What's new

Boeing offers KC-46 tanker to India

KC-46A Technical Specifications
Width 156 ft 1 in (47.5 m)
Length 165 ft 10 in (50.5 m)
Height 52 ft 10 in (16.1 m)
Engines Two Pratt & Whitney PW 4062 with 62,000 lbf (289.13 kN) thrust
Maximum Takeoff Weight 415,000 lbs (188,241 kg)
Maximum Landing Weight 310,000 lbs (140,614 kg)
Fuel Capacity 212,299 lbs (96,265 kg)
Maximum Air Speed .86 Mach (650 mph)

A 330 MRTT

Cruise Speed Mach 0.86
Range 8,000 nm (14800 km)
Service Ceiling 41,500 ft (12.6 km)
Max Operating Altitude (refuelling) 35,000 ft (10.7 km)
Refuelling System Boom and Drogue
Max Passenger Capacity 266 passengers
Max Cargo Capacity 82,000 lbs (37,000 kg)
Engines 2 Rolls-Royce Trent 772B
Wing Span 198 ft 10 in (60.3 m)
Overall Length 193 ft 7 in (58.8 m)
Overall Height 57 ft (17.4 m)
Max Fuel Weight 245,000 lbs (111,000 kg)

India wanted a more advanced engine, not just FADEC, but a brand new engine designed and built from scratch. It's because the PS-90s cannot relight at high altitudes, which is where IAF mostly operates. So the IAF is not happy with these engines. In fact, none of the current generation engines can do what the IAF wanted the IL-214 to do.

Either way, spending money on developing it wouldn't have been fruitful if all we were getting is old gen stuff. The purpose of entering JVs for India is new technologies, the IL-214 does not provide that. So withdrawing from the JV wasn't a loss for us in any way. We will have to look for other sources for tech, like the new JV between Reliance and Antonov.

http://indianexpress.com/article/bu...ce-ties-up-with-three-ukranian-firms-2777102/
the ps-90 would still have worked and i said india wanted fadec controlls after they realised they cant get engines "ready" in time and are about 20kn short in power as compared to the ps-90.

a jv between reliance and antonov.............hehehe they have 2 more ventures with turkey and saudi arabia.
the an-132 being the most fruitful as the saudis are funding it and have made orders for it too. and the turks want help the the dornier 328
urkraine is desperate for money with their legs wide open with a sign next to it saying name your price and ill take it.
quiet a shame there the only country who can make good engine. give them enough money i wont be suprised if they give that away too. they already want to build engines in china

the ps-90 would still have worked and i said india wanted fadec controlls after they realised they cant get engines "ready" in time and are about 20kn short in power as compared to the ps-90.

a jv between reliance and antonov.............hehehe they have 2 more ventures with turkey and saudi arabia.
the an-132 being the most fruitful as the saudis are funding it and have made orders for it too. and the turks want help the the dornier 328
urkraine is desperate for money with their legs wide open with a sign next to it saying name your price and ill take it.
quiet a shame there the only country who can make good engine. give them enough money i wont be suprised if they give that away too. they already want to build engines in china

What is the point you want to make buddy.

just countering him thats all and how india decision to move away from the 214 was a bad idea.
long time no see.

Our nation is cursed , to never have an efficient defence procurement system.

So untill its something good , everything's normal.

Our nation is cursed , to never have an efficient defence procurement system.

So untill its something good , everything's normal.
ok, i remember reading a post of yours on the should india worry over china fast growing ac project.
it seems you dont have confidence in indias procurement/development process. how do you think we feel when @$$holes reduce the number of ships by half. we were supposed to get 12 type 45 but got 6 the order for type 26 was reduced too. our ailing steel industry is collapsing and the mod buys steel from sweden and france for new tanks and subs?

Last edited:
ok, i remember reading a post of yours on the should india worry over china t growing ac project.
it seems you dont have confidence in indias procurement process. how do you think we feel when @$$holes reduce the number of ships by half. we were supposed to get 12 type 45 but got 6 the order for type 26 was reduced too. our ailing steel industry is collapsing and the mod buys steel from sweden and france for new tanks and subs?

On India's procurement policy , I don't lament big things not happening, I lament smaller , easier things postponed, again and again.

On UK , we can actually go on lament on a lot of things. But then UK also has " NATO" .The shrink was always going to happen , but excessive liberalism , accelerated it.

There are things which according to me can make life of UK Defence forces easier. Without too much money. Like going for more OPVs, I was reading about the number of commitments RN has. And it's a long long list. OPVs will solve a lot of them.

Further cost saving can be done if UK and USA collaborate on SSBN project.

And yes, I hope the UK government atleast puts Ocean up for grabs for some time, before scrapping it. RN has been too strict about the years of service of warship.

On India's procurement policy , I don't lament big things not happening, I lament smaller , easier things postponed, again and again.

On UK , we can actually go on lament on a lot of things. But then UK also has " NATO" .The shrink was always going to happen , but excessive liberalism , accelerated it.

There are things which according to me can make life of UK Defence forces easier. Without too much money. Like going for more OPVs, I was reading about the number of commitments RN has. And it's a long long list. OPVs will solve a lot of them.

Further cost saving can be done if UK and USA collaborate on SSBN project.

And yes, I hope the UK government atleast puts Ocean up for grabs for some time, before scrapping it. RN has been too strict about the years of service of warship.
indeed
india has more to lose though. they have china up north and pakistan to the west.
china just does it and does not mess around at all. the pakistanis are similar but there a higher chance of corruption and thats it. the speed of procurement is not as fast but way faster than india. all they need is money.

our ssbn will likely use tech of the astutes whilst the same will apply as they will use tech of the later virginia class subs i think block iv+

Back
Top Bottom