What's new

BIG Pharma says it out aloud!

its like saying I cant afford to buy so its okey to free download pirated copy. Its stealing anyway.

Apart from Big pharma making avariations as part of a new patent, which is a big rip off, it's exactly the point.

If your patents are gonna get ripped off, why make the patented drugs?

There must be a cost effective middle ground that can be reached?

its like saying I cant afford to buy so its okey to free download pirated copy. Its stealing anyway.

We are talking about medical drugs which could save millions not some pirated CD's.....there is a reason people like Robin hood , I don't give a damn about piracy if it helps saves someone daughter or son or wife from cancer...
Infact i say we should export the drug which we have copied back to Africa/ Asia and Europe... they can sulk and whine for all i care

you see no moral dilemma in this?
Copying somebody elses's IP can mean less investment in drug discovery. Drugs are like movies, one superhit drug is supposed to recoup investment made in all other failed products.
If you copy that, no new drug will come to market.

On other hand as a country our govt has responsibility to our poor people, to give them medicine at affordable price.
One way would be to subsidise the price of expensive drugs( the moral thing to do).

Those drugs are made not from companies funds but from govt. funds and from cancer donations made by the public...

no its like saying if you cant afford it you dont deserve to live. only if you have a rich daddy do you deserve to live.

We are talking about medical drugs which could save millions not some pirated CD's.....there is a reason people like Robin hood , I don't give a damn about piracy if it helps saves someone daughter or son or wife from cancer...
Infact i say we should export the drug which we have copied back to Africa/ Asia and Europe... they can sulk and whine for all i care
there is a differnce between action of individuals who cannot see beyond their own nose (I just want my people to be safe, I just want my relatives to be released by terrorist) and govt's action that determines our longer term future as a whole.
Would you rather have no new drugs ever made or drugs being expensive.

there is a differnce between action of individuals who cannot see beyond their own nose (I just want my people to be safe, I just want my relatives to be released by terrorist) and govt's action that determines our longer term future as a whole.

I would rather have someone with an ailment be treated for it if the treatment is available. stop giving doomsday predictions. drug research wont die because some billionaires become millionaires. big pharma tried to patent the neem tree. enough said.

I,d rather have this companies shut down entirely...Go look up history of Novartis and Bayer...i'd say those companies should be banned, closed down and those heads arrested and shot if possible... Its like NEstly CEO saying "Water should not be a right"

as i said check post no. 10....

Billions of Dollars go into cancer research...that is from govt. funds(tax payers money) and from Donations ( our money)...the drugs which they research should be given to public at lower costs... Selling those drugs for 58,000 Dollars just to benefit a rich 0.50% ...no thanks...better to not have drugs at all...

I would rather have someone with an ailment be treated for it if the treatment is available. stop giving doomsday predictions. drug research wont die because some billionaires become millionaires. big pharma tried to patent the neem tree. enough said.
I am talking about the current patent regime which tries to bring a balance between creator of IP and end user's interest.
After a limited period most drugs will be copied anyway.

I am not painting doomsday scenario, I am just seeing what current situation is. We dont have any blockbuster drug discovery in India, do we?
do you want same to happen in germany, US or UK. At least under current scheme you have cheap drugs after 10 years or so.
Am not talking about attempt to prolong patent by devious means, that should be judged on case by case basis.

Another thing, if you think poor has right to live, a huge number of poor cant afford any drugs. Only way you can save them is by making drugs virtually free. Not by slashing it from 10000 dollar to 1000 rupees.

I,d rather have this companies shut down entirely...Go look up history of Novartis and Bayer...i'd say those companies should be banned, closed down and those heads arrested and shot if possible... Its like NEstly CEO saying "Water should not be a right"

as i said check post no. 10....

Billions of Dollars go into cancer research...that is from govt. funds(tax payers money) and from Donations ( our money)...the drugs which they research should be given to public at lower costs... Selling those drugs for 58,000 Dollars just to benefit a rich 0.50% ...no thanks...better to not have drugs at all...
that tax payer are mostly from western nations not our country. If they respect patent regime and willing to pay higher bill, who are we to stop them.
our contribution is stealing. There is nearly no new drug discovery from our country. Dont you think its frightening?

I am talking about the current patent regime which tries to bring a balance between creator of IP and end user's interest.
After a limited period most drugs will be copied anyway.

I am not painting doomsday scenario, I am just seeing what current situation is. We dont have any blockbuster drug discovery in India, do we?
do you want same to happen in germany, US or UK. At least under current scheme you have cheap drugs after 10 years or so.
Am not talking about attempt to prolong patent by devious means, that should be judged on case by case basis.

Another thing, if you think poor has right to live, a huge number of poor cant afford any drugs. Only way you can save them is by making drugs virtually free. Not by slashing it from 10000 dollar to 1000 rupees.

that tax payer are mostly from western nations not our country. If they respect patent regime and willing to pay higher bill, who are we to stop them.
our contribution is stealing.

Whats the point in making drugs for cancer if 99% of the population can't afford it.... Those drugs are made with tax payers money and donations and your telling me its somehow all right to sell them at prices which are beyond 99% of the people...

You are defending something which is outright immoral and sadistic..if drugs prices can be slashed to accommodate a lot more people..then sure... If your feeling so guilty about it ,next time you have cancer ,please don't buy the cheap ones..buy the ones which cost 58,000 Dollars..

India will copy paste the drugs anyway, their companies can either sell it cheaper..or whine about it....

Well what about Private pharmaceuticals who put capital to make medicines? How will they get back their money?

If Chinese were doing this, all the Indians would be jumping up and down about piracy, theft of intellectual property, and rogue behavior on international commerce.

Development and commercialization of pharmaceutical drugs requires billions upon billions of dollars in investment and decades of hard work.

our contribution is stealing. There is nearly no new drug discovery from our country. Don't you think its frightening?

I don;t give a damn if millions of lives are saved....MOrality is far more important than some patent issue...Boohoo...live with it

And yet you would be the first person to buy the Copied drugs if you were a cancer patient....or would you just prefer to die off just because we stole it .. yeh..make a cancer drug and make ir priced so high 99% of the people can't afford it just to make profit and then make a stupid excuse about it....

Whats the point in making drugs for cancer if 99% of the population can't afford it.... Those drugs are made with tax payers money and donations and your telling me its somehow all right to sell them at prices which are beyond 99% of the people...

You are defending something which is outright immoral and sadistic..if drugs prices can be slashed to accommodate a lot more people..then sure... If your feeling so guilty about it next time you have cancer please don't buy the cheap ones..buy the ones which cost 58,000 Dollars..
like I said, as individual I cant see beyond my own benefit and am allowed it in self defence. :)
Whether a govt should officially allow another private company to steal and profit from it, is what we are discussing.
Drug prices are determined by their makers, why cant govts make similar drug discovery inspite of spending billions on other things.
why is it immoral to sell drugs at price nobody can afford?

If Chinese were doing this, all the Indians would be jumping up and down about piracy, theft of intellectual property, and rogue behavior on international commerce.

Development and commercialization of pharmaceutical drugs requires billions upon billions of dollars in investment and decades of hard work.

Chinese are doing this..... we aren't crying about it...Whats the point of the hard work if people can't afford the medicine while the medicine as proven by Indian companies can be made cost effectively to save millions

like I said, as individual I cant see beyond my own benefit and am allowed it in self defence. :)
Whether a govt should officially allow another private company to steal and profit from it, is what we are discussing.
Drug prices are determined by their makers, why cant govts make similar drug discovery inspite of spending billions on other things.

The fact that Indian companies are selling the drugs at 3% of the price and mass distributing it proves that the cost of making this drugs are far lower .... Selling these drugs at deliberately higher prices just to get profit is immoral...

why is it immoral to sell drugs at price nobody can afford?

Did u just ask that ?

Chinese are doing this..... we aren't crying about it...Whats the point of the hard work if people can't afford the medicine while the medicine as proven by Indian companies can be made cost effectively to save millions
do you understand that, the drug wont be there in the first place if western nations copied your idea?
how is it a moral thing to do, by saving 1000 lives you put lives of whole humanity in danger (just like relative of a plane hijacked by terrorists)

So, in another words you are saying let them die if they can't afford it.

I think if it save lives i will steal 100 times. And copying new jet design doesn't save lives. Or making cheap copy of phones . We all in south Asia must appreciate the efforts of generic medicine companies, they have not only saved lives here in south asia but all around the world. Rest if anyone still thinks saving lives is not important that shows how shallow they are and how cheap is the life of poor's in this part of the world.

Did u just ask that ?
yes I did, because most people just repeat what others say without understanding why. or sometimes things appear so obviously true, no thought process is involved in analysing them.
Yes generic drugs is cheaper because you did not spend billions in discovery (majority of newly discovered drugs fail, and only a few are allowed to be sold).

Back
Top Bottom