What's new

Bollywood enters China to slay trade deficit

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
Bollywood enters China to slay trade deficit; Dhoom-3’s mega release part of plan

bollywood-enters-china-to-slay-trade-deficit-dhoom-3s-mega-release-part-of-plan.jpg

The B'wood solution to trade deficit, ministry officials feel, will have a good start with a 200-screen release of Aamir Khan-starrer Dhoom 3 in China on July 26.
NEW DELHI: No point only making a song and dance about India's large trade deficit with China — $35 billion in 2013-14, up from just $1.08 billion in 2001-02 — why not sell more of India's songs and dances to try and reduce the trade gap.

The commerce ministry is spearheading this effort to sell more Bollywood hits to China, and to do that it is working with China's official state film importer, China Film Group Corporation.

The Bollywood solution to trade deficit, ministry officials feel, will have a good start with a 200-screen release of Aamir Khanstarrer Dhoom 3 in China on July 26. The movie grossed Rs 500 crore in India, and much hope is pinned on it creating a big market for Indian movies in China.

Bid to boost services eExports to China

China is slated to become the world's largest movie market next year, displacing the US. Selling films will boost India's service exports to China — Sino-Indian services trade is only around $1 billion now, and is set to double next year.

China currently agrees to buy five films from India annually. But India hasn't sold that many per year. Last year, China imported more films (80) globally than its WTO commitment (34). So, Indian officials are hopeful "right films" will get Chinese officials interested.

Kangana Ranaut-starrer Queen and Farhan Akhtar's Bhaag Milkha Bhaag were shown to a select audience in China last week. Indian officials feel these are two films that China can be persuaded to import as well.

"We will line up a range of films for the president of China Film Group Corporation (CFGC) to choose from, who will visit India in October. Our assessment is they are willing to take 2-3 films from India this time. We will offer Queen and Bhaag Milkha Bhaag among others for a commercial release in China," said a commerce department official. Only state-owned CFGC is authorised to import foreign films into China.

Meetings with leading film production houses, Viacom18, Zee, Eros International and Reliance Entertainment have already been lined up for the CFGC official.

China follows three criteria for movie selection: technology, content and culture. So a foreign film is screened if it is "technologically sound", has "good content" and represents a "different culture".

The commerce ministry is also jointly commissioning a study with the Indian film industry to understand the tastes and trends of the Chinese film industry, and offer films "more suitable for the audience there", the official quoted earlier said.

Bollywood productions Veer, Krrish and My Name is Khan were screened in China, but did not get a good response from the audience. "We need to see movies from the Chinese context. We will offer films that will meet the requirements of the Chinese market," said the official.

Foreign film sales constitute only 15% of China's film market, and of that small proportion most are Hollywood films. Non-Hollywood foreign films compete for only around 1.5% of China's vast film market. Last week, a delegation from India led by CII, along with government officials, visited China to enhance the two-way services trade.

Representatives from entertainment companies — including Viacom18, Eros International and Zee Entertainment were a part of it.

Source:- Bollywood enters China to slay trade deficit; Dhoom-3’s mega release part of plan - The Economic Times

Good to see Bollywood is getting new market.

Chinese people will soon get taste of spicy movies.

Dhoom 3? They couldn't find a better movie to export?

I burst out laughing in the cinema hall because of how idiotic it was.

Haha. I agree. It's better to not export anything than to export pure garbage!

Dhoom 3 is not a good movie :sick:
Bollywood should focus on Quality and Acting instead of Make-Up and Killing guys with 1 punch Shit :hitwall:

every buddy like Bollywood......we can see Hindi movie in Indonesia on first day of release.....tons of Hindi movie is being telecast on national television in Indonesia....apart from Hindi movie new Mahabharata,krishna and Mahadev serial is also telecasting in national television in Indonesia.....Indonesia also has Hugh market

only problem is new movie is coming with subtitle in bhasha not daubing,so people doesn't pay too much interest ......if they will release movie with dubbing in Malay .....it will capture more market ......and will get benefit in three country Singapore,Malaysia and Indonesia.......every buddy understand Malay in Indonesia,Singapore and Malaysia .........

Bollywood is so popular here.........i don't understand why they are not targeting this region very aggressively

Last edited:
every buddy like Bollywood......we can see Hindi movie in Indonesia on first of release.....tons of Hindi movie is being telecast on national television in Indonesia....apart from Hindi movie new Mahabharata,krishna and Mahadev serial is also telecasting in national television in Indonesia.....Indonesia also has Hugh market

only problem is new movie is coming with subtitle in bhasha not daubing,so people doesn't pay too much interest ......if they will release movie with dubbing in Malay .....it will capture more market ......and will get benefit in three country Singapore,Malaysia and Indonesia.......every buddy understand Malay in Indonesia,Singapore and Malaysia .........

Bollywood is so popular here.........i don't understand why they are not targeting this region very aggressively

Yes indeed - good quality dubbing of Bollywood movies in the local language in overseas market is the key to success! While I agree that some the Bollywood movies look just idiotic making a mockery out of the theme (like Dhoom 3 :p:) but still movies like Queen and Bhaag Milkha Bhaag type are just awesome!

Really?
Is that all we have :lol:

And even Dhoom 3 :rofl: ?!

The only good thing about that movie was Katrina Kaif in the ENDCREDITS

Really?
Is that all we have :lol:

And even Dhoom 3 :rofl: ?!

The only good thing about that movie was Katrina Kaif in the ENDCREDITS
Bhai Katrina ke toh usme scene hi chaar the saari film toh Aamir ke bakwas action me chali gayi..
Saala aajkal toh South Indian movies inse achi lagti hai

bollywood produces at the most 2-3 good movies a year and i am being very kind here:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What you people forget is that the shit Bollywood produces is actually its USP...
The song and dance we despise is what makes it unique and magical to non-Indians..
The Melodrama and escapist nature of Bollywood films are indeed what makes them so popular in many war torn and post communist nations in Eastern Europe..
If they want good stories, there is always Hollywood.

@he-man , @kbd-raaf , @naveen mishra , @Chanakya's_Chant , @Indian Jaat , @Time To Scoot , @[USER=147905]liall , @IND151

I have quite a few chinese friends here in Singapore .

and as I understand from them ...they do watch bollywood movies dubbed in Chinese /English often .

Movies like 3 idiots , Oh my god were quite a hit with Chinese students ....

Slumdog millionaire ( although it's not a Bollywood movie ) has ignited new interest about Indian movies.

This is the right time to enter Chinese entertainment market when China is looking to spend it's hard earned money in novel ways .

I hope they start with quality movies .[/USER]

@he-man , @kbd-raaf , @naveen mishra , @Chanakya's_Chant , @Indian Jaat , @Time To Scoot , @[USER=147905]liall , @IND151

I have quite a few chinese friends here in Singapore .

and as I understand from them ...they do watch bollywood movies dubbed in Chinese /English often .

Movies like 3 idiots , Oh my god were quite a hit with Chinese students ....

Slumdog millionaire ( although it's not a Bollywood movie ) has ignited new interest about Indian movies.

This is the right time to enter Chinese entertainment market when China is looking to spend it's hard earned money in novel ways .

I hope they start with quality movies .[/USER]
I am not saying that Bollywood should not enter into Chinese market. I am saying that Dhoom 3 is a Shitty and other movies deserve more like 3 idiots and other awesome movies but a big NO to movies like Dhoom 3, Himatwala, Joker, Khiladi 786 all are full of crap.

Back
Top Bottom