What's new

Boeing CH-47 reportedly wins the heavy lift helicopter tender over Mi 26T

126 Helicopter Flight Operates 6 Mi 26 one was lost few months ago, 1 was written off during Ops Use. Most of the Time used to see them under preventative maintenance in 3BRD Chandigarh.

These Birds are pure Junk. Rationale Being -

1) 8 Rotor Blades produce so much of Lift that its IMPOSSIBLE to Land Mi26 Empty. IAF boys used to park a CFT if it were to fly with less than 8000 Kg.

2) Mi 26 needs 6-8 Hrs of service repair for each 1hr flight

3) In places like Leh, it can land but to lift was a issue specially during cold weather. This bird cannt handle High Turbulence for more than 1G deviation.

4) It consumes 4 times fuel for the same sortie done by a MI17. Remember for Daily BAU - I DONT need a 2 Ton machine.

5) Spare Parts have always been an issue with Russian.

6) Mi 26 Lacks ILS and has pure Manual landing not suitable when you are flying a 2T Hptr.

In cost to service life Ratio it is Negative. No Wonder this Bird was called as "Lala" by Hptr community

What u said was right in respect to older versions which needed 5 pilots to operate that...
But the newer version had removed all ills, u had mentioned... It needs just 2 pilots, with radars, ILS, advanced software with less maintainance etc
Currently it is the best...

What u said was right in respect to older versions which needed 5 pilots to operate that...
But the newer version had removed all ills, u had mentioned... It needs just 2 pilots, with radars, ILS, advanced software with less maintainance etc
Currently it is the best...

Can it take off from Leh with 2tone load ?

Can it handle the turbulance more than 1G ?

Do you need a machine which is difficult to land it weight less than 8K kg

Can it take off from Leh with 2tone load ?

Can it handle the turbulance more than 1G ?

Do you need a machine which is difficult to land it weight less than 8K kg

For high altitude operations, there are separate versions for helicopters available, and the IAF and army are planning to use them....
I doubt Chinook will be used for high altitude ops...

i think we should park 2-3 chinooks on our navy carrier :tup:

What for? The naval version is not in production anymore, V22s offer way more advantages in long range tactical roles and even the US naval forces prefer the CH53 for the heavy lift roles.

Both met GSQRS. We have choose the 'L1' ,that's it. As long as forces happy,we need not worry.

Does anyone know what variant of the Chinooks that India is gonna get? There are multiple variants so am not sure what India is going for.

BTW the Mi 26 is actually much bigger and much more powerful than the Chinook. The Mi 26 has been used to rescue stranded Chinooks in Afghanistan.
:)
CH-47F Chinook

For high altitude operations, there are separate versions for helicopters available, and the IAF and army are planning to use them....
I doubt Chinook will be used for high altitude ops...

Completely Disagree and Factually Incorrect

a) 12 C-130J ( 6 delivered, 6 Pending and US accepted it supply will be routed through Foreign Military sales, IAF is interested in More C-130J more orders will follow, IAF wants atleast 30-40 C-130J's. And I also expect another 4 C-130J for our Paramilitary forces etc/

In the coming years, we may well see a full-fledged C-130J production line in
India, produced by Tata Advanced Systems Laboratory (TASL) if everything goes
smooth...the Super Hercules is a very versatile bird and I can see more than a
dozen different military/civil services in India that can make use of this aircraft.

An India-based production line is inevitable. This will also bring down costs.

b) 10 C-17 Globe Masters aircraft ( 10 aircrafts confirmed, IAF may order another 10 More although media reports are stating only another 6 aircrafts will be ordered, IAF may order another 10 to bring the number to 20.)

Actually this can go up to 26-30 Globemasters.

c) 22 Apache Helicopters with advanced radars and hellfire missiles, I expect this order will go upto 50 this means another 28 helicopters.

IAF might order another 22 more, totalling 44 Apache AH-64E. But the total requirement
can be upto 60 units...its likely the Army will also get to operate its own fleet of Apaches.

d) P-8I Poseidon aircraft's ( 12 confirmed as of now but the numbers may go upto 20 or 30), Many Indian members have specified that only 20 P-8 Poseidon will be ordered 10 for eastern sector and 10 for western sector. But I Wish we have to buy 30 Aircraft.

The best part of this deal is that Indian companies got to implement our own
communication systems, DL-2 datalink, and IFF (identification friend or foes) in these
P-8I Neptune aircraft,,,so that it has no problem in operating alongside our Navy's
other Russian-built systems/aircraft.

e) Javelin anti-tank missiles, thousands of Javelin anti tank missiles are going to be delivered via foreign military sales.

Sad part is that there is no ToT...only direct off-the-shelf sale of missiles. But look at
the bright side, it can take out practically any armored vehicle put up by the
enemies.

f) 145 M777 Howitzers are going to be delivered for Indian army, I wish India could order another 155 Howitzers to replace damaged Bofors guns, I think India must also negoitate with US for the supply of M9082 Excalibur munitions, M777 will be a good alternative until our Indigenious artillery guns are inducted

The gun India will get is in fact the LW-155. The export version of the M777. The
M777 designation is only for the US forces. The thing about this gun is that it can
be easily transported to forward locations by either a C-130J or even a CH-47 Chinook
(underslung load) -

The CH-47F, an upgraded D model, first flew in 2001. The first production model was rolled out on 15 June 2006 at the Boeing facility in Ridley Park, Pennsylvania, and had its maiden flight on 23 October 2006.:bounce: The CH-47F was designed to extend the service life of the Chinook class beyond 2030. Among its upgrades are new 4,868-shaft-horsepower (3,630 kW) Honeywell engines, improved avionics, and an upgraded airframe with larger single-piece sections to reduce part count and need for fasteners. The new milled construction will reduce vibrations, eliminate points of joint flexing, and reduce the need for inspections and repairs, and reduce maintenance costs. It is also expected to increase service life. The CH-47F can fly at speeds of over 175 mph (282 km/h) with a payload of more than 21,000 lb (9.5 t). The improved avionics include a Rockwell Collins Common Avionics Architecture System (CAAS) cockpit, and BAE Systems' Digital Advanced Flight Control System (DAFCS)

Chinook mostly serve in north-east. It will speed up troop movement at critical sector.
~
ALGs should be improved to utilise it to possible extent. We may need 1 or 2 batches of chinook.

15 CH-47F Chinook coming to India ..... any good name for their Squadron like they give Vipers to C-130j ... ??? :azn:

Sad part is that there is no ToT...only direct off-the-shelf sale of missiles. But look at
the bright side, it can take out practically any armored vehicle put up by the
enemies.

Don't think we are buying it...or are we?

Back
Top Bottom