What's new

Blueprint to tackle Maoists

Bro!! Well newly issued US Marine Pattern Digital Camouflage uniform do help to a bit in jungles, a good camouflage is very important in guerilla war. By the way mostly in ops COBRA prefers camouflaged T-shirts with all other gears also camouflaged, includes sleeping bag n ropes too.

2. It usually happens bro, that such news are not published in media and if they are, it remains confined to regional media sources only. Also maoists have this protocol of not leaving dead members or weapons behind, they carry them along. They do this bcz if security forces publish pictures of their dead fellow comrade. Its lowers morale of their other cadres in other areas and which may result into lower rung of maoists fleeing away back to their own village or surrender.

3- Actually in jungles all security personnel do follow standard formation of moving, but in this case this party was actually ROP (Road Opening Party) whose motive was to clear the roads of any IED or any threat. After clearing the road by metal detector and other threats they secure the nearby areas of the road by moving 50-100 mtrs sidewards deep into the jungle, to secure any incoming threat from jungle side. After they do this, clearance is given for the convoy to move. In this incident they were clearing the roads for any IED, when a series of IED blast took place injuring many security personnel then about 300 heavly armed naxals opened indiscriminate fire of these 35 people, when they ran for the cover which is usually a deep ground or cover behind trees, maoist triggered more IEDs which they have planted in those rigged places.

I want to ask people questioning training of these martyrs, what kind of training sud be imparted, where 35 mens could take on 300 armed men.

Fair enough points mate.I've been telling that these maoist guerillas are anything but a bunch of rag-tag yahoos for a long time but no one here seemed to agree.

On a different defence forum,a retired Brigadier of Infian Army (who by the way fought in 65,71 and 99 wars and spent w lot of time in the valley) pointed out almost the exact same things as you did - that the ROP party was outnumbered beyond nuts.But how come they manage to pull this off every time??!!Is there no way to track and get advanced warning of movements of such large numbers of Naxalite sobs??
I guess we should first eliminate those *****ing JNU B@stards.And couldn't yoy guys just kill these maoist bitches at the night when they are sleeping in their villages,unarmed??Use fucking balaclavas or face masks if you need to conceal your identity!!Just round up the entire villages and burn them up and leave the blame on the maoist rats.
Oh and by the way,a question from that good Brig I mentioned earlier and I quote
"Though I personally don't know exactly what transpired at that fateful moment but one thing I couldn't get - when the patrolling party was moving down the road,why wasn't there another formation moving parallel to the ROP to prevent any attempt by the guerillas to out flank or encircle them??It's the SoP followed by Indian Army jungle warfare units.We followed this tactics both in Srilanka and NE to good effects."So here I presented you with his query.

Hope to get your reply.

Thanks....

Fair enough points mate.I've been telling that these maoist guerillas are anything but a bunch of rag-tag yahoos for a long time but no one here seemed to agree.

On a different defence forum,a retired Brigadier of Infian Army (who by the way fought in 65,71 and 99 wars and spent w lot of time in the valley) pointed out almost the exact same things as you did - that the ROP party was outnumbered beyond nuts.But how come they manage to pull this off every time??!!Is there no way to track and get advanced warning of movements of such large numbers of Naxalite sobs??
I guess we should first eliminate those *****ing JNU B@stards.And couldn't yoy guys just kill these maoist bitches at the night when they are sleeping in their villages,unarmed??Use fucking balaclavas or face masks if you need to conceal your identity!!Just round up the entire villages and burn them up and leave the blame on the maoist rats.
Oh and by the way,a question from that good Brig I mentioned earlier and I quote
"Though I personally don't know exactly what transpired at that fateful moment but one thing I couldn't get - when the patrolling party was moving down the road,why wasn't there another formation moving parallel to the ROP to prevent any attempt by the guerillas to out flank or encircle them??It's the SoP followed by Indian Army jungle warfare units.We followed this tactics both in Srilanka and NE to good effects."So here I presented you with his query.

Hope to get your reply.

Thanks....

Bro!! we cannot just go n eliminate villagers, that is just not practical. But action on these white collar communists is very important.
Talking against nation has become fashion in India. A person is not intellectual and is called aggressive if he ask for strong actions against any anti-national element, if someone suggest of talking and persuading them with love and care, then he is very intellectual.

Sometimes I feel that democracy has given too much freedom in this country this has to stop otherwise this nation would fall apart in pieces
. Everyday some new M***** F****** stands up and says they want new nation, or new state, Be it Kashmir, Entire North East, Khalistan, Andhra, Tamil Nadu, Gorkhaland everyone. Don't know what is Govt waiting for, maybe two or three states to declare them liberated.

We need a strong leadership who must take some hard decisions to save this nation, oderwise it will keep happening that a Kashmiri student may stand on Jantar Mantar and shout in TV interview that they are not Indians, n they will keep cheering Pakistan. Had they done this in Pakistan, they wud have been slaughtered then n there itself. No religion sud be above nation.

Also about strategy in jungle I wud say there was some mistake on Security personnel,s part also had they sent an advance party about hundred meter ahead through jungles, then may be only those life wud have been lost those who were in advance party.
Naxalite have this advantage that they know the routine n position of SFs, hence it makes SFs vulnerable to threat. Also naxalite have very very strong intel. They know everytime SFs move out of camp. But sooner or later these SOBs wud be taken down.

Last edited:
Bro!! we cannot just go n eliminate villagers, that is just not practical. But action on these white collar communists is very important.
Talking against nation has become fashion in India. A person is not intellectual and is called aggressive if he ask for strong actions against any anti-national element, if someone suggest of talking and persuading them with love and care, then he is very intellectual.

Sometimes I feel that democracy has given too much freedom in this country this has to stop otherwise this nation would fall apart in pieces
. Everyday some new M***** F****** stands up and says they want new nation, or new state, Be it Kashmir, Entire North East, Khalistan, Andhra, Tamil Nadu, Gorkhaland everyone. Don't know what is Govt waiting for, maybe two or three states to declare them liberated.

We need a strong leadership who must take some hard decisions to save this nation, oderwise it will keep happening that a Kashmiri student may stand on Jantar Mantar and shout in TV interview that they are not Indians, n they will keep cheering Pakistan. Had they done this in Pakistan, they wud have been slaughtered then n there itself. No religion sud be above nation.

Also about strategy in jungle I wud say there was some mistake on Security personnel,s part also had they sent an advance party about hundred meter ahead through jungles, then may be only those life wud have been lost those who were in advance party.
Naxalite have this advantage that they know the routine n position of SFs, hence it makes SFs vulnerable to threat. Also naxalite have very very strong intel. They know everytime SFs move out of camp. But sooner or later these SOBs wud be taken down.

True that man,it really seems these days that democracy has given too much unnecessary freedom to all the wrong people.
I know that killing innocent villagers is wrong and I never meant to say that.I wanted to say kill only those villagers who you people know for certain to be maoist b@stards,preferably by roasting them alive....and use masks or balaclavas to hide your identity.Like they say....No FIR,NO court/faisla on the spot.

And regarding the strategy used by the CAPF personnel,I choose not to comment since I'm no uber expert in jungle warfare.But I guess you misunderstood what the good Brig wanted to convey.He wanted to say that there should have been another patrol party (preferably bigger) PARALLEL to the ROP and say 100 meters ahead of the ROP.He wanted to say that these two groups should have been moving parallel to each other to be able to give support fire to each other, for flank protection and preventing any attempts by the guerrillas to outflank or encircle them.Which by the way was not done by the CAPF men as far as I have understood it from the limited info given out by the media.

And I would like to add one think here - probably CAPFs in insurgency hit areas should be made available with APCs and MPVs armed with HMGs and flame throwers.

And lastly I would like to ask you one thing - is there no way exists to detect such heavy guerrilla movement in the vicinity??I mean like in this recent case,maoists amassed close too 300 b@stards to ambush the ROP,no way to get an advanced warning??

Is poor mobile phone coverage putting jawans in danger? Government is falling short on telecom improvements in Naxal-hit conflict zones

article-2581347-1C4D1A9B00000578-435_634x398.jpg

Jawans, who face bullets of the Maoists, can do everything to fight the Red rebels, but without mobile phone connectivity they cannot dial an SOS when in distress deep inside the jungles.

It’s a towering problem that has plagued intelligence gathering and security operations in the Naxal-hit states of Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar and Orissa.

A project to install mobile phone towers in these areas is moving at a snail’s pace, much to the chagrin of the Union home ministry.

Even though the project to install the towers in these conflict zones was conceived in 2010, not much progress has been made.

After the Maoist attack on Congress state leadership in Chhattisgarh last year, the Union Cabinet had approved the project to install 2,199 mobile towers and June 2014 was set as the deadline to complete the task.

But, only 363 towers have been installed so far.

Lack of effective communications network in these areas has become a cause of concern for the Union Home Ministry that has been reminding the department of telecom to expedite installation of towers.

article-2581347-1C4D452600000578-819_306x457.jpg

However, these reminders have not yielded any result. A week before the recent Maoist attack in Sukma district in Chhattisgarh, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had sent yet another reminder to Kapil Sibal, Union Minister of Communications and Information Technology.

“The poor communication network in the Naxal-affected areas is a matter of serious concern,” Shinde said in the letter dated March 4.

Stressing the need to have a better communications network in place before the Lok Sabha elections, the home minister wrote that installation of mobile towers may be expedited, especially in the highly Naxal-affected states like Jharkhand, Bihar and Orissa and all-out efforts be made to complete the whole process before the Lok Sabha elections.

“The work was awarded to Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and installation and roll out of mobile towers was targeted to be completed in 12 months,” Shinde reminded in his letter.

Top government sources say it is shocking how such a basic thing such as installing mobile towers is stuck in red tape. “While there is mobile boom across the country, there are no mobile networks in conflict zones like the Naxalhit states. Such letters were also written when P Chidambaram was the home minister,” the source said.

The home ministry is miffed with the department of telecom for going slow in its project of constructing 2,199 mobile towers in troubled states.

In June last year the Cabinet had approved the project; and it was decided to expedite the work and complete it within a year. But since then nothing has changed.

The June 2014 deadline is unlikely to be met, with only 363 towers installed.

To make matters worse, an error in estimate of the Rs 3,046-budget has further delayed matters as an additional amount of Rs 789 crore is required.

Sources say even the towers that have been installed are not functioning due to maintenance issues.

Is poor mobile phone coverage putting jawans in danger? Government is falling short on telecom improvements in Naxal-hit conflict zones | idrw.org

WHY INDIA GOVERNMENT’S ANTI-NAXAL RESPONSE IS A FAILURE – ANALYSIS

There have been two attacks by the Communist Party of India-Maoist within a fortnight in Chhattisgarh, the worst left-wing extremism affected state in India. While five security force personnel were killed in the February 28 attack in Dantewada district, 16 people including 11 belonging to the Central Reserve Police Force, four belonging to the state police and a civilian were killed on March 11 in Sukma district.

With the Lok Sabha (lower house of Indian Parliament) elections beginning in less than a month, these attacks would be linked to extremist intent to escalate violence and demonstrate an ideological opposition to the political process in the country. The fact remains, however, that success of the extremists to carry out such attacks and failure of the state to prevent them underline a much deeper malaise.

Available reports indicate that a large number of Maoists (estimates ranging from 100 to 300) attacked the security force personnel, part of a 45-member security team deployed to provide security to the road construction work on National Highway 30 that connects the state capital Raipur to Sukma. Naxals surrounded the team from both sides and fired indiscriminately. Within 15 minutes, the team had been overpowered and the Naxals managed to carry away weapons and ammunition from the dead and the injured.

Coming 10 months after the May 2013 attack in Darbha in which 27 people including Congress party leaders and workers were killed, this constitutes a major achievement for the extremists.

Like any counter-insurgency operations, success in anti-Naxal operations need to fulfil certain policy, strategic and tactical requirements. The strategies must be formulated by the security experts and not by the political class and the detached bureaucracy. The operations must remain a small commander’s war, an effort in which the state police establishment takes the lead and the central police forces pitch in to provide necessary support.

The personnel involved in the sustained operations need to be led intelligently and must have access to ground level intelligence, quality arms and other logistics. The political class must limit itself to provide broad policy directions and demonstrate a steadfast intent to solve the problem and keep it undiluted from partisan considerations.

It would appear that in spite of a decade-long history of counter-Naxal operations in the country (taking the 2004 formation of the CPI-Maoist as a cut off year), none of these basic requirements have been fulfilled in any of the conflict theatres. Under the circumstances, while a dip in violence may be achieved as a result of a tactical favour granted by the extremists, a victory is unimaginable.

Calling the Chhattisgarh police a completely divided force may be a little too sweeping. However, the fact remains that the recent times have witnessed rivalry and unhealthy competition affecting group solidarity, a key component in counter-insurgency theatres. Senior IPS officers in the state have squabbled bitterly laying claims to the post of director general of police in the past months, after the incumbent DGP retired in January 2014.

Intelligence gathering capacities of the police have been questioned by the senior police officers. A senior police official has accused an ADG and DIG in charge of the state’s intelligence branch of turning it into a personal fiefdom and thereby seriously affecting its operations.

Such divisions merely accentuates to the existing capacity crunch. Data reveals that Chhattisgarh has a police density of 31.8 policemen per 100 square kilometres, amounting to roughly a lone policeman managing three square kilometre area. In the inaccessible and remote Bastar division, police presence is expected to be even poorer. In comparison, in terms of sheer numerical strength, other Naxal-affected states like Bihar have a density of 70.8 and Jharkhand 71.5.

Chhattisgarh has managed to improve its total police strength from 23,350 in 2005 to 42,975 in 2012. However, even this near doubling up is clearly not enough. Bihar and Jharkhand with much less geographical area have much larger police force.

In addition, in Chhattisgarh over 26 percent vacancy exists in the SSP/SP/deputy SP level and another 21 percent in the inspector/sub-inspector level demonstrating an acute shortage of officers both at the leadership as well as operational level. To expect such a weak, depleted and demoralised police force to lead the anti-Naxal operations and emerge victorious is inconceivable.

Not surprisingly a Chhattisgarh senior police officer summed up, “We have effectively outsourced the counter-Naxal operations to the central forces.” With the central forces, duty bound to play the role of a supporter or force enabler and certainly not that of a lead force, the fight against the Naxals is marked by enormous confusion and operational frailty.

The recent attacks are as much a failure of the state government as that of New Delhi. In spite of the chronic problem, responses to Naxal attacks are yet to emerge from the realm of politics, with New Delhi blaming Raipur and the latter returning the favour. Following the May 2013 attacks in Darbha, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh blamed “raajnaitik matbhed” (political differences) pointing at a deliberate decision on part of Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled Raipur not to provide security to his party leaders.

While Singh issued a customary statement underlining his resolve to bring the culprits to book, his Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde chose to continue with his holidays in the United States and not return to the country till a week after the incident. The country’s response to Naxalism remains dishonest, to say the least. It is astonishing that in spite of his repeated pronouncements regarding the severity of the problem over the past decade, Dr Singh has failed to give any direction to the much touted anti-Naxal endeavours.

All Naxal-affected states demonstrate similar police as well as governance incapacities. Odd occasions of success and temporary dip in Naxal violence notwithstanding, the states have utterly failed to dominate and make their presence felt over areas under the extremist domination.

Similar to the November 2013 assembly elections in Chhattisgarh, deployment of a large number of security forces may be able to minimise extremist violence during the upcoming elections. However, securing a victory against the Naxals, unless the current force and governance dispositions are drastically altered by the new government in New Delhi, would remain a far-fetched dream.

Indian Strategic Studies: WHY INDIA GOVERNMENT’S ANTI-NAXAL RESPONSE IS A FAILURE – ANALYSIS

Back
Top Bottom