What's new

Boeing builds Super Hornet digital displays for 2015 upgrade

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
Hornet-Display-490x350.jpg

SAINT LOUIS — Boeing has designed a digital, 11 x 19-inch moving map display to install into the cockpits of its F/A-18 Super Hornets as part of the larger round of upgrades planned for the navy fighter jet.

Boeing Military Aircraft President Christopher Chadwick said Boeing expects U.S. and coalition navies involved with the F-35 program to seek F/A-18 upgrades to back fill against delays in the Joint Strike Fighter program.

Installing the Large Area Display that looks like a large, touch screen iPad is part of that upgrade package Boeing is developing. The first displays could be installed in 2015, said Philip Carder, a Boeing spokesman.

Boeing officials boast that a pilot can puncture the display’s screen with a screwdriver and expect it to keep working. Pilots can view six different screens that they can move around on the screen with a touch of their finger.

Radar screens can be manipulated to give a 3-D view of surface-to-air missile threats to account for altitude and terrain. If a pilot wants a better view of SAM threats, he can point and drag the screen to make it bigger.

Engineers have taken into account that pilots will be wearing gloves. Boeing leaders are working on streaming the feed from drones in the region directly into the cockpit, much like the Army does with its attack helicopters.

The U.S. Navy’s Super Hornet program manager did throw a bucket of cold water on potential F/A-18 upgrades at the Farnborough International Airshow this summer when he backed away a commitment from the Navy.

“The U.S. Navy has not committed to any of those yet from a domestic standpoint,” said Capt. Frank Morley in July.

WOW! :woot: What a transformation! I couldn't help but to compare the new Super Hornet's cockpit with that of a Lockheed P-38 of WWII.....

Lockheed-P-38L-Lightning-3f.jpg

WOW! :woot: What a transformation! I couldn't help but to compare the new Super Hornet's cockpit with that of a Lockheed P-38 of WWII.....

Lockheed-P-38L-Lightning-3f.jpg
I started my semicon life with the VAX...Virtual Address Extension...terminals. So I can definitely identify with that...:lol:

SAINT LOUIS — Boeing has designed a digital, 11 x 19-inch moving map display to install into the cockpits of its F/A-18 Super Hornets as part of the larger round of upgrades planned for the navy fighter jet.

Boeing Military Aircraft President Christopher Chadwick said Boeing expects U.S. and coalition navies involved with the F-35 program to seek F/A-18 upgrades to back fill against delays in the Joint Strike Fighter program.

Installing the Large Area Display that looks like a large, touch screen iPad is part of that upgrade package Boeing is developing. The first displays could be installed in 2015, said Philip Carder, a Boeing spokesman.

Boeing officials boast that a pilot can puncture the display’s screen with a screwdriver and expect it to keep working. Pilots can view six different screens that they can move around on the screen with a touch of their finger.

Radar screens can be manipulated to give a 3-D view of surface-to-air missile threats to account for altitude and terrain. If a pilot wants a better view of SAM threats, he can point and drag the screen to make it bigger.

Engineers have taken into account that pilots will be wearing gloves. Boeing leaders are working on streaming the feed from drones in the region directly into the cockpit, much like the Army does with its attack helicopters.

The U.S. Navy’s Super Hornet program manager did throw a bucket of cold water on potential F/A-18 upgrades at the Farnborough International Airshow this summer when he backed away a commitment from the Navy.

“The U.S. Navy has not committed to any of those yet from a domestic standpoint,” said Capt. Frank Morley in July.

Will INAF will look into for their next carriers of just some Mig-29Ks along with Rafael N that is going to be produced soon.
I think INAF has around 50+ MiG-29Ks and is looking to order more???
I think if Russia was clever than it might had gone for their plan of making six new N-Carriers and even sold out the current one to INAF in the name of FREE as for additional money officially for upgrade of this one as well.

Will INAF will look into for their next carriers of just some Mig-29Ks along with Rafael N that is going to be produced soon.
I think INAF has around 50+ MiG-29Ks and is looking to order more???
I think if Russia was clever than it might had gone for their plan of making six new N-Carriers and even sold out the current one to INAF in the name of FREE as for additional money officially for upgrade of this one as well.
Well this display and other upgrades were offered to the IAF on Boeings submission to the MMRCA with the advanced F-18IN SH which was the most advanced SH made and offered to anyone at that time. Hence with the N-MMRCA for the IN that is out there to procuure a new fighter for the new ACCs that will be CATOBAR configured hence the Rafale-M,F-18SH,F-35C and possibly the SeaGripen will take place.

+mate let me tell you again- there is no such thing as the INAF, the IN's aviation arm is reffered to as the Indian Naval Air Arm or NAA.

++ the Mig-29K is done wrt future orders, the IN is now looking beyond them, the MIG-29K will be used only on the VIKRAMDITYA and IAC-1 THAT IS IT, all subsequent carriers will have N-MMRCA. And given the VIKRAMDITYA issues I can't see the IN going for the an ACC from Russia ever again, not to mention the IN is looking to build up the Indian domestice ship-building industery.

them why are american wasting money on f35 if they are still making upgraded version of the old F18 i say invest on F35 its and all rounder

such digital stuff is more prone to electronic warfare....
i dont think so they have made the displays bigger ,more integrated and user friendly........ if these are not goin to stand against EW then how can you expect small MFD's,LCD screens to be,is it that if your electronics are smaller they are less prone to EW i dont think so............. i have to admit that americans are the epitome of quality, though t-50j-20 have popped up ,somehow just by seeing the pictures you can have feel that there is something special with american build quality.... apaches,f-22,f-35 have quality written all over their looks....

them why are american wasting money on f35 if they are still making upgraded version of the old F18 i say invest on F35 its and all rounder
Most likely for export purposes, similar to how Boeing still devloped the F-15 Silent Eagle despite the USAF inducting the Raptor. Not to mention the USN still plans to operate F-18s for the foreseeable future so these upgrades will be applied to them also

Back
Top Bottom