What's new

Boeing to deliver the P8I maritime surveillance aircraft to India from July

Zapper

Reaction score
Country
India
The lot of four Boeing P8I maritime surveillance aircraft, which will further widen the arc of Indian Navy operations, is expected to start arriving in phases as per the contractual schedule commencing in July. In the US, the defence manufacturing industry is part of the essential works. The work, so far, is on as per the schedule, the Ministry of Defence has been informed.
1_img117420205649.jpg

“The contract stipulated supplies to commence from July 2020,” sources said. Once the lockdown ends in India, matters will be known better.

From April 20 onwards, the forces will start working with 50 per cent staff and then onwards the procurements cells will start functioning.

Indian Navy has been using the Boeing P8I planes since 2013 and now has a fleet of eight. Four more are to be added over the next 18 months or so.

The P8I is a long range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR), but carries anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and anti-ship strike abilities. The planes are used for patrolling the Sea Lanes of Communication (SLOC’s) extending east and west of peninsular India.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/boeing-to-deliver-aircraft-from-july-72337

The lot of four Boeing P8I maritime surveillance aircraft, which will further widen the arc of Indian Navy operations, is expected to start arriving in phases as per the contractual schedule commencing in July. In the US, the defence manufacturing industry is part of the essential works. The work, so far, is on as per the schedule, the Ministry of Defence has been informed.
1_img117420205649.jpg

“The contract stipulated supplies to commence from July 2020,” sources said. Once the lockdown ends in India, matters will be known better.

From April 20 onwards, the forces will start working with 50 per cent staff and then onwards the procurements cells will start functioning.

Indian Navy has been using the Boeing P8I planes since 2013 and now has a fleet of eight. Four more are to be added over the next 18 months or so.

The P8I is a long range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR), but carries anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and anti-ship strike abilities. The planes are used for patrolling the Sea Lanes of Communication (SLOC’s) extending east and west of peninsular India.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/boeing-to-deliver-aircraft-from-july-72337

6000 miles radius ... Great capability for Indian navy.

Boeing doesn't get paid until the aircraft is officially handed over to India. Boeing needs the money so the aircraft will be delivered come hell or high water.

P8I is an awesome aircraft
It's surveillance capabilities are impressive not just over the seas but also over land .
Our former army chief had heaped praise on them for their role in keeping an eye on China during the Doklam stand off

The Navy had asked for 10 additional P8I over the 12 already inducted or on order.

But due to budget issues , MOD approved only 6 more, that too because our 5 IL38 Seadragon ASW aircrafts have completed their full airframe life and would require extensive overhaul to be viable option post 2020

does this include E-2C Hawkeye?

Hawk eye is an awacs radar
While P8I are mainly Maritime strike and surveillance aircrafts

While they do carry advance radars and EW equipment, that's mainly meant for self defence rather than guiding combat operations.

Indian Navy currently has 9 Ka31 AEW helicopters and plans to acquire 8-10 more units of the same

1_img117420205649.jpg

Great!, when are the Globalhawks coming??

18 P8s armed with Air launched Harpoons Block II, other depth charger bombs along with MH60 Romeo and other ASW platforms will give Indian navy the most advance ASW capability in Asia... even above Japan and South Korea....

Pakistan will soon match up ateast to protect its water. We did detected your 2 subs in 2016 and 2019

Yes China will definitely supply with comparable ASW systems to Pakistan since you both are strategic allies... Apart from that strong and advance Pakistan navy is need for China too as they have invested so much in Gwadar and OPEC....thats the worrisome situation as we will see naval arms race soon....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom