Boeing gets three-year deal for maintenance of Navy's P-8I fleet

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Boeing gets three-year deal for maintenance of Navy's P-8I fleet

boeing-gets-3-year-deal-for-maintenance-of-navys-p-8i-fleet.jpg

NEW DELHI: US aircraft manufacturer Boeing has received a three-year contract for continuing its support for maintenance of the Indian Navy's fleet of P-8I maritime patrol aircraft, the company said today.

In addition to field and logistics service representatives, the contract, which was received early this month, includes engineering support and planning.

The scope will also include robust material support, including a 737-based component services programme, which will be executed in conjunction with Boeing Commercial Aviation Services' Fleet Services division.

"With this contract, the Indian Navy can be assured of achieving exceptional operational capability and readiness of the P-8I fleet," said Pratyush Kumar, president of Boeing India and vice president of Boeing International.

The contract continues the service Boeing provides under the programme's current initial production contract, scheduled to expire in October.

The Indian Navy operates eight P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft at INS Rajali located near Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu.

Boeing is also contracted to deliver four additional P-8I aircraft to the Indian Navy. Deliveries will begin in 2020.

Apart from P-8Is, Boeing has also supplied C-17 Globemaster III transport planes to the Indian Air Force and will soon deliver 22 AH-64 Apache (advance attack helicopter) and 15 CH-47 Chinook (heavy lift helicopter) to the Air Force.

It is not always the purchase of foreign maal where India bleeds, it is also the maintenance contracts which run into millions of dollars.

It is not always the purchase of foreign maal where India bleeds, it is also the maintenance contracts which run into millions of dollars.

Maintenance contracts should be handed over to local workshops which will help us save millions, right?

Good move.
Maintenance contracts to OEM actually saves money.
One doesn't need to carry inventory charges for spares and at the same time is assured of service by qualified personnel with OEM standing guarantees for the work.
IAF can focus on operational aspects rather than groundwork.

Good move.
One doesn't need to carry inventory charges for spares and at the same time is assured of service by qualified personnel with OEM standing guarantees for the work.

Spares come flying to India via DHL which costs arm & leg. Hefty contract fees aside.
But never mind, India is filthy rich.
And wait, poor navy must pay 30% customs on that.
Rofol India.

And wait, poor navy must pay 30% customs

First it was your nationality then this, seems like you are jumbling up everything. Indian armed forces doesn't have to pay a single penny as customs. Its idiotic to think the Govt first charges itself tax then pays itself that amount.

Spares come flying to India via DHL which costs arm & leg. Hefty contract fees aside.
Its not like that.
I've had experience of managing 500 Mwe+ Steam turbines and generators and from that experience i'll share how it is done.
Large items in industry, be it Turbo generating systems, Transformers, Ships, Aircraft, locomotives have requirement of maintenance based on schedules or condition based or breakdown based. A common denominator is availability of these systems to perform duty and this requires downtime to be reduced to absolute minimum.
Needless to say, maintenance strategies are planned around that principle of increasing availability by:
a. Preventive Maintenance (of different time schedules)
b. Replacing some sub-assemblies on a fixed time or service duration interval. Examples of it could be replacement of Oil filters, Sealing elements, electronic cards, cooling modules, complete engine assemblies (for aircrafts), Hydraulic components etc. This replacement is based on average failure time of a sub-component and its impact on overall system reliability. While this incurs cost, it ensures that the system is available with guarantee
my-maintenance-philosophies-1-728.jpg
machinery-vibration-analysis-and-maintenance-3-638.jpg

Now when you have a large number of operating entities (be it aircrafts, locomotives, TG sets etc), you need to carry a fixed inventory of spares to schedule above maintenance. this inventory adds to your running cost. also one needs to keep a pool of trained man-power for such a maintenance and its wage bill is another cost.
So when such a maintenance is out-sourced, you automatically take care of inventory cost, for the risk and cost part is now transferred to OEM.
In above case, since Boeing is OEM and has is responsible for all P8 fleet globally, it is of lesser cost implication to it, for maintaining inventory of spares. Also it has that skill set to take on repairs and overhauling as decided.
Clearly, the decision to involve Boeing in upkeep of P8i fleet is a wise one as demonstrated by similar practices elsewhere in industry.
@MilSpec Sir, you may want to share your experience in aerospace industry on this aspect.
@SpArK

India is filthy rich.
i certainly am not the right person to comment on this part.

Its not like that.
I've had experience of managing 500 Mwe+ Steam turbines and generators and from that experience i'll share how it is done.
Large items in industry, be it Turbo generating systems, Transformers, Ships, Aircraft, locomotives have requirement of maintenance based on schedules or condition based or breakdown based. A common denominator is availability of these systems to perform duty and this requires downtime to be reduced to absolute minimum.
Needless to say, maintenance strategies are planned around that principle of increasing availability by:
b. Replacing some sub-assemblies on a fixed time or service duration interval. Examples of it could be replacement of Oil filters, Sealing elements, electronic cards, cooling modules, complete engine assemblies (for aircrafts), Hydraulic components etc. This replacement is based on average failure time of a sub-component and its impact on overall system reliability. While this incurs cost, it ensures that the system is available with guarantee
View attachment 405028 View attachment 405029
Now when you have a large number of operating entities (be it aircrafts, locomotives, TG sets etc), you need to carry a fixed inventory of spares to schedule above maintenance. this inventory adds to your running cost. also one needs to keep a pool of trained man-power for such a maintenance and its wage bill is another cost.
So when such a maintenance is out-sourced, you automatically take care of inventory cost, for the risk and cost part is now transferred to OEM.
In above case, since Boeing is OEM and has is responsible for all P8 fleet globally, it is of lesser cost implication to it, for maintaining inventory of spares. Also it has that skill set to take on repairs and overhauling as decided.
Clearly, the decision to involve Boeing in upkeep of P8i fleet is a wise one as demonstrated by similar practices elsewhere in industry.
@MilSpec Sir, you may want to share your experience in aerospace industry on this aspect.
@SpArK

You missed on my thrust, which was that of India, a low income country splurging in massive defense purchases which are imported and paid customs duty thereupon.
tem56t5t6y.png

India's budget is already stretched, it is spending more than it collects.
It has a budget deficit, BOP deficit, CAD deficit etc etc....How will it balance its books.

Thats why I ironically said the following for which you have no answers:
India is filthy rich.

Is it good for any nation to spend beyond means?

If India were filthy rich, no such questions would be asked anyway.

You missed on my thrust, which was that of India, a low income country splurging in massive defense purchases which are imported and paid customs duty thereupon.
View attachment 405031
India's budget is already stretched, it is spending more than it collects.
It has a budget deficit, BOP deficit, CAD deficit etc etc....How will it balance its books.

Thats why I ironically said the following for which you have no answers:
India is filthy rich.

Is it good for any nation to spend beyond means?

If India were filthy rich, no such questions would be asked anyway.

Have you even read the news article? Do even know why custom was levied on those mig fighters?

And yes, cumulatively, India is rich, infact the 7th richest in the world.
Now you will find the per capita excuse, in that case 100 million USD, comes out to be 7cents for each Indian. Happy now?

Maintenance contracts should be handed over to local workshops which will help us save millions, right?

India cannot even maintain its commercial Boeing aircraft in India :lol:

They go to either Dubai or Singapore for the MRO.

And here you are fantasizing about an MRO for Military Boeing aircrafts :P ........ get real kid.

Good move.

LOL...... forget about supply chain, India does not even have a basic service repair shop for Boeing or Airbus aircraft's in India :lol:

Boeing is going to maintain these aircrafts for the next 50-60 years and make Billions out of this deal.

IAF does not even keep a OEM inventory of Su 30 MKI from HAL, that is why they have such low serviceability rates. That has hopefully changed during Parrikar's reign.

Its not like that.
@SpArK

Boeing aircrafts needs Minimum to zero maintenance for the first 3 years.

LOL at the "OFFSET" they were supposed to provide to India :lol:

Straight from the horses mouth since I work with Boeing.
So you are suggesting that a Boeing aircraft requires virtually zero effort and cost on its upkeep for certain amount of time.
Incredible, i wish they could make Turbines and pumps like that.

So you are suggesting that a Boeing aircraft requires virtually zero effort and cost on its upkeep for certain amount of time.
Incredible, i wish they could make Turbines and pumps like that.

Even my home air conditioner needs servicing twice a year. But it is not going to need any major repair or part change.

Even a new car needs servicing the first year, but the cost is minimal.

There is smart and then there is over smart.

Sorry man, I am not going to waste my time on the member you quoted.
Its not like that.
@SpArK

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom