.

Last edited:
I have a say:
Every country exports products. These products are either specialty of that country or is produced in great quantity in that country or something that is required more outside than in that country.

What is Pakistan's product? Wheat? Sugar Cane? Cotton?
I tell you... Its human resource. Since every country exports its products than Pakistan should exports men too in order to get foreign exchange, provide jobs, etc etc.

But the issue is that there should be a criteria for sending humans abroad. This criteria should involve keeping the Minds at shore and sending others outside.

Also, the human export can be done using the latest techniques "Out Sourcing" and "Off Shoring".

There are two aspects to the brain drain:

First, why do people leave Pakistan? It's almost a rhetorical question because most Pakistanis already know the answer. If successive governments haven't been able to provide any governance in public services, law enforcement, corruption, etc., don't be surprised if people say enough is enough. Many of these problems are not unique to Pakistan, they exist even in the West, but little things do add up. Also, many expats actually want to return to Pakistan if only the everyday situation would improve to a bearable level.

Secondly, the brain drain is not necessarily a bad thing. Expats can provide enormous benefits back to their motherland. They can earn relatively big money in the rich countries and invest/donate the money back home. Pakistani doctors in the US raised over a million dollars for the earthquake relief efforts. India and China have benefitted tremendously from their expat communities. Often the non-financial contributions are more important: expat Indians have made tremendous inroads in Western media from where they promote Indian propaganda.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom