What's new

Boeing expects India’s P-8I order to increase to as many as 30 units

MINK

Reaction score
Country
India
P-8I-Boeing.jpg

SEATTLE — Boeing expects India’s P-8I order to increase to as many as 30 units, citing the Indian navy and coast guard’s interest in multimission aircraft.

Under a $2 billion contract signed in 2009, Boeing will deliver eight of the long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft to India starting in the first half of 2013, with an option for four more. India has been the first international customer for the P-8I, which is a variant of the U.S. Navy’s P-8A Poseidon.

“With 7,500 kilometers of coastline, and with three aircraft carriers, the Indian navy is going to have a tremendous need for . . . maritime and surveillance aircraft. . . .So we expect that once the navy starts using the P-8I the demand may go up to 30 or more,” says Carl Lang, Boeing’s P-8I program manager.

The P-8A Poseidon, based on a Boeing 737-800 airliner, is set to replace the U.S. Navy’s P-3 Orion turboprop. The U.S. Navy has ordered an initial batch of 13 and ultimately plans to buy 117 jets. The first ones are set to enter operational service next year.

The Indian version has two unique components not on the P-8A—an aft radar and a magnetic anomaly detector fixed on the tail that can distinguish between an enemy submarine and a whale, Lang says.

The P-8I’s enhanced internal fuel tanks will allow it to fly 1,100 km (683.5 mi.) to a patrol area, remain on station for up to 6 hr., and then fly back to its base.

Two P-8s meant for India already have undergone test flights and weapon trials are expected shortly. Anti-ship Harpoon missiles, Mark 82 depth bombs and Mark 54 anti-submarine torpedoes will be mounted on the aircraft.

According to Boeing officials, Harpoon production already has begun and the weapons will be delivered in June/July 2013. Weapons trials are likely to begin in the second quarter of 2013.

The P-8Is will operate from INS Rajali, a naval base at Arakonam, near the southern city of Chennai.

AVIATION WEEK

30 is unlikely, as IN is also scouting for a number of medium range marine recon platforms.

I think we don't need that much,also it is very costly.
below 20 will be enough.

Andaman - 6
Mumbai- 4
kochi -4
lakshadweep- 2
Vizag -4

keeping east and west 10:10

a combination of Global Hawk will be deadly.

30 is unlikely, as IN is also scouting for a number of medium range marine recon platforms.

It is very likely, IN has unoffically said they are looking to get 24 full P-8Is by 2020 and a similar number of MRMPAs which could well end up beeing the "diet" version of the P-8I.

below 20 will be enough.

Andaman - 6
Mumbai- 4
kochi -4
lakshadweep- 2
Vizag -4

below 20 will be enough.

Andaman - 6
Mumbai- 4
kochi -4
lakshadweep- 2
Vizag -4

If you want 20-25 platforms then you need 25-30 platforms in your inventory due to maintenance cycles- you will never have 100% fleet readiness. And, no offence, but what information is you assesment based on? Do you think you know better than the IN?

If you want 20-25 platforms then you need 25-30 platforms in your inventory due to maintenance cycles- you will never have 100% fleet readiness. And, no offence, but what information is you assesment based on? Do you think you know better than the IN?
nothing like that i was just guessing :fie:
what else can we do . :enjoy:

It is very likely, IN has unoffically said they are looking to get 24 full P-8Is by 2020 and a similar number of MRMPAs which could well end up beeing the "diet" version of the P-8I.

Along with high performance P-8Is, i'd like to mix a sizable number of turbo-prop driven platforms, preferably from CASA or SAAB, as they have longer endurance and their engine noise won't be picked up by Subs.

Along with high performance P-8Is, i'd like to mix a sizable number of turbo-prop driven platforms,
preferably from CASA or SAAB, as they have longer endurance and their engine noise won't be picked up by Subs.

This is a definite possibly- just depends on what IN wants and feel best fits their needs.

IN already requested RFIs for 9 such platforms for $1 billion dollars, more order shall follow.

I am aware of this and in the MRMPA race the "diet" P-8I is up against some props so it is up to the IN what platform they want.

It would be Good If US allow IN to Integrate Brahmos ALCM on P8-I Platforms. (Unlikely)

It would be Good If US allow IN to Integrate Brahmos ALCM on P8-I Platforms. (Unlikely)

It would be a bit challenging considering they would have to make some structural changes, plus I don't really see the point of putting a Cruise Missile on a Sub hunter/ Recon. Plane.

It would be a bit challenging considering they would have to make some structural changes, plus I don't really see the point of putting a Cruise Missile on a Sub hunter/ Recon. Plane.

Platforms like P8's can also Hunt Surface vessels effectively.
do some research on naval warfare Mate

I am aware of this and in the MRMPA race the "diet" P-8I is up against some props so it is up to the IN what platform they want.

So is a diet P-8I feasible within $100 million a pop price bracket? Highly unlikely, maybe US proposed a new variant of P-3C Orions with P-8Is onboard sensor systems and avionics. What say?

Platforms like P8's can also Hunt Surface vessels effectively.
do some research on naval warfare Mate

Sure but then they would have to get close about 290 km to the vessel and I am pretty sure the vessels would be armed with SAMs, so why risk our plane when the navy's other ships can do the job. Plus I think the Aircraft already comes with a weapons package.

Back
Top Bottom