What's new

BDL begins initial build of Astra Mk1 BVRAAM

P@nThEr

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India’s state-owned Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) has inaugurated a special production facility to manufacture an initial production batch of the indigenously-developed Astra Mk1 beyond-visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM). The production batch is intended to begin arming the Indian Air Force’s (IAF’s) fleet of Sukhoi Su-30MKI’s multi-role fighters by the year-end.

Launched on 27 August at Sangareddy in southern India, BDL’s ‘dedicated’ unit will initially build just 50 of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)-designed all-weather Astra Mk 1.Thereafter, a planned follow-on Astra production order is intended to equip IAF Mirage-2000H and MiG-29 fighter aircraft – and possibly the locally developed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft – supplementing the IAF’s Rafael Advanced Defence Systems Derby BVRAAM system.
http://www.janes.com/article/73576/bdl-begins-initial-build-of-astra-mk1-bvraam

http://www.janes.com/article/73576/bdl-begins-initial-build-of-astra-mk1-bvraam
upload_2017-9-7_14-2-17.jpeg

India’s state-owned Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) has inaugurated a special production facility to manufacture an initial production batch of the indigenously-developed Astra Mk1 beyond-visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM). The production batch is intended to begin arming the Indian Air Force’s (IAF’s) fleet of Sukhoi Su-30MKI’s multi-role fighters by the year-end.

Launched on 27 August at Sangareddy in southern India, BDL’s ‘dedicated’ unit will initially build just 50 of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)-designed all-weather Astra Mk 1.Thereafter, a planned follow-on Astra production order is intended to equip IAF Mirage-2000H and MiG-29 fighter aircraft – and possibly the locally developed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft – supplementing the IAF’s Rafael Advanced Defence Systems Derby BVRAAM system.

But what about the seeker??You think HELINA's seeker could be tweaked to fit into WVR-AAM?

Not too sure, but obviously a derivative of it can work. I guess making seeker for ATGM is more tough than that for an AAM, as ground targets have lot of thermal noise more the surrounding environment.

Not too sure, but obviously a derivative of it can work. I guess making seeker for ATGM is more tough than that for an AAM, as ground targets have lot of thermal noise more the surrounding environment.
I think the algorithm would need to be rewritten for airborne application, otherwise, the current seeker should be good enough.I mean if it can pick up a tank in a desert in the middle of a summer noon, then it should work against an aircraft just fine, right?

I think the algorithm would need to be rewritten for airborne application, otherwise, the current seeker should be good enough.I mean if it can pick up a tank in a desert in the middle of a summer noon, then it should work against an aircraft just fine, right?
It needs to see at a distance of 20 to 40 range,that's the challenge. Also remember one thing LCA doesn't have irst to help missile.

Great news. Anyway can anyone tell if Astra will be fitted on Rafales in future?

Good development, finally the indigenous products are pushed correctly. First make enough number for local use.

What is the status on Astra MK2?

Astra is the most important missile in our arsenal after upcoming meteor. I don't believe r77.

Back
Top Bottom