What's new

Bell 407 GXI for Argentina

Its too early to pitch LUH to foreign customers, before IA,IAF inducting them in numbers.
The intersting point is that Bell 407 GXI comes with Rolls Royce Engine.

I doubt that British parts are that big a trouble as it's made out to be.

For LUH, its not even a start right now. Let's the 12 LSP units be manufactured first.

For LUH, its not even a start right now. Let's the 12 LSP units be manufactured first.
RR Usa may have clearances and pressures that do not have anything to do with the British government.
Also, the Bell 407 is based off an extremely proven airframe family Where the LUH was both unproven and Ecuadorian experience with the Dhruv may have hampered its chances.

Finally, the US wants to make inroads into Argentina and keep any suppliers off its backyard so be it the LUH or Tejas it is a case of geopolitical price.

Its too early to pitch LUH to foreign customers, before IA,IAF inducting them in numbers.
Agreed - a product must be procured in numbers by its OEM especially one that is relatively new to the market before buyers will start trusting it. You can also blame the Dhruv and some experiences with its foreign users(to be blamed by third party suppliers with HAL) in terms of post sale support QA.

RR Usa may have clearances and pressures that do not have anything to do with the British government.
Also, the Bell 407 is based off an extremely proven airframe family Where the LUH was both unproven and Ecuadorian experience with the Dhruv may have hampered its chances.

Finally, the US wants to make inroads into Argentina and keep any suppliers off its backyard so be it the LUH or Tejas it is a case of geopolitical price.
LUH 3-4 years down the line will likely have better export prospects.

For Tejas, its difficult. Countries with low resources want a Trainer which can do combat (like FA50 or FTC2000G). And countries with better resource will go for F35/Rafale/Typhoon types.

The engine is made by an American firm Allison Engine Company which Rolls Royce acquired. the UK has no export control authority on these engines.

This was an interesting choice.
I'm not familiar with the LUH, but I am familiar with the Bell 407 and the AH145.
The 407 and the 145 are two completely different categories of helicopter
The 407 is a single engine, 6 pax aircraft, without autopilot, although it does have a dual channel FADEC for the engine.
The 145 is a twin engine, 10 pax helicopter with a 4-axis autopilot. The 145 generally gets bid against the Bell 412 and Leonardo 139. It's in that category.
The Leonardo A-119 Koala would have been a better comparison to the 407.

The Rolls Royce 250 series engine, (Originally the Allison 250) is a very old design engine. It's been around for well over 50 years, and upgraded many times, including this version with the dual channel FADEC. It is very reliable. I have a lot of experience on this engine.

Back
Top Bottom